Furnishing your home, as a new migrant

DukeNinja

It turns out that even with the low exchange rate, on the whole, shopping at IKEA Australia works out cheaper than at its UK counterpart. And that's before reading into account the higher wages over here.

JB HIFI have got free delivery on white goods for most metropolitan areas at the moment. We got a 400l Samsung top mount fridge freezer for less than $700.

Got a 1100w LG inverter microwave from thegoodguys for $179, including delivery.

It's paid to shop around.

• Like 1

I've also found the joys of KMart and Target! There are some treasures to be found among the tack.

Also, H&M is quite reasonably priced.

I don't start work for another week, so I'm still using my savings, hence mentally converting AUD to GBP, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much more affordable things can be, contrary to what I previously thought.

• Like 1

Not in Australia yet but I plan on looking at among the ones you already mentioned...Ebay, Groupon, Charity shops, markets, boot sales, The Reject Shop and Dollar King or equivalent for bargains... I don't think there is a thread for Bargains, there should be a 'Bargain Corner,' thread for each city :) 

Edited by Zatara80
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

It turns out that even with the low exchange rate, on the whole, shopping at IKEA Australia works out cheaper than at its UK counterpart. And that's before reading into account the higher wages over here.

JB HIFI have got free delivery on white goods for most metropolitan areas at the moment. We got a 400l Samsung top mount fridge freezer for less than $700.

Got a 1100w LG inverter microwave from thegoodguys for $179, including delivery.

It's paid to shop around.

Completely agree with @DukeNinja JB HiFi are who we went through in the end and we also shopped around (The Good Guys, Harvey Norman etc.). I wrote a post about this type of thing recently. It is very easy (almost expected) to haggle here. We just had a look and decided on what items we wished to buy, then asked the sales person for their 'best price' and also let other sales people from other stores quote on that 'best price'.

I think we might have just bought the same fridge freezer @DukeNinja was it this one? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods-appliances/fridges-freezers/samsung/samsung-sr400lstc-400l-top-mount-fridge-l-steel/940462/ (they took over $120 off the advertised price). We paid delivery tho :-( ah well, can't win them all!

2 hours ago, michaleasmum said:

Do they have Car Boot sales in Oz?

I think they call them swap meets, we've seen a few where people drive to a location but then set up a stall in an area on the pavement (ie not alongside your car). Seems to be very popular here!

6 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Completely agree with @DukeNinja JB HiFi are who we went through in the end and we also shopped around (The Good Guys, Harvey Norman etc.). I wrote a post about this type of thing recently. It is very easy (almost expected) to haggle here. We just had a look and decided on what items we wished to buy, then asked the sales person for their 'best price' and also let other sales people from other stores quote on that 'best price'.

I think we might have just bought the same fridge freezer @DukeNinja was it this one? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods-appliances/fridges-freezers/samsung/samsung-sr400lstc-400l-top-mount-fridge-l-steel/940462/ (they took over $120 off the advertised price). We paid delivery tho :-( ah well, can't win them all!

Yes it is!! Great minds think alike ?

if you are happy with second hand, dont dismiss the likes of cash converters, especially for tools etc. Replaced a lot of the stuff i left behind. Bought a circular saw from there for $30 2 years ago, and still goes strong, drills and even some hand tools

The electronics side less so (although just bought my son a drum kit for $70!), but there are still bargains to be had.

Edited by kevsan
update

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes everyone please don't forget to haggle, the largest discount I have had is $1,000 as we bought quite a few items together. Also check what competitors are selling the item for as most will price match

Guest The Pom Queen
On 13/09/2017 at 07:42, calNgary said:

Yes but they are not as common as the UK, the 'thing' here is garage sales.

Cal x

Yes 95% of people hold garage sales, I really can't understand why car boot sales haven't caught on. Surely it would be a win win for both seller and buyer. 

'There are markets around that usually sell local crafts, fruit etc but then they have usually finished by the time I've woke up as they close by lunch

If anyone`s in the market for a new electric toothbrush, Chemist Warehouse have got the Oral B Genius 8000 Silver for $139.99, but stock is low, so you`ll need to check your local branch. I picked mine up from the Mango Hill branch.

Ideally I would have preferred a Philips Sonicare Diamondclean, however my last one died after 15 months. Whilst it was bein used though, it was amazing, imho, far better clean feeling that any Oral B.

However, my first Oral B 3000 lasted 5 years, so I`ll take reliability over performance any day.

5 hours ago, B1K3R said:

Hmm, interesting as we'll need to buy a few thing when we land in a month. For prices, I usually double check on https://www.appliancesonline.com.au

How come you opted for JB HiFi...they gave you the best price? Heard the Good Guys have a good service/deals in general.

That's a good website too. I know you asked Duke, but for us, we went with JBHiFi as they gave better service in the end, had cheaper delivery charges, had a wider range for what we were after and beat the Good Guys price. Their delivery guys were outstanding.

I found out that JB actually owns the Good Guys!

11 hours ago, B1K3R said:

Hmm, interesting as we'll need to buy a few thing when we land in a month. For prices, I usually double check on https://www.appliancesonline.com.au

How come you opted for JB HiFi...they gave you the best price? Heard the Good Guys have a good service/deals in general.

Just because they had the best combination of price and delivery costs (in this case, free delivery). I am a hardened value for money customer, and it makes me feel literally sick if I pay over the odds for something. Plus I enjoy the research!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Hey @DukeNinja where would you shop in the UK For bargains? I have just returned and after 17 years not sure where the best value is to be had. Although probably not John Lewis ?

Hey @ScottieGirl, I have found that online shopping has always saved me substantial amounts of dosh over buying in store. Plus, you have different rights (look up distance buying regulations, especially regarding returns), which may turn out to be more advantageous if you're buying online.

I swear by Amazon.co.uk., and I have a Prime Account, which is amazing for FREE NEXT DAY delivery! The membership cost is about GBP79 per year, but you also get access to Prime videos. If you do not want to pay full price for membership, they usually reduce this down to about GBP59 in October/November, closer to their Black Friday week.

Their customer service has been faultless-the Philips Sonicare Diamondclean i mentioned packed up after 15 months, so I called them, and they refunded the FULL amount immediately. (Also I paid GBP89 for the toothbrush, instead of the usual price of around 150)

I bought a bed from them, and one of the slats was broken. They offered to pick up and deliver a new one, when available, or offered us 20% refund. I`ve got other stories that confirm how great a company they are with regards to customer service.

If you do want to use Amazon for shopping, it might be worth registering with a price tracking website such as ukcamemcamelcamel, who will automatically email you once the price of the item you`re looking at drops down.

It`s worth noting that if you use a stock Android smartphone, and have Google Now set up, if you research stuff on your phone, the Google Now screen (swipe right to access) will show you price updates.

Sports Direct do reasonably priced sports clothing/equipment.

Edited by DukeNinja

10 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Hey @DukeNinja where would you shop in the UK For bargains? I have just returned and after 17 years not sure where the best value is to be had. Although probably not John Lewis ?

Depends on what type of items you are looking for but a good start could be  'Offer of the day,' they generally list reduced items and bargains on one website covering many stores across the UK. Money saving expert also have threads on bargains to be had across the UK.

Facebook also has marketplace which is similar to Ebay and quite useful, mainly second hand but new items are sold as well.

Check Ebuyer.com for bargain electrical items.

Edited by Zatara80

We wanted a leather sofa and they always take time to order, even from Ikea.  We got a real bargain by asking places what they had to go now, in other words floor stock or display items.  We could check the actual sofa out and got it delivered the next day.  Mind it took a lot of driving round to find "the one"

COSTCO also good, not much choice but you can take it straight away ( may need a van as they don't deliver).  Best thing is their guarantees, no quibble money back and often longer than manufacturer.   Our fridge freezer, TV, microwave and coffee machine all Costco.  We hired a cheap van to pick up and it was still cheaper.

Aldi do a lot of household stuff too and worth a look at the ' muddle in the middle'

Freecycle works in many areas too.  Also look out on forums like these in the for sale sections.  Many people heading back home are selling stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 07:51, KPG said:

Could Costco be an option as well?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Yes as I mentioned above. Been here four years and still use our UK membership. 

As a member you can shop anywhere in the world. 

They gave us a refund here on an item bought over a year ago in the U.K.  The manufacturers warranty would not have covered it. 

Cant beat that service. 

• Like 1