You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Surbello

For unskilled work: Adelaide, Perth or Canberra?

Hello everyone, my name is Andreas and this next november-december I am going to travel to Australia. My problem is I do not know where to go. 

I studied something related with construction and my experience in that area in my opinion is medium. Where I do not have experience is in english language. I have to say that will be a big problem for me at the beginning but I am sure I will solve it quickly because I love english. 

I am under 30 years old, I like big cities but does not necessary have to be Sydney or Melbourne, I think small city (1M people) can be better to find a room and know the differences little by little between my country and your country. I looked for information about Perth, Adelaide and Canberra. At the end, all the information I have found about them is: it is okay but they are not Sydney or Melbourne... xD

During my Visa time I can move around the country as much as I want, so I prefer arrive in a small city, spend there (2,3,6... months) to speak and understand your language better than the first day and then if I have a good feeling move to Sydney (for example). What is your opinion about my idea? During that first stage I assume I will work in unskilled work, but it is okay for me.

Now knowing my profile which of those cities I told you before would you live in?

Thank you for your time, sorry for my write mistakes I thank you for your help.

Andreas

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Good luck Andreas,  I can't speak for Adelaide or Canberra but Perth is doing it quite tough at the moment with work hard to come to by for nearly all trades.  Many people in Perth are moving or commuting to Sydney and Melbourne.

There is a lot of construction work going on in Sydney at the moment with 3 very large public projects underway (WestConnex, NW rail and Light rail)

Also things tend to get very quiet nearly everywhere in Australia (except tourism) in Dec and Jan as it is Xmas and then the long summer holidays so many people go away.  It can be hard to find work from about mid Nov to Australia day (Jan 26) when things start picking up again.

I know you say that it would prefer a smaller city but for a young person exploring Australia, you may find Adelaide, Canberra and even Perth very quiet.  There is a large backpacker scene in Sydney and Melbourne and then people tend to head north up the East coast to/of Queensland in the cooler months (April - Sept).

Personally, I don't see the attraction of Canberra at all for somebody visiting (although I had a few good nights there in my youth).  For me Australia is about the weather and beach lifestyle which you will not get in Canberra.

Good luck and have a blast. 

Canberra isn't that great for casual unskilled jobs, we don't get many WHV holders but everyone should try the National Capital for a while at least. Just around the summer holidays time is not a good time for anyone to be looking for casual work - you'll be in competition with the local kids on holidays and Canberra is very much a "who you know" rather than "what you know" but if you can develop skills as an outstanding barista you should pick up something!

Adelaide can be good for backpackers at certain times of the year. There can be lots of farm work (fruit picking, wineries etc) and some work down on Kangaroo Island which may be worth checking out. 

Also a couple of youth hostels that are often busy and perhaps a chance of finding work or word of mouth from others using those places.

16 hours ago, Collie said:

Good luck Andreas,  I can't speak for Adelaide or Canberra but Perth is doing it quite tough at the moment with work hard to come to by for nearly all trades.  Many people in Perth are moving or commuting to Sydney and Melbourne.

There is a lot of construction work going on in Sydney at the moment with 3 very large public projects underway (WestConnex, NW rail and Light rail)

Also things tend to get very quiet nearly everywhere in Australia (except tourism) in Dec and Jan as it is Xmas and then the long summer holidays so many people go away.  It can be hard to find work from about mid Nov to Australia day (Jan 26) when things start picking up again.

I know you say that it would prefer a smaller city but for a young person exploring Australia, you may find Adelaide, Canberra and even Perth very quiet.  There is a large backpacker scene in Sydney and Melbourne and then people tend to head north up the East coast to/of Queensland in the cooler months (April - Sept).

Personally, I don't see the attraction of Canberra at all for somebody visiting (although I had a few good nights there in my youth).  For me Australia is about the weather and beach lifestyle which you will not get in Canberra.

Good luck and have a blast. 

Thank you for your answer Collie :)

I completely agree with your response, but my fear is the demand/supply to rent a room. Here in my country I have and idea how difficult is to find a good room at a fair price, so I can't imagine the same in Sydney or Melbourne (both are Top10 cities in the world). 

About Perth, thank you for the information, I have read something about the construction work decent, so I just discarded that option right now ;)

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

Canberra isn't that great for casual unskilled jobs, we don't get many WHV holders but everyone should try the National Capital for a while at least. Just around the summer holidays time is not a good time for anyone to be looking for casual work - you'll be in competition with the local kids on holidays and Canberra is very much a "who you know" rather than "what you know" but if you can develop skills as an outstanding barista you should pick up something!

Thank you for your point of view Quoll. 

is very much a "who you know" rather than "what you know"  :laugh:

I will consider to flight to Australia after summer holidays.

11 hours ago, snifter said:

Adelaide can be good for backpackers at certain times of the year. There can be lots of farm work (fruit picking, wineries etc) and some work down on Kangaroo Island which may be worth checking out. 

Also a couple of youth hostels that are often busy and perhaps a chance of finding work or word of mouth from others using those places.

Interesting. I keep your response as an other option ;)

And this question for all of you: What is your idea about Toowoomba? 1h aprox. from Brisbane, 100k people (more native speakers in my opinion, good for me) and it seems it has a good opportunities. 

Thank you mates :)

I speak from 2013 but I'd avoid Adelaide if looking for unskilled work unless you have connections. Loads of work in Perth when I was there but that was during the boom. 

Edited by digitalis

Haven't had an accident in years, see plenty in my rear view mirror mind....

There is a very neat and tidy Backpackers Hostel at Mclaren Vale - South Australia - they have their own transport that takes workers to the Vinyards etc maybe google it and see what it entails