Parent 600 visitor visa and 8503(No further stay) conundrum - advice needed

JustUs

Hi all,

I need some advice on what to do. My sibling and I are PR's here (2 out of 3 siblings). My parents who are 76 and 67yrs old, would like to visit for longer periods to spend more time with their grandchildren. So far they've been traveling on a tourist visa and have only ever stayed for 2-3 weeks as they still work. As they are getting older, travel might be more difficult and I envisage a time when they might want to live here permanently, closer to us but this is still probably a couple of years away.

I was looking at getting them the 600 subclass visitor visa which apparently can be approved for either 3-5 years with a maximum stay period of 12 months in any 18 month period. I thought of applying for this visa to enable them to visit for up to 12 months, until they decide to move permanently.  I thought then, perhaps I would apply for the Aged Parent Visa(804) and they could live here continuously on a bridging visa and my sibling and I would be their sponsors and purchase health insurance to cover their medical needs.

However, there appears to be the "8503" clause on the 600 visitor visa which prevents "applying" for further stay under any circumstance. Does this mean they can't apply for the 804 Aged Parent Visa, then once they get a 600 visitor visa?

It's all very confusing and I do not want to start them on a process that might end up with them not having the option to apply to stay permanently. 

To get a bridging visa, they need to be in Australia at the time of lodgement, I gather. And so, would they be able to apply for the 804 visa while in Australia on the 600 visa?

I would really, really appreciate some advice on this issue and what my best options are...Thanks in advance everyone! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

Why do they not do it properly and just apply for the CPV? Sitting on bridging visas and faffing around with tourist visas is just wasting their time. If they want to live in Aus then just apply for the CPV and be done with it.

"Properly" Quoll? 

There's nothing 'improper' about what was postulating. Nor was it illegal. I am just looking at options based on our current situation and making the assumption that they may decide to move permanently in the future. I do not wish to jeopardise their future prospects in obtaining a PR based on a miscalculation.

I gather that if they do decide on the CPV, it can take up to 3 years and they still might be on a bridging visa...

Ok not "improper" per de but it is against the intent of a visitors visa to rock up intending them to apply for a permanent visa. If they want to live in Australia they should just apply for the CPV, wait their turn, take holidays in the interim and not have to live in the limbo of bridging visas and uncertainties that such visas bring. If they apply now it'll be ready by the time they're thinking of moving.

6 hours ago, JustUs said:

"Properly" Quoll? 

There's nothing 'improper' about what was postulating. Nor was it illegal. I am just looking at options based on our current situation and making the assumption that they may decide to move permanently in the future. I do not wish to jeopardise their future prospects in obtaining a PR based on a miscalculation.

I gather that if they do decide on the CPV, it can take up to 3 years and they still might be on a bridging visa...

Would be worth noting Alan's comment above.......