Oops, less than 6 months on passport...

Gareth 666

Hi,

We've hit a potential snag with our journey 'home'...... Just got to KL international airport to fly on to Penang for our last 6 days killing time on the way home and the passport officer noticed one of our passports has just under 6 months left. We thought initially we was going to refuse entry but his concern was where we were going next. We said the UK next week via Singapore. He reaction was we might have a problem in Singapore as they're pretty strict. We said it's only a transit and we have onward flights booked. He let us proceed but warned us it's our risk.

I've looked around and can't find a definitive answer to this so I've emailed British Airways (our carrier home) and also the Singapore visa authority. If we don't leave the transit area it looks ok as there's no need to go through Singapore immigration. However as it's two different airlines we can't check the baggage through from Penang to Heathrow, meaning we've probably got to go through immigration to get the bags and check them back in.....

Does anyone have experience of Changi airport please when transiting through to say if we have to go 'out' and bank in again, even better, has anyone got through in similar circumstances?

Ta

I am not sure whether the  British Consulate in Penang can help you on the passport front... or is it possible to go to the British Embassy in KL (delaying your flight) in the morning they open at 8am....  I hope you sort it ok.. alternatively is it possible one of you to go through Immigration  to process the luggage onwards in Singapore leaving the others airside?

Address: Menara Binjai, 2, Jalan Binjai, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

or

• ADDRESS
  • British Honorary Consulate in Penang, Malaysia

Menara Zurich, Suite 9-04, 9th Floor
    No 170 Jalan Argyll
    10050 Penang
    Malaysia
  • TELEPHONE
  • (+60) 4-227 5336
  • Like 1

Given that you have to clear immigration in Singapore and yes they are very strict and it clearly states you must have 6mths left on your passport i think you may have an issue in all likely hood. Good luck i'm not sure i would risk it myself. 

24 minutes ago, Evandale said:

I am not sure whether the  British Consulate in Penang can help you on the passport front... or is it possible to go to the British Embassy in KL (delaying your flight) in the morning they open at 8am....  I hope you sort it ok.. alternatively is it possible one of you to go through Immigration  to process the luggage onwards in Singapore leaving the others airside?

Address: Menara Binjai, 2, Jalan Binjai, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

or

• ADDRESS
  • British Honorary Consulate in Penang, Malaysia

Menara Zurich, Suite 9-04, 9th Floor
    No 170 Jalan Argyll
    10050 Penang
    Malaysia
  • TELEPHONE
  • (+60) 4-227 5336

Pretty sure the luggage has to be checked by the person it belongs to meaning one bag per ticket so no they wouldn't be able to do the one person check it. Good thought though. 

You're  stuck either way. If you stay in KL and fly from there you still have to transit in Singapore. I'd  go to Penang then go to the consulate. If they can't help book a flight with Singapore airlines from Penang to Singapore for the offending passport holder then they don't have to  clear immigration at Singapore

Although to be honest what exactly will the Singaporeans do? They can't deport you to Malaysia as you don't  have a valid passport for there either. 

• Like 1

Not sure whether the Consulate in Penang can help  issuing you with an ETD give them a ring in the morning ... but the Embassy in KL should be able to arrange an "Emergency Travel Document which will get her through to Singapore ok then onwards to  the UK...https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Edited by Evandale
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice guys. We could try to leave her 'air side' in transit and check in online. I could take DD & DS to check bags in as we're lucky enough to have used Avios to upgrade to Club World so 2 bags each.
I got a twitter reply from Changi Airport who gave me a number for Singapore immigration. We'll have to sort a SIM card today and call them.

• Like 1

As Chicken66 said, they are strict in Singapore and it is a risk. Especially since they state that a passport must be valid for over six months. I wouldn't bank on going there without getting advise and a rectification as appeals to 'common sense' at the immigration counter on the day, will likely fall on deaf ears.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Quick update for anyone interested. I've spoken to Singapore immigration and they confirmed the required 6 months minimum but they've said as there's no time to get the passport updated it will be up to the immigration officer on the day to advise us how to proceed. They also said that having our onward flight checked in will be a help. We can check in online 24hrs beforehand so we'll have that. Here's hoping for a bit of leniency and some common sense.

• Like 3

Quick update for anyone interested. I've spoken to Singapore immigration and they confirmed the required 6 months minimum but they've said as there's no time to get the passport updated it will be up to the immigration officer on the day to advise us how to proceed. They also said that having our onward flight checked in will be a help. We can check in online 24hrs beforehand so we'll have that. Here's hoping for a bit of leniency and some common sense.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gareth 666 said:

Don't want to worry you but we only found out my youngest passport had less than six months left on it when we went to check in online. After a major panic we discovered it wasn't a major problem as we were only transiting through Singapore but it meant we had to check in at the airport in person.  That was wit Singapore airlines, not sure if other airlines would be the same.

• Like 1

Don't want to worry you but we only found out my youngest passport had less than six months left on it when we went to check in online. After a major panic we discovered it wasn't a major problem as we were only transiting through Singapore but it meant we had to check in at the airport in person.  That was wit Singapore airlines, not sure if other airlines would be the same.

Thanks, we have to go through immigration as we're flying in on a budget airline then on with BA so can't transit through. DW has been in touch with the CEO of the budget airline to make sure they let us on and that seems ok. It'll be up to the officer on the day. We'll see if BA let us check in online later today.

You are welcome.
At least you know you will never do it again.

I would like to just add that when we booked this flight it was the return leg on our initial outward emigration flight. We booked a return as it was the sensible thing to do and as British Airways only release flights 330 days in advance the flight was originally returning within the time the passport was valid. The only reason it has gone over is that we split the booking when we decided to use the time our container was at sea to have a break. The Oz to Singapore leg was still in the passport validity window and it's only because we have to go through immigration today that the problem has come up.
Among all the other things we had to plan to get our move home sorted this one thing got overlooked. It's a genuine human error that caused me to post a question in the UK Chat part of the forum asking for other people's experiences and advice.
  • Like 3

We made it!!!!!!!! I went through first with a landing card filled out with '0' in the length of stat box. The immigration officer asked if I was just transiting and asked for flight details. I showed him the checked in details and said the rest of the family were coming through. DD sailed through then DW took DS. The officer cast her passport a glance and mentioned she needed to get it renewed then sent her in her way. No dramas!! Happily now sat in the lounge killing 8hrs...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

We made it!!!!!!!! I went through first with a landing card filled out with '0' in the length of stat box. The immigration officer asked if I was just transiting and asked for flight details. I showed him the checked in details and said the rest of the family were coming through. DD sailed through then DW took DS. The officer cast her passport a glance and mentioned she needed to get it renewed then sent her in her way. No dramas!! Happily now sat in the lounge killing 8hrs...

:jiggy:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

Well done, enjoy your flight and relax you are nearly home!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

I was so looking forward to the photos of Changi prison....????

• Like 1