Australian university requirement for UK high school kids

Jenny_2017

Hi there,

Just curious if anyone has experience in schooling kids (secondary schools mainly)  in UK but sending them to do Universities in Australia.  How are they covert their UK scores/marks to the ones required by university in Australia?  Or, vice versa? 

Thanks!

I think the universities convert the scores into an ATAR by giving each A level grade a score.  I found one example of a conversion table here https://study.uwa.edu.au/how-to-apply/entry-requirements/international-and-overseas-qualifications/gce-a-levels, but I'd imagine other universities have slightly different conversions so you might need to look it up for the particular uni you are interested in.

When I worked in International Students in an academic registry we had a big fat book published by the British Council which converted every qualification from every other country into the equivalent UK qualification.  They'd have the same sort of thing in Australia so don't worry too much; the university will have done it a million times before.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2017 at 23:21, Jenny_2017 said:

Hi there,

Just curious if anyone has experience in schooling kids (secondary schools mainly)  in UK but sending them to do Universities in Australia.  How are they covert their UK scores/marks to the ones required by university in Australia?  Or, vice versa? 

Thanks!

Have you investigated uni fees and whether you would be paying international fees?

Just read your other post, didn't realize you were Australian!

Edited by newjez

On 8/22/2017 at 07:03, Eera said:

When I worked in International Students in an academic registry we had a big fat book published by the British Council which converted every qualification from every other country into the equivalent UK qualification.  They'd have the same sort of thing in Australia so don't worry too much; the university will have done it a million times before.

This is very helpful!  Thank you very much! 

On 8/22/2017 at 03:25, LKC said:

I think the universities convert the scores into an ATAR by giving each A level grade a score.  I found one example of a conversion table here https://study.uwa.edu.au/how-to-apply/entry-requirements/international-and-overseas-qualifications/gce-a-levels, but I'd imagine other universities have slightly different conversions so you might need to look it up for the particular uni you are interested in.

Thank you very much for this!  I will definitely look into it. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, peeches321 said:

Hi all

I am new to this thread, I am planning on moving in January, my daughter will be looking to start university, I have a permanent visa 189, is she entitled to any grants or does she have to pay. Your help will be apprciated

Unfortunately not. Once you become citizens she will be able to get a student loan from the government.

Tuition fees are due near the beginning of each semester (2 semesters a year).

The good news is that as permanent residents you will not have to pay the more expensive international fees.

Edited by Sammy1

On 9/5/2017 at 09:53, Sammy1 said:

Unfortunately not. Once you become citizens she will be able to get a student loan from the government.

Tuition fees are due near the beginning of each semester (2 semesters a year).

The good news is that as permanent residents you will not have to pay the more expensive international fees.

That's no longer true, PR holders as of 2018 will be able to access the loans but while not paying 'international fees' will no longer be eligible for the Commonwealth Supported Place which more or less takes the fees up to that of an International Student

On 9/11/2017 at 22:03, peeches321 said:

So as of 2018 we can access loans, however I do not understand what they mean by Commonwealth Supported Place. Can someone help elaborate.

At the moment there are set fees for domestic students (that vary depending on the course).  With a Commonwealth Supported Place the government pays a proportion of the fees and the student pays the rest.  When the new rules come in (I'm not sure if they have actually become law yet) the government will no longer pay part of the fees for PR holders and New Zealand citizens leaving the student to pay the full amount of the domestic fees.