EOI - can i claim more years of experience than I got on Skills assessment

andana

Hi all,

Was hoping someone could help. My boyfriend is just going through skills assessment for a joiner ( visa 189). We  have references and proof of employment  for 7y and 9 months- so just short of 8 y to get extra points.  Assessment  may take up to 11 weeks, so by then we should have those extra 3 m to  take him to 8y.

When we submit EOI , can  we only claim those 7 y and 9 m that are being assessed or can we add an extra evidence to show 8 y ?

Skills assessment people told us yes so can claim more later on, so we submitted the application without waiting those 3 m to take us over 8 y. But now they say they are not sure.. told us to speak to our migration agent, but we don’t have one as trying to do without ( as it costs a lot L )

Anyone knows how this works?

Thanks in advance!

Andana

1 hour ago, andana said:

Hi all,

Was hoping someone could help. My boyfriend is just going through skills assessment for a joiner ( visa 189). We  have references and proof of employment  for 7y and 9 months- so just short of 8 y to get extra points.  Assessment  may take up to 11 weeks, so by then we should have those extra 3 m to  take him to 8y.

When we submit EOI , can  we only claim those 7 y and 9 m that are being assessed or can we add an extra evidence to show 8 y ?

Skills assessment people told us yes so can claim more later on, so we submitted the application without waiting those 3 m to take us over 8 y. But now they say they are not sure.. told us to speak to our migration agent, but we don’t have one as trying to do without ( as it costs a lot L )

Anyone knows how this works?

Thanks in advance!

Andana

Hi Andana,

You will need to wait till the skills assessment results are out before you can confirm how many years are counted towards your points claim.

I have 9 years of work experience in my occupation but ACS counted from the 6th year onwards as valid and as such, I could only claim 5 points for work experience. Don't overclaim as there have been a recent visa denial due to overclaim of points. You can get barred from applying as well.

All the best :)

• Like 1

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. We will wait for the outcome of the skills assessment to submit EOI.

But the references and evidence we submitted was for 7y and 9 m. Not sure how the skills assessment will look like, will it say that they recognize 7 y 9 m of experience and this is what we can claim then on EOI, or can we  say then 8 y and add 3 months of evidence?

Thanks

A

2 minutes ago, andana said:

Hi Ida053

Thanks for your reply! so basically whatever the assessing body says you have this is what you have to claim ... ah a bit annoying as we are so close to 8 y...

Yup you're right.

ah a bit annoying as we are so close to 8 y...

I agree as I lost 10 points just from the deduction. Otherwise my EOI could have been picked up way earlier. Nevertheless, I'm just grateful now to be at the last stage of awaiting for the grant albeit the long wait. 

All the best in your application!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, andana said:

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. We will wait for the outcome of the skills assessment to submit EOI.

But the references and evidence we submitted was for 7y and 9 m. Not sure how the skills assessment will look like, will it say that they recognize 7 y 9 m of experience and this is what we can claim then on EOI, or can we  say then 8 y and add 3 months of evidence?

Thanks

A

No problem, I feel your pain.. I changed career a little over 3 years ago (not considering a move to OZ), and although my qualification is relevant still, the trade itself is different, so instead of being able to claim for 8+ years, I'm having to claim for 3 :(,  Do consider doing the IELTS or Persons English test for extra points if you haven't already factored it in, I done the Pearsons and passed that for 20 points to get me back to having enough :) 

• Like 1

You can 'add' employment experience to a skills assessment result by adding additional referencing and pay evidence to bring your total work experience up to date.

You need to have all the evidence ready for the employment you are claiming *before* you submit an EOI.

For example, you have a positive skills assessment with 7 years & 10 months. you could submit an EOI with this. However, you could wait another two months before submitting an EOI, by which time you could add the additional work experience to bring it up to 8 years. In order to 'update' a skills result letter with additional employment, you need to have good evidence ready, that would be up to date pay evidence, and preferably an updated reference.

We've done this in the past and the additional employment has been counted.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Richard Gregan said:

You can 'add' employment experience to a skills assessment result by adding additional referencing and pay evidence to bring your total work experience up to date.

You need to have all the evidence ready for the employment you are claiming *before* you submit an EOI.

For example, you have a positive skills assessment with 7 years & 10 months. you could submit an EOI with this. However, you could wait another two months before submitting an EOI, by which time you could add the additional work experience to bring it up to 8 years. In order to 'update' a skills result letter with additional employment, you need to have good evidence ready, that would be up to date pay evidence, and preferably an updated reference.

Regards,

Richard

thanks very much for your reply! that makes sense :) 

A

1 hour ago, ida053 said:

Yup you're right.

I agree as I lost 10 points just from the deduction. Otherwise my EOI could have been picked up way earlier. Nevertheless, I'm just grateful now to be at the last stage of awaiting for the grant albeit the long wait. 

All the best in your application!

thanks! and all the best with your application! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob-oz said:

No problem, I feel your pain.. I changed career a little over 3 years ago (not considering a move to OZ), and although my qualification is relevant still, the trade itself is different, so instead of being able to claim for 8+ years, I'm having to claim for 3 :(,  Do consider doing the IELTS or Persons English test for extra points if you haven't already factored it in, I done the Pearsons and passed that for 20 points to get me back to having enough :) 

yes, thanks, we need to get the IELTS done. Good luck with your application! :)

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2017 at 13:27, Richard Gregan said:

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard my wife had her skills assessment as nurse done with ANMAC and provided 3 years of experience ( 2 jobs) as although she had 4.5 years she didn't want to let current employer know and we wouldn't have gained any more points anyway. However due to missing out on IELTS points we have waited until she has 5 years experience (this weekend) and are planning on claiming the extra 5 points for this experience providing payslips, p60's, contracts etc for the whole 5 years. I'm sure this is ok and has been done before but just wanted confirmation?

steve

It's up to immigration in the end Steve. Even points test advice is advisory.

Hopefully they will still count it, and they may guess that you didn't include it originally as you were trying to avoid contacting the current employer. However it will ultimately be up to the case officer whether they count the additional experience. They have the right to ask you for additional points test advice to cover the later employment, but we've rarely been asked for this.

Regards,

Richard