Onshore Visa Advice - 189 & 457

Sam3011

Hi,

I'm very new to the forum and looking for some advice on visa's. I'm currently in Australia and have been here since Mid June on a working holiday visa, but now I would like to make the switch to a PR visa if possible but I'm worried about the processing times. I am an accountant with 70 points (provided English test goes well) and will hope to lodge my EOI by November, delay as it takes 4 weeks to get a date for the Pearson English test and then another 4 weeks to get my skills assessment so I probably wouldn't be ready until then. Although I would be applying to get this visa as a single applicant it seems like the current wait time for someone with my points is somewhere between 9-12 months, purely based on this forum.

But as I'm with an employer now and there is potential to get sponsored by them, would it be possible to continue with the 189 on my own even if being sponsored? As ideally I would like to be free from the hold of any employer. It may sound bizarre but I would like to sort my own PR asap so I am free to move jobs if I wish to. Does anyone know if I could continue to await my EOI if I were sponsored? As I am only allowed work for one employer a maximum of 6 months, I would need to be sponsored to stay on with my current employer beyond the 6 month period.

Also if I wasn't sponsored and didn't get my EOI before June 2018 when my working holiday visa is up, is it possible to return on once my EOI is released? I know I would automatically go on to a bridging visa if I were to receive my EOI during my working holiday visa but with the current wait times for EOI, it may not be possible to remain in Oz.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

It is fine to be sponsored and also submit a PR visa. Indeed, in your situation this is probably the best option as things such as bridging visas don't kick in until you are invited and actually apply. At the moment, accountants need a minimum of 70 points to get an invite. This is likely to increase to 75 in the near future. At the financial year goes on, it starts at 70 but then, in the past, has increased to 75.