Schooling

Berniearry

Hi we don't fly to oz till the 4/10/17

my sons not at school for 6 wks now. He's a Mensa member with an extremely high IQ he's only 11 & in the top 1% in the uk for high IQ"s

Is the education pretty much the same curriculum in oz to the uk. I'm looking at workbooks as my sons bored already. Not sure which ones to get. He's doing 6 wks in primary school in oz then going into yr 7 In jan 2018.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Guest The Pom Queen

I don't know if it's changed but we found Australian schools to be behind the UK ones which was good for us as they didn't miss out on any education. You could always get your son the higher year workbooks and if he excels he could maybe jump up a year 

Okay, first off there is more to being successful academically than being intelligent, and more to school life than just studying.  I say this as a mum with one intelligent child that works hard and one 'gifted' child that doesn't.  Second, I'm not sure where you are moving to but there are high schools here in Adelaide that run programs for gifted and talented children.  My youngest (the 'gifted' one) starts high school in January as is doing a special STEM program where they complete years 8, 9 and 10 in two years with a STEM focus to their learning.  My eldest turned down the opportunity to do an extension program in year 10 at the same school.  I would be surprised if there weren't schools that did something similar all over Australia.  Maybe see if you can seek out one of these schools and get your son on an extension program.  The gifted and talented programs here require an entry exam and only the top students are selected but it couldn't hurt to contact schools with these kinds of programs and see if you can get your son in one.

Firstly I know there's more to life than studying. As a mum of 4, 3 daughters ages 28,21 & 18 all very intelligent & successful with great careers. My sons very gifted. Doesn't have to work hard at anything. Like I said originally my sons a member of Mensa.
I've looked at the STEM program in QLD my sons not sure what he wants to do right now.
All I really wanted to know was the curriculum pretty much the same as the uk.

15 minutes ago, Berniearry said:

Firstly I know there's more to life than studying. As a mum of 4, 3 daughters ages 28,21 & 18 all very intelligent & successful with great careers. My sons very gifted. Doesn't have to work hard at anything. Like I said originally my sons a member of Mensa.
I've looked at the STEM program in QLD my sons not sure what he wants to do right now.
All I really wanted to know was the curriculum pretty much the same as the uk.

Different country, so there will of course be differences in the curriculum.

Wait until you get here and decide where you want to live. If going to a public school, then you will be restricted by the catchment area.

Does your son require an EA (education assistant)? In an earlier post you said that he has 'severe' autism. That will most likely guide your choices and the level of support (if any) needed.

There are selective schools that run talented and gifted programs  but he will have missed the exam to enter those programs. However, there may still be opportunities for him to sit the test in the future to obtain a place. Be aware that many parents spend thousands having their children privately tutored before they sit the test. Being a member of Mensa does not automatically mean academic success, as nice as that is, many people are members of Mensa. I think perhaps take the focus off Mensa membership (means nothing here for school) and instead look for a school that you feel will support your son both socially and academically with excellent extension opportunities.

• Like 4

One of my grandchildren skipped 2 years ( she still comes out around the top of her year level) The BIG downside is she is now doing VCE 2 years early and some uni courses are closed to her because she is too young .  Personally I would never let a child skip year levels but it has worked for her intellectually and she has plenty of friends so I guess emotionally, for this particular girl, it is ok. Her brother is studying medicine and he also skipped a year but one year seems to be no problem re tertiary courses.

• Like 1

Different country, so there will of course be differences in the curriculum.

Wait until you get here and decide where you want to live. If going to a public school, then you will be restricted by the catchment area.

Does your son require an EA (education assistant)? In an earlier post you said that he has 'severe' autism. That will most likely guide your choices and the level of support (if any) needed.

There are selective schools that run talented and gifted programs  but he will have missed the exam to enter those programs. However, there may still be opportunities for him to sit the test in the future to obtain a place. Be aware that many parents spend thousands having their children privately tutored before they sit the test. Being a member of Mensa does not automatically mean academic success, as nice as that is, many people are members of Mensa. I think perhaps take the focus off Mensa membership (means nothing here for school) and instead look for a school that you feel will support your son both socially and academically with excellent extension opportunities.

We already have a house in North Lakes. We've an interview at deception bay primary school & also one at deception bay high school. They are the perfect sizes for my son. I only mentioned Mensa as one I'm very proud of my boy. Also they do recognise Mensa all over the world. They have at the schools we've got interviews at. It helps knowing where he's at academically.
He's done amazing achieving so much at such a young age. He is autistic but very bright. He was in a main stream infant school then junior school aswell.
He had support in social skills but academically he just flew through school. I just don't want him doing nothing for the next 5-6 wks. He's bored I've got some work books my friend in Melbourne's sent out to me I've gone two yrs above as he was doing work two yrs above in maths , English & science. Thankyou for your advice. Much appreciated