Working Holiday

Joseph17

Hi, 

I am planning to visit Australia for a working holiday in the near future. I would like some information regarding what is the best time to start and from where. Also is it difficult to find jobs? I' ve been reading too many posts in different forums and I could say that it isn't easy as one can hope for. Regarding what kind of job I will be looking for, I am very open for that. I will not be able to do a second year so I'll try and skip farming. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

.  There is plenty of work in Australia. You just need to understand how to search for them and what to expect.  For examples, working holiday jobs and backpacker jobs are completely different.  Also, you can apply for any job when on a working holiday visa. 

Also great advice on how to avoid being scammed.

• 4 weeks later...

I used seek and found a job in Melbourne in around 2 weeks (That was in June though) 

My friend who i was traveling with found a job in 1 day. He is a mechanic and walked into all the garages handing out his CV and one (Mazda) called him back for an interview and offered him a job that day. 

I think it depends what you want to do, what qualifications you have and what part of the country you are in. 

Unemployment in Australia is officially about the same as the UK.   Like the UK, it varies from city to city.   There is always more work in the major cities (i.e. Sydney, Melbourne) but it's also a LOT more expensive to live in those cities.

Do you want to work in your own profession, and if so, what do you do?   

If you're looking for casual jobs (e.g. bar work, waitressing) I'd suggest coming just before the summer holidays (i.e. December) and looking for work in restaurants or retail in the holiday areas, e.g. the Whitsundays

https://sailing-whitsundays.com/article/finding-work-in-the-whitsundays

Of course the pay won't be good and the hours will be long, but it's definitely a dream location.

Hey! this is exciting ! I am in Australia now from the UK and have been for around 15 months. I first arrived in Melbourne in December where I had booked an airbnb for 3 months. The weather in Melbourne was perfect at this time so definitely worth going, the one thing I would say which is reiterating someone elses point. We did not start work until late january/ early Feb. This was fine for us because we had money saved and had not planned to work over the Christmas period - however, the job market did seem DRY at this point! As you can understand, No company would want to make a change to their personnel the week before a new year begins. Just something to think about ! Hope it helps!

Edited by snifter
Removed link