and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
msiwek

Criminal conviction questions

Hi all!

I am going to Australia on a temporary project at a university. My husband wants to come with me but he has a criminal conviction (no jail time, non violent or drug related) from 8 years ago. However he did not declare it on a visa 2 years ago...

Now we will apply for a spousal visa as a dependent to my visa and a tourist visa in case this doesn't work out. We will state that he forgot to declare his conviction on a previous application because it was spent in the UK. Do you think it will work? I'm really panicked because we only just got married and would hate to be separated for 8 months. Any advice or experiences you can share? Thank you!

Hello and welcome.

The thread you had posted this on was from 2009 and so I've moved your post to its own thread. 

Thank you.

Would be grateful for any replies from people who have dealt with similar situations.

I would take advice from a professional on this one. Have a chat with a good registered migration agent as simply him going on a tourist visa may raise some suspicions.

Will do. Can you specify why a tourist visa may raise suspicions? Should I mention in my tourist visa that we're also applying for a dependent visa through my 408 visa?

Because if they spot that you are on one visa and your husband on another, then that will usually make then question why.

If your 408 though is for a period of less than 12 months, then he wont need to supply police checks. If more, then he may have problems. The department are actually more lenient on people with convictions than some think. But they are VERY picky about not declaring on arrival cards