please help education studies primary questions

Kelly81

Hi my names kelly, Iam looking for advise from primary teachers 

Iam currently studying a 3 year Ba Education studies primary degree and would love to move to Australia once completed 

My question is do I need to do the 1 year  nqt after my degree to be able to apply or could I complete an Australian equivalent once there 

I'm new to the forum so any advise on how to get me to Australia greatly appreciated 

BTW I'm 36 just going into my second year of uni 

Thank you x 

22 minutes ago, Kelly81 said:

Hi my names kelly, Iam looking for advise from primary teachers 

Iam currently studying a 3 year Ba Education studies primary degree and would love to move to Australia once completed 

My question is do I need to do the 1 year  nqt after my degree to be able to apply or could I complete an Australian equivalent once there 

I'm new to the forum so any advise on how to get me to Australia greatly appreciated 

BTW I'm 36 just going into my second year of uni 

Thank you x 

It is mandatory to have four years of university education to be able to register as a teacher in Australia. You will need to do one more year of study (such as an MA) before you can even think about applying.

Edited by Sammy1

8 minutes ago, Kelly81 said:

Thank you I've just had a look now so I need my 3 years uni plus 1 year education based which would be my qts so this would be sufficient to apply 

No, you need 4 years at Uni. So to top up your 3 year BA you would need at least a 1 year Masters. 

You do know that primary teaching is only just holding on by the skin of its teeth as a required skill for visa purposes so by the time you've got your 4 years it might be off altogether. There is no shortage of primary teachers in Australia- not where anyone actually wants to live anyway so even if you do swing a visa, you could find getting a permanent  job to be a tad tricky.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kelly81 said:

Thank you I've just had a look now so I need my 3 years uni plus 1 year education based which would be my qts so this would be sufficient to apply 

No, that is not sufficient unfortunately. Four years of uni is required, whether that is a three year degree followed by a PGCE, a three year education degree plus one more year of related study, or a four year education degree.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sammy1 said:

No, that is not sufficient unfortunately. Four years of uni is required, whether that is a three year degree followed by a PGCE, a three year education degree plus one more year of related study, or a four year education degree.

Thank you Sammy so if I'm still on the list I need my 3 year degree and a pgce 1 year in Swansea ,  

do they require any experience or could I just apply after the 4 years studying 

Thank you kelly 

20 minutes ago, Kelly81 said:

Thank you Sammy so if I'm still on the list I need my 3 year degree and a pgce 1 year in Swansea ,  

do they require any experience or could I just apply after the 4 years studying 

Thank you kelly 

If your 3 year degree qualifies you as a teacher in UK then you can't do a PGCE which is a one year intensive Education qualification for those who have done a Bachelor in something completely unrelated. You'd need to do a Masters - if you did a Masters in Special Ed you might be marginally more marketable. 

If you can score a permanent position in UK once you've qualified you might be better off taking it and applying for a career break down the track if teaching is your passion.

AITSL needs 4 years uni education including the teacher qualification.

In Scotland, degrees are 4 years in length, so this might be a dedicated 4 year teaching degree, or a 4 year bachelor followed by a PGDE

In England & Wales, degrees are typically 3 years, so you need a 3 year bachelor, followed by a one year PGCE.

The university also needs to verify the exact age range of pupils taught and the minimum placement must be 45 days.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 20:35, Richard Gregan said:

AITSL needs 4 years uni education including the teacher qualification.

In Scotland, degrees are 4 years in length, so this might be a dedicated 4 year teaching degree, or a 4 year bachelor followed by a PGDE

In England & Wales, degrees are typically 3 years, so you need a 3 year bachelor, followed by a one year PGCE.

The university also needs to verify the exact age range of pupils taught and the minimum placement must be 45 days.

Regards,

Richard

A PGCE is only acceptable in Australia if the underpinning Degree is not a Bachelor of Education.    If the Degree is a 3 year Bachelor of Education, then it is impossible for the person to then undertake a PGCE - a Masters of Education is the only route they can follow to gain the 4 years university education requirement.

• Like 1

Thank you I have been researching and I have a quite a few career options with this degree,  I was looking at a masters in early childhood after my degree, but I'll keep my options open just in case if comes off the list by the time I qualify 

• Like 1