Has anybody moved to the Gold Coast & regretted it?

aconcannon

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @aconcannon sorry your post got missed. We moved inland but love this area. Where abouts on the Gold Coast are you looking? Helensvale is suppose to be lovely. I think @Rossmoyne son now lives on the Gold Coast he moved from Perth so she may be able to help with other areas.

The Gold Coast varies so much from suburb to suburb and i think you need to look into areas that suit youyr families need carefully. If i was to live closer to the Gold Coast it would be inland slightly in the hinterlan where its stunning and green but a short drive to beaches, theme parks and all the tourist hustle and bustle as and when you want it. 

Cal x

We lived in Sydney for 2 years and decided to move to QLD so we could afford to buy. Spent 2 years in west End and built a house in north GC and moved in July - haven't regretted moving for a moment it's been a great move for us. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea is the GC. We are still 30 mins from the beach up in ormeau but it works for us as we both work in Brisbane:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I agree with the above, choose your suburb carefully. We are roughly halfway between Brisbane and GC but we much prefer the beaches and the vibe up on Sunshine Coast. Parts of GC are like Blackpool in the sun, sort of tacky, touristy and not for us! Have heard good things about Helensvale and pacific pines, meant to be loads of poms there! It’s a bit too far south for us when we commute to Brisbane. 

I think you would have to drive round and get a feel for the place. 

On 12/3/2017 at 08:13, Jay2016 said:

I'm debating whether to move to Oz from London and head Brissy or GS. Or even S/coast might be more my scene. Getting cold feet!

Hi Jay

Queensland is a really nice lifestyle.

But what is your scene?

I have lived in VIC, NT, NSW and QLD over the years. Although the traffic can drive me nuts sometimes, I have lived in Sydney for nearly 20 years. I absolutely LOVE it.

And if you are getting cold feet then you need to move here quick smart to warm them up! :)

• Like 1

Hi FeralBeryl, what a funny username LOVE IT. scene!  Well!  I'm a mid40's singleton, nothing to tie me to UK apart from a handful of very good friends [no family really] & a comfort zone due to my job.  I have a degree in engineering and now a qual. Accountant working as a Financial Controller in industry.  I enjoy [no change that! I appreciate rather than enjoy] my job [people, environment, commute, pays well, in my comfort zone which counters the stressful, busy days].  The other thing to tie me to the UK is "my comfort zone", ie financially secure, done want for much, sneek off to the gym at lunchtimes, chill at home watching movies, game of thrones, surf the web, faff-around....chill-lax'ing after a stressful day. On the odd days we get a nice HOT weekend i like to just chill in the garden, music in da'ears.  When on holiday i like to Scubadive, and recently tried surfing & really want to get into Kite-Surfing.....where i live in Essex, UK its apparently one of the best places in Europe for beginners! who'd have thought!!!

So in theory Sunshine Coast, Brisbane [both appeal] could provide me with the same/BETTER Scene/lifestyle. so what it boils down to is 

STAY UK [RELAX]  versus GO Oz [ADVENTURE, OPPORTUNITY] ?

Oz represents for Me, 2 suitcases, no accommodation, no job, no transport, no phone/webaccess, no friends/support versus UK=Safe.  And yes even in Oz Mon-Fri needs to be the mundane/ratrace, we all have to work, especially given the expensive nature of Oz, however its what you choose to do at weekends, which Oz you can do 52weeks a yr.... lazy on the beach, kitesurf, paramotor, explore.  some of which i would do...but still like my movies n gym n chill.

workwise, i'd look to get a Temp job; ideally parttime, as money isn't the DRIVER...then once i feel settled [if ever] then think what i want as a full time thing.  Also Oz is an OPPORTUNITY to do something different workwise [perhaps selling Sage X3 !], but i guess depends on Cost of Living and eventually what kinda place to live in [looking to rent out house in in UK longterm]

and it has been COLD here Brrrrrr  Does that give ya an idea of me/my scene?     I try to look at jobs in Oz but alot dont advertise salary, stressing me out making a decision; though if its that 50:50, do i really want it!!!

there's is an update!  work dont want me to go!  "Its not until someone leaves that you realise how much you value them, so my boss said"  but they needed a decision as i told them i want to to finish work end of Feb18 [sort of handed in my Notice].  Anyway last week I told them I'm staying UK.  they were very pleased & MD/CEO/FD said i made the right choice!  Oddily ending with a chat with the CEO to reinforce I'd made the right decision with him trying to sell me a car LOL  long story

BUT after making the decision, am i relieved?? NO  i feel like it was the wrong choice.....hence still the wrangle inside of me.  

• 2 months later...
On 15/12/2017 at 00:12, Jay2016 said:

there's is an update!  work dont want me to go!  "Its not until someone leaves that you realise how much you value them, so my boss said"  but they needed a decision as i told them i want to to finish work end of Feb18 [sort of handed in my Notice].  Anyway last week I told them I'm staying UK.  they were very pleased & MD/CEO/FD said i made the right choice!  Oddily ending with a chat with the CEO to reinforce I'd made the right decision with him trying to sell me a car LOL  long story

BUT after making the decision, am i relieved?? NO  i feel like it was the wrong choice.....hence still the wrangle inside of me.  

Of course work doesn't want you to go; it's an inconvenience for them to replace you. They couldn't care less whether you're happy or not; they just worry about the business.

You don't feel relieved because you have been thinking about an 'adventure' for a while and that will not be happening anytime soon now you've decided to stay. So the need for an adventure is still there and is unlikely to go away. 

Coming here would be an adventure but it won't be quick and easy to reach the same level of quality here. It's possible though but it will take time.

Sorting out visas can take a while, it's expensive to live here and it's not easy to get a decent job. So you need to do a lot of research and plan.

I've heard there's an oversupply of accountants here, so even qualified accountants here can struggle to get a decent job. I'm not sure about engineering; that would depend on experience and the type of engineering. Salaries on the Sunshine Coast tend to be a bit lower than in Brisbane. 

Check out:

immi.gov.au (immigration department)

seek.com.au (jobs)

careerone.com.au (jobs)

realestate.com.au 

domain.com.au (also real estate)

If you only intend to work part-time initially you'll need plenty of savings to get you through. Working part-time may barely cover rent and utilities depending on where you live. 

I'm not sure how salaries here compare to current UK salaries but generally speaking they are a lot lower in comparison. Check out some other posts on this forum.

If you really want to come here you'll find a way to do it, just don't rush into it.  And remember that an adventure is a journey, not an end destination.

I often think of the following quote:

"Real life is lived outside your comfort zone".

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jay2016 said:

Flippin heck Goofy mucho appreciate your insightful reply AND THE TIME YOU'VE TAKEN! It's the 11 March and I've only just seen your reply (via phone app which I don't think is the best !?) Interestingly things have developed!!!

OK, I'll bite.  How have they developed?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...