Trying to understand it all ?

Monks

Hi

I'm sure just like everyone else the waiting is really beginning to take its toll but maybe someone can help me understand what goes on in my little mind amongst everything else in there ?

I've read in other posts that in some circumstances even after the CO has requested medicals that additional information has been requested such as more self employment details. Surely that medicals would be the last request and I guess the last expense in terms of the actual visa fees but surely employment stuff would be requested if required before sending for medicals to prevent the applicant spending more money! I understood getting sent for medicals was a really positive sign and unless something was serious wrong with your health it was pretty much a rubber stamp! ?

44 minutes ago, Monks said:

Hi

I'm sure just like everyone else the waiting is really beginning to take its toll but maybe someone can help me understand what goes on in my little mind amongst everything else in there ?

I've read in other posts that in some circumstances even after the CO has requested medicals that additional information has been requested such as more self employment details. Surely that medicals would be the last request and I guess the last expense in terms of the actual visa fees but surely employment stuff would be requested if required before sending for medicals to prevent the applicant spending more money! I understood getting sent for medicals was a really positive sign and unless something was serious wrong with your health it was pretty much a rubber stamp! ?

The CO can request anything they like right up until the visa decision is made. Just because they request the medicals does not mean that they won't ask for other papers. Nor des it mean that the visa will definitely be granted.

In normal circumstance the Medicals and Police clearances are the final things requested. The reality is however, that when a request is made, a different case officer may then get the file when the requested documents are received. If the new case officer feels more documents are required, they will send a further request, even after medicals have been done.

Remember that the Department's role is to process applications. They are not too concerned about saving the applicant's money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience the visa costs are a small fraction of what it has actually cost in order to get established in Australia and the cost of living is high by comparison to many countries. My family and I came over in 2016 on a temporary skills visa and we are now in the process of applying for PR. My ongoing experience with the DIBP this time is much the same as last time and it rarely goes smoothly - just when you think you must be almost there a new form or delay or expense pops up. I know it sounds obvious but really the best thing to do is to complete as much as you can, be ready to provide evidence of absolutely everything and try not to plan for a specific timeline. Still all that said moving to Australia has been completely amazing and I love it so hang in there :-) Hope you get your grant soon. 

From a novel I wrote in 1992/1993 - published 2001:

Officers are busy little people, so would you be if you were 
surrounded by lying idiots perpetrating bungles, and going 
to lunch. Make an appointment?  Ha ha ha. 
Another  reason  for  wanting  to  contact  the monkey 
was to find out, or once again try to find out, whether there 
are  any  further  requirements.  Did  the  Australian  federal 
police  ever  get  around  to  sending  a  clearance? And what 
about  ASIO?  The  monkey  told  me  that  he  made  various 
enquiries,  but  he  has  not  told  me  whether  he  received 
satisfactory  replies.  He  has  indicated,  but  not  stated  in  a 
manner that I find unequivocal, that that is that. Is that that? 
Further requirements have a nasty habit of springing out of 
the paperwork at the last minute, in my experience.