How friendly is perth

Spencer's

Depends what type of person you are, I have a very dry sense of humor that fitted perfectly with the Irish in my case and with the English. I did not dislike Aussies but found they were not good listeners but most only wanted to tell me their stories and their situations. Have made loads of good English Irish and Scottish friends but just could not say the same about aussies, there is a click over there and for Brits I imagine it is harder to break than a saffa. They do like to keep themselves to themselves.

9 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Depends what type of person you are, I have a very dry sense of humor that fitted perfectly with the Irish in my case and with the English. I did not dislike Aussies but found they were not good listeners but most only wanted to tell me their stories and their situations. Have made loads of good English Irish and Scottish friends but just could not say the same about aussies, there is a click over there and for Brits I imagine it is harder to break than a saffa. They do like to keep themselves to themselves.

I notice that as well. We had a number of Irish households at one time in my neighbourhood, now rapidly declining with the downturn, only a the odd occasion did I ever hear an Aussie accent within any of these groups when they had a bbq or craic outside. Almost never.

Aussies keep pretty much to themselves in my experience as yours, something not always apparent to those that meet Aussies abroad, whom often appear louder and more out going.

• 2 weeks later...

Perth is very suburban -  you are not likely to meet many people beyond your immediate neighbours unless you make an effort.  My tip for making friends is to join something. Being Australia, sport is the obvious choice, there is 'parkrun' here like in the UK which is all around the suburbs, easy way to meet up with the same group every week. If you have kids you will naturally get sucked into the kids sport organisations, if not join a cricket club, soccer, aussie rules, netball, touch footy, waterski, surf life saving, landcare, river guardians, volunteer fire fighters, SES, St John ambulance, running club, cycling club, or a political party if you are desperate :-)

• 1 month later...
On 29 August 2017 at 18:28, Wa7 said:

If you are coming from a good social circle in the uk then chances are you will not replicate this here in Perth ( or Australia full stop ) 

Perth is friendly but at the same time very private and how you would adapt is a personal thing.

To be honest have been in OZ 30 years and frienships are nothing like the UK. With a young daughter it will be easier but friendships here are very transient. Once you stop going to a club or school for example you will basically never see those people again. Personally, and i have one daughter 19, i would not do it. I really regret bringing her up here. She should have been at home with real family and friends around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

. Once you stop going to a club or school for example you will basically never see those people again.

That's a ridiculous generalisation.  We have close friends we first met in the 1960s.  In fact I have recently been to the funeral of one of my husband's very closest friends - they first met in high school in 1965.  My daughter's generation is the same...her best friend is still a girl she met at primary school in 30+ years ago and she still has a close friendship circle of high school friends.... despite the fact they have moved all over Australia.  My neighbour's daughter has just flown back from Perth for the wedding of one of her friends ...and they're all  in their 30's.   It is, however,  more difficult to start  and maintain friendships in adult life because so many people are time poor with existing family and work commitments.  I think it can be especially difficult in a large city.

2 hours ago, Skani said:

That's a ridiculous generalisation.  We have close friends we first met in the 1960s.  In fact I have recently been to the funeral of one of my husband's very closest friends - they first met in high school in 1965.  My daughter's generation is the same...her best friend is still a girl she met at primary school in 30+ years ago and she still has a close friendship circle of high school friends.... despite the fact they have moved all over Australia.  My neighbour's daughter has just flown back from Perth for the wedding of one of her friends ...and they're all  in their 30's.   It is, however,  more difficult to start  and maintain friendships in adult life because so many people are time poor with existing family and work commitments.  I think it can be especially difficult in a large city.

Maybe we have been unlucky but you would think in 30 years there would have been more still in touch. We had a neighbour for 9 years who called my daughter "her adopted daughter" as she was in her house everyday as were her girls in ours. She moved interstate and not one phone call since. I have called her on various occasions but then gave up. Our best friends of 25 years a couple amd their two kids we did everything with had a change in their financial situation after their business started to do well, hardly ever hear from them. Havent been out with them since they started making money!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Maybe we have been unlucky but you would think in 30 years there would have been more still in touch. We had a neighbour for 9 years who called my daughter "her adopted daughter" as she was in her house everyday as were her girls in ours. She moved interstate and not one phone call since. I have called her on various occasions but then gave up. Our best friends of 25 years a couple amd their two kids we did everything with had a change in their financial situation after their business started to do well, hardly ever hear from them. Havent been out with them since they started making money!!

Quite honestly the people you describe above were not real friends especially the couple who made money and after that you hardly hear from them. :/  It's definitely harder to find friendly people with whom you have a lot in common when you are older.  I miss my good Sydney friends.  We moved to Tassie and a couple of them also moved away from Sydney BUT we are in touch regularly and they have been here to visit.  We've been here nearly 4 years now and I enjoy the company of a few people I consider friends.  Our neighbours who have lived here for donkeys years are lovely and friendly too.  Maybe living in a smaller city/town makes a big difference too.  I'll have great company very soon as my sister arrives from Edinburgh in a couple of days.  :)  She's staying for 4 weeks.

4 hours ago, Scousers1 said:

Our experience is slightly different, my daughter 22 has said she has been glad to have had her teenage years here in Perth, and hubby and I were talking the other night about the excellent friendships we have here.  My daughter made a brief visit to the UK on her way home from Europe last year .. and commented that it was great to catch up with people but she didn't want to live there again.  My son (18) will be making his first trip back in January - it's going to be interesting what he makes of it.

I've only been here 13 years and I have had very good experiences with friends.  No different really to the UK.  I think I've said here before but the hardest move I made was when in 1990 when I packed up my suitcase and headed down the M6 from Lancashire to London.  Man, those Londeners were unfriendly!!

• Like 2