Just got PR - what next?

jess6

Hi Everyone,

Last week I became a Permanent Resident of Australia - yeah!!! (FYI - I was already living in Australia)

Now that my brain starts to properly process the good news, I am wondering: what do I need to do?

- Medicare: so it looks like they have already sent a new card (I checked), anything else I need to do for them?

- Private insurance: Has anybody transitioned from a Overseas Visitor Cover to a "Permanent Resident" cover?

- Driving license: Do I need to let them know I am now Permanent Resident?

- Social Security: Pension, centerlink etc: Is there anything I need to do now? I mean I work full time but is there anything that needs to be done for the future?

- Bank: do I need to let them know?

- Super: does the Permanent Resident status changes anything?

- Votes: Do Permanent Residents have any rights to vote - for example for local elections?

These are the first things that come to mind but feel free to add anything you could think about.

I appreciate the help!

• Like 2

You should look up on your state gov. website what to do about your driving licence. I am sure the info you require is there. Usually once PR is held you have a set amount of time in which to change your licence over. Its pretty simple to do and as I said, info easy to find online for your state and local office listing. 

Voting - not that I am aware of

Some of the other things you are probably best to call or email and enquiry to see if there is anything required. If you already have an insurance policy then contact them and ask and see what they say. They may differ to another. 

9 hours ago, snifter said:

You should look up on your state gov. website what to do about your driving licence. I am sure the info you require is there. Usually once PR is held you have a set amount of time in which to change your licence over. Its pretty simple to do and as I said, info easy to find online for your state and local office listing. 

Voting - not that I am aware of

Some of the other things you are probably best to call or email and enquiry to see if there is anything required. If you already have an insurance policy then contact them and ask and see what they say. They may differ to another. 

Thank you.

I have already a NSW driving license but I believe I need to let them know about the status change.

I'll check with all of the admins and will follow up if I have any findings to share.

Regarding voting, I thought Permanent Resident could participate to some local things, oh well :-)

In terms of insurance, I am moving under my partner company cover which is Bupa. Since I am with Bupa for my overseas visitor cover and already have my lifetime health cover letter from Medicare, it looks like it might be easy.

The ATO is another one I will probably need to update while sending my Tax Return.

4 hours ago, Beffers said:

Only citizens have voting rights. Check with Medicare and Centrelink to see of you're eligible for anything extra. 

You can make an appointment to change your licence over, if you haven't done so already. 

Thanks - yeah in terms of social security I really need to check. When I moved from France to Germany, there were definitely a bunch of documents to fill up to make sure the governement would be informed.

2 hours ago, jess6 said:

Thank you.

I have already a NSW driving license but I believe I need to let them know about the status change.

I'll check with all of the admins and will follow up if I have any findings to share.

Regarding voting, I thought Permanent Resident could participate to some local things, oh well :-)

In terms of insurance, I am moving under my partner company cover which is Bupa. Since I am with Bupa for my overseas visitor cover and already have my lifetime health cover letter from Medicare, it looks like it might be easy.

The ATO is another one I will probably need to update while sending my Tax Return.

Its worth checking your local council website as there are some which do allow PR holder the vote in local elections - I think some also allow anyone who is a rateayer, but I'm not absolutelysure on that. Check with the website of whichever council area you live in.

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2017 at 13:59, Nemesis said:

Its worth checking your local council website as there are some which do allow PR holder the vote in local elections - I think some also allow anyone who is a rateayer, but I'm not absolutelysure on that. Check with the website of whichever council area you live in.

If you are a permanent resident, and you want to travel outside Australia, you must make sure you can return.

Normally, as a permanent resident, your visa will let you leave and come back into Australia for up to five years from the date it was granted. After five years, if you want to leave and return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must have a Five Year Resident Return visa.