Best sun lotion

sunshinedawn

When we first came over I would have said bring SF50 as back then they didn't do anything above a SF30 this changed in 2012 thankfully. Have a look at the prices on Chemist Warehouse http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/Shop-Online/214/Sunscreen,-Lotions-Gels that will give you a rough idea

Thanks I've had a quick look, I think I will be bringing out a few bottles of factor 50 and 30 to keep us going

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

1 hour ago, sunshinedawn said:

Random questions to ask. Is it best to bring a bucket load of sun lotion with us or is it best to buy when we come out. As it's the end of season here it's all on offer. Do UK sun lotions work as well in Australia

Bring it. The  Aussie stuff is sticky and white, Aussies were bought up on that and think it doesn't work if it isn't.  The UK stuff is much nicer IMO and easier to apply.

7 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

Thank you, I wasn't too sure if the UK ones would provide the same protection as the Australian ones

No - the EU and Aus/NZ testing standards are different.  The Aus standard includes a test in swirling water for a certain length of time which the EU standard doesn't.  At least, that was the situation when this subject was discussed on this forum several years ago.  I'm not aware that anything has changed since then.

TBH I'd not buy masses and ship. It has a shelf life and while we get through a couple of bottles a year, I prefer to buy annually than have say 5 years supply as it'd be no good then. I just like to know its recent and in useable condition if I am going to be slapping it on here. IIRC they have a shelf life of 12-18 months. 

FWIW, Aussie stores also have sales of sun cream. And often at the start or mid season, not just at the end of the summer. I'd just wait till you get here and buy as you need and find a decent one that works for you. We have little pocket tubes to send to school on school bags, small tube in handbag and that kind of thing. Plus a great big pot by the front door. I did my homework as to what brand we prefer to use and so buy when on special each season. 

EU ratings, if you do plan to buy some to bring I'd focus on the UVA rating and ensure its got stars. The more the better. 

Its always worth reading up and getting your head round the factor ratings, UVA and UVB protection and so on. And to also learn about how much you should actually be applying and how often as so many times I see people woefully undercover and fail to re apply at regular intervals. 

Also keep in mind UV clothing like hats and rashies are good, especially for kids. We also ensure all of us have decent UV rated sunnies, including the kids. 

TBH I'd not buy masses and ship. It has a shelf life and while we get through a couple of bottles a year, I prefer to buy annually than have say 5 years supply as it'd be no good then. I just like to know its recent and in useable condition if I am going to be slapping it on here. IIRC they have a shelf life of 12-18 months. 
FWIW, Aussie stores also have sales of sun cream. And often at the start or mid season, not just at the end of the summer. I'd just wait till you get here and buy as you need and find a decent one that works for you. We have little pocket tubes to send to school on school bags, small tube in handbag and that kind of thing. Plus a great big pot by the front door. I did my homework as to what brand we prefer to use and so buy when on special each season. 
EU ratings, if you do plan to buy some to bring I'd focus on the UVA rating and ensure its got stars. The more the better. 
Its always worth reading up and getting your head round the factor ratings, UVA and UVB protection and so on. And to also learn about how much you should actually be applying and how often as so many times I see people woefully undercover and fail to re apply at regular intervals. 
Also keep in mind UV clothing like hats and rashies are good, especially for kids. We also ensure all of us have decent UV rated sunnies, including the kids. 

Thank you for this information. I was going to bring out a few bottles of factor 50 just to get us through the first few months. We are coming out in November which i believe is the start of summer.

1 minute ago, sunshinedawn said:

Thank you for this information. I was going to bring out a few bottles of factor 50 just to get us through the first few months. We are coming out in November which i believe is the start of summer.

Factor 50 on its own doesn't mean much tbh. 

As I said, look at the UVA ratings on bottles sold in the EU. The more stars the better. That with a factor 50 (and reading consumer test results as some well known brands can fair worse than some store own brands in testing). Shop wisely and ensure its tested well also if possible. 

UVA star system

When you currently buy sunscreen containing UVA protection in the UK you may notice a UVA star rating on the packaging. The stars range from 0 to 5 and indicate the percentage of UVA radiation absorbed by the sunscreen in comparison to UVB, in other words the ratio between the level of protection afforded by the UVA protection and the UVB protection.

Be aware that if you choose a low SPF it may still have a high level of stars, not because it is providing lots of UVA protection, but because the ratio between the UVA and UVB protection is about the same.

That’s why it’s important to choose a high SPF as well as a high UVA protection (e.g. a high number of stars). Sunscreens that offer both UVA and UVB protection are sometimes called ‘broad spectrum’. A sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and a UVA rating of 4 or 5 stars is generally considered as a good standard of sun protection in addition to shade and clothing.

Factor 50 on its own doesn't mean much tbh. 
As I said, look at the UVA ratings on bottles sold in the EU. The more stars the better. That with a factor 50 (and reading consumer test results as some well known brands can fair worse than some store own brands in testing). Shop wisely and ensure its tested well also if possible. 

UVA star system

When you currently buy sunscreen containing UVA protection in the UK you may notice a UVA star rating on the packaging. The stars range from 0 to 5 and indicate the percentage of UVA radiation absorbed by the sunscreen in comparison to UVB, in other words the ratio between the level of protection afforded by the UVA protection and the UVB protection.

Be aware that if you choose a low SPF it may still have a high level of stars, not because it is providing lots of UVA protection, but because the ratio between the UVA and UVB protection is about the same.

That’s why it’s important to choose a high SPF as well as a high UVA protection (e.g. a high number of stars). Sunscreens that offer both UVA and UVB protection are sometimes called ‘broad spectrum’. A sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and a UVA rating of 4 or 5 stars is generally considered as a good standard of sun protection in addition to shade and clothing.

Thank you I will be checking all the bottles now for the star rating

For example, this one has a 4 star UVA rating (see pic of rear of bottle)

https://www.superdrug.com/Nivea/Nivea-Sun-F50-Kids-P%26S-Spray/p/375952

Now, its a factor 50 spray and I've not read reviews on it. But I'd be put off its a spray as prefer the lotions you rub in as spray can be hit and miss so you need to ensure you use plenty and don't skrimp. But it does have a high UVA rating which is a good starting point. 

However, this also has a UVA 4 star rating and is a lotion, which I prefer over sprays or sticks. Coverage can be better IMHO. 

https://www.superdrug.com/Nivea/Nivea-Sun-Kids-Lotion-SPF-50-200ml/p/157414

This is a handy reference for Aus. 

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/beauty-and-personal-care/skin-care-and-cosmetics/buying-guides/sunscreen

Oh, one other thing. I had to swap brands as one I used stung our eyes so badly. Given we apply suncream to our faces repeatedly, and over eyelids also and around eye area, you really want to be certain whatever one you are buying is not going to cause issues. We found a brand that doesn't cause our eyes to sting when we work up a bit of a sweat in the heat. 

15 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

Random questions to ask. Is it best to bring a bucket load of sun lotion with us or is it best to buy when we come out. As it's the end of season here it's all on offer. Do UK sun lotions work as well in Australia

Unless you have an allergy, or prefer a specific brand, then I would buy it in Australia. We use sunsense as my son reacts to everything else (not a recommendation - just a process of elimination - although it is pretty good stuff. They do an oily one though, avoid that as it doesn't rub in and gets everywhere) 

By it in the UK or Aus.

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/67789/Ego-Sunsense-SPF-50-Ultra-500ml

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/sunsense-ultra-spf50-pump-500ml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShop"&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu9eqvoyV1gIVjrDtCh0fgQbMEAQYASABEgKMgfD_BwE

It's cheaper in Aus - but then it may be an Aussie brand. Others could be cheaper in the UK.

16 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

As long as the creams have a decent uva + uvb rating , and a min factor 25 they will be fine.

Saying this though, I wouldn't bother bringing any, you can buy a big 1tr of F50 for about $15 ( £9 ish ) 

I would also recommend decent sunglasses with a 3 rating and if want to spend a bit more polarised lenses ( 3p )

Edited by Wa7

Sunscreen is so much cheaper over here. We buy the massive tubs of SPF 50 - Coles own brand. We have never burnt and I have very fair skin. You will get through large quantities of the stuff so you might as well just get used to a new brand. 

Sunscreen has a shelf life and probably wouldn't travel that well in the high heat of a container and you wouldn't want to waste cabin luggage space on something that you can buy cheaply everywhere. 

Buy it here, it is much cheaper and designed for Australian conditions (the sun burns hotter here due to the lack of ozone)

Sunscreen does go out of date, never put on out of date sunscreen, it has the opposite effect, it is like putting on baby oil, you will burn.  Out of date sunscreen should be binned.

The locals are very wary of the sun, cover up and try to stay out of it (no hat no play in schools).  I remember Australian work colleagues giving out to us when we were backpackers for getting too much sun.  They have much more respect for the power of the sun.

• 3 months later...