ADF lateral transfer

mrsTrev

Hi all. I'm here because my husband is looking into transferring from the British army to the ADF. I was just after some advice regarding occupations. His is not on the current list of occupations the ADF are looking to recruit from overseas. However, we've been told that they take each case on it's own merit and that they may consider sponsoring him anyway? Does anybody have any knowledge of this, or have we been misinformed and stand no chance of getting to Oz through this route? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my E6653 using PomsinOz mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We literally just submitted an expression of interest for a lateral transfer. My husband is in the Infantry, and somehow wangled carpentry and joinery level 2&3 qualifications as part of his barrack manager job (thats still on the last thankfully).

I'd love to be kept up to date with your experiences as real life stories are not easy to find. Someone my husband knows (I don't really know his wife) will be making the move soon, he was selected for his skills and qualifications for infantry training as he's very keen and green and done every operational tour, exercises etc. He is a colour sergeant here but I think his new job is for a corporal. I hear the ADF like having operational experience so that might be something your husband could highlight. The ADF are quite specific I agree, we had a chat at the recruiting office in Parramatta when we visited my sister in Sydney in August. I had no idea that Infantry could only join the Infantry. I guess it makes sense but over here they can rebadge if necessary. Hey ho, lets wait and see what happens now. 

I have an arrse account but don't use that email address any more, I guess I'll be setting up a new one. 

2 hours ago, Mrs_B said:

We literally just submitted an expression of interest for a lateral transfer. My husband is in the Infantry, and somehow wangled carpentry and joinery level 2&3 qualifications as part of his barrack manager job (thats still on the last thankfully).

I'd love to be kept up to date with your experiences as real life stories are not easy to find. Someone my husband knows (I don't really know his wife) will be making the move soon, he was selected for his skills and qualifications for infantry training as he's very keen and green and done every operational tour, exercises etc. He is a colour sergeant here but I think his new job is for a corporal. I hear the ADF like having operational experience so that might be something your husband could highlight. The ADF are quite specific I agree, we had a chat at the recruiting office in Parramatta when we visited my sister in Sydney in August. I had no idea that Infantry could only join the Infantry. I guess it makes sense but over here they can rebadge if necessary. Hey ho, lets wait and see what happens now. 

I have an arrse account but don't use that email address any more, I guess I'll be setting up a new one. 

Has your husband obtained a skills assessment yet?

Not yet. Its literally only this initial expression of interest for the ADF where you send them a CV to look at to see if you'd be suitable, nothing official as such.

Do you think it would be a good idea to start vetassess just in case they offer him to submit a full application? He's been keeping a portfolio of his work, has an up to date CV, can print of P60s and has people happy to do references already lined up. 

Its tricky as they may not even want him as a carpenter as he's infantry not engineers, I figured they might look at his other courses and experience in stores accounting (ammo, clothing etc) in the Infantry instead as Supervisor Platoon Operations is also on the list. I don't know if they give you some indication of what role they'd consider you for if they offer you to submit a full application. 

The Roadmap into the ADF makes it sound so easy.