Early Years Reception Teacher Jobs

Ann74

Hello,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of obtaining an early years teaching role in Australia? I currently teach a Reception class & am early years leader in an English primary school. Would I need to do any additional training to gain employment in Australia and what sort of pay could I expect to receive? What would I do about my teacher pension? We move next year & have permanent residency visas sorted. Many thanks for any advice or help. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

Do you have 4 years University training? If not then you won't be teaching in a school anywhere. There is a glut of young Aussie trained teachers who would kill for a permanent position but the chances of getting one in a place that people actually want to live is getting increasingly remote. Ironically, you would expect that they would be clamouring for experienced teachers but the converse is true - new teachers are cheaper and will put up with CRT or short term contracts.

Don't quit your permanent job, take a career break if you can. Think about a career change unless teaching is your passion. Don't worry about your pension until you are sure that Australia is the place for you - it might be better to leave it where it is but you can get the relative values down the track when you are sure it's where you might retire.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:17, Ann74 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of obtaining an early years teaching role in Australia? I currently teach a Reception class & am early years leader in an English primary school. Would I need to do any additional training to gain employment in Australia and what sort of pay could I expect to receive? What would I do about my teacher pension? We move next year & have permanent residency visas sorted. Many thanks for any advice or help. emoji4.png

Hi, I'm also an early years teacher and moving to QLD next week. From my experience so far there are plenty of jobs, but each one I've applied to I've been turned down as I don't have experience in aussie schools. Since i'm on a PR visa i'm going to be doing relief work (supply work) i'm hoping this will lead to a contract. If you're going to be living in one of the cities your best bet would be to do relief work get your face known, mention your early years experience and that will hopefully lead to work. If you're looking for a permanent position straight away then you will need to work in a remote location. In terms of additional training as you've got 4 years uni education that's fine, however, a few of the schools I've looked at said they favour people with a masters degree. Hope that helps :) good luck. Jess 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'm also an early years teacher and moving to QLD next week. From my experience so far there are plenty of jobs, but each one I've applied to I've been turned down as I don't have experience in aussie schools. Since i'm on a PR visa i'm going to be doing relief work (supply work) i'm hoping this will lead to a contract. If you're going to be living in one of the cities your best bet would be to do relief work get your face known, mention your early years experience and that will hopefully lead to work. If you're looking for a permanent position straight away then you will need to work in a remote location. In terms of additional training as you've got 4 years uni education that's fine, however, a few of the schools I've looked at said they favour people with a masters degree. Hope that helps [emoji4] good luck. Jess 

Let us know how you get on with finding work when you have settled there!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 06:01, TeacherClem said:

Let us know how you get on with finding work when you have settled there!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

hey, i'm doing well been here a month now, term started back up 2 weeks ago and I've had 5 days supply work so far which I'm really impressed with. quite a few contracts are coming up now for January term, however, most of them are in catholic schools and I've been told by a principal I can't teach on contract in catholic schools as I'm not catholic. it's a different experience to the UK but i'm enjoying it so far :) jess

• Like 2

hey, i'm doing well been here a month now, term started back up 2 weeks ago and I've had 5 days supply work so far which I'm really impressed with. quite a few contracts are coming up now for January term, however, most of them are in catholic schools and I've been told by a principal I can't teach on contract in catholic schools as I'm not catholic. it's a different experience to the UK but i'm enjoying it so far [emoji4] jess

That’s good Jess, glad you are enjoying it! X