Where to retire in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Well as a UK retiree on the Sunshine Coast, i am one of many many ex Brits here. Most of us don’t want a big garden a). because we are out all the time enjoying life,    b) because it gets hot with high humidity for 3/4 months of the year and gardening is tough then. Plenty of houses for sale that aren’t on the crowded new housing estates. 

No idea how many want to retire here these days, but a lot of us came on the old retirement visa. Now the only option would seem to be as parents applying for the parent visa.

Something else to mention to anyone thinking of retiring, is to think long term. We have been here 16 years, and like many were guilty of  lack of long term thought, buying a house that suited us in our early 60’s, that might not be suitable as we aged. We bought a 2 storey house, which luckily will still be fine if we can no longer manage the stairs, because we have 2 bedrooms on the ground floor,.This also applies if hopefully you can stay in your home long term, do you really still want a large garden in your 70’s or 80’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

The Sunshine Coast certainly has grown, @ramot.Coolum was a few scattered houses and a caravan park.

I did the initial base investigation for the Coolum High School. The whole area was a paddock. I think it was  in 1982/3 

Cheers, Bobj.

Bit More built up now!! The Sunshine Coast has changed so much even in the relatively short time we have lived here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Something else to mention to anyone thinking of retiring, is to think long term. We have been here 16 years, and like many were guilty of  lack of long term thought, buying a house that suited us in our early 60’s, that might not be suitable as we aged. We bought a 2 storey house, which luckily will still be fine if we can no longer manage the stairs, because we have 2 bedrooms on the ground floor,.This also applies if hopefully you can stay in your home long term, do you really still want a large garden in your 70’s or 80’s.

No stairs, no steps and a small easy care garden   ............  that's us.  I do have a plot for growing veggies at the community garden though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bobj said:

Retired here 20 years ago, Downtown Ball Bay.  No earthly reason to change from my peaceful backwater.

P1060975.JPG.04cf864e306f335030582e2e4403df44.JPG

No shops, no litter, part of a community rather than a face in a rat race.

Uptown Ball Bay,  looking downtown...

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.d6622395e087667dfb2cf71addce257c.JPG

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. The phone booth and a school bus shelter are the only public utilities in the village.

Ball Bay looks stuuning bob, we are on track finacially to retire at 65 and want to do the grey nomad thing for 2-3 years after that i'd be quite happy to sit on those rocks with you fishing!

• Thanks 1