EOI Work Experience Points

suziemac59

Hello

I am in the process of completing my EOI for a skilled visa, I am applying under the management accountant job and I have had a skills assessment from CPA the professional body which gives me the full points for my qualifications.  They didn't assess my work experience I have submitted all my documentation to them and I'm waiting for a response.

My question is do I need to wait to hear back before I submit the EOI?  The form only asks about the skills assessment and asks for the relevant authority and the date this was awarded.  The employment section just asks for the jobs I've done and the dates, it doesn't require any confirmation that this has been assessed.

I'm ready to go with everything else.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:26, suziemac59 said:

Hello

I am in the process of completing my EOI for a skilled visa, I am applying under the management accountant job and I have had a skills assessment from CPA the professional body which gives me the full points for my qualifications.  They didn't assess my work experience I have submitted all my documentation to them and I'm waiting for a response.

My question is do I need to wait to hear back before I submit the EOI?  The form only asks about the skills assessment and asks for the relevant authority and the date this was awarded.  The employment section just asks for the jobs I've done and the dates, it doesn't require any confirmation that this has been assessed.

I'm ready to go with everything else.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I am in the same situation, my boyfriend got a positive skills assessment from TRA as a joiner but it does not say how many years of experience he can claim ... so we  filled  EOI but not submitted it yes as not sure if we have done it the right way... did you manage to find  this out? it would be very helpful! thanks A

It depends on whether you have applied for points test advice. If you have, then it makes sense to wait for this to come back and see what it says prior to submitting an EOI.

If on the other hand you have not applied for points test advice, then you can proceed with the EOI, providing you are sure you have all the required evidence for the work experience you wish to claim for - ultimately the case officer will make the final decision  on whether your employment will be counted. We have very rarely applied for points test advice for trade applicants.

The bottom line is that prior to submitting any EOI, always makes sure you have all the employment evidence you need to cover the work experience you are claiming for.

Regards,

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Gregan said:

It depends on whether you have applied for points test advice. If you have, then it makes sense to wait for this to come back and see what it says prior to submitting an EOI.

If on the other hand you have not applied for points test advice, then you can proceed with the EOI, providing you are sure you have all the required evidence for the work experience you wish to claim for - ultimately the case officer will make the final decision  on whether your employment will be counted. We have very rarely applied for points test advice for trade applicants.

The bottom line is that prior to submitting any EOI, always makes sure you have all the employment evidence you need to cover the work experience you are claiming for.

Regards,

Richard

my partner applied under joiner category for the skills assessment,  we were under impression that when we get the skills assessment they will tell us as well how many years for work experience we can claim - but they said they don't do that. We submitted work evidence for 7 y and 10 m so though this will be assessed too. They also said they 3 years will be taken off from his work experience for training ( as he only has NVQ L2 and not 3) but we are not sure at what stage of the application this will be taken off. we filled in EOI but never submitted it,  as not sure how to claim years of experience and to deduct those 3 for training.. can you help please?

thank you

Andana

In cases such as the above, you enter all the work experience, and you supply evidence for all the work experience, but you enter the first three years as 'not relevant', as the Department takes off the first three years to count as an informal 'apprenticeship period'. The subsequent employment in the last 10 years is then counted for points (providing you have evidence for it).

Regards,

Richard

4 hours ago, Richard Gregan said:

In cases such as the above, you enter all the work experience, and you supply evidence for all the work experience, but you enter the first three years as 'not relevant', as the Department takes off the first three years to count as an informal 'apprenticeship period'. The subsequent employment in the last 10 years is then counted for points (providing you have evidence for it).

Regards,

Richard

ah ok, thanks very much for clarifying this! that makes sense :)

so basically he worked for 1 company 6 years and first 2 of those were when he was doing apprenticeship - so would it be best to split this work period and do 3 y as not relevant and the last 3 years as relevant? and submit all evidence for those 3 years and for all other relater work after? 

Many thanks for your help :)

A

14 minutes ago, Richard Gregan said:

Yes, that's it.

Regards,

Richard

great thank you very much :)  I hope you don't mind me asking one more question - my partner has now AQF certificate III,  so we should list this under - An award or qualification recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation. - and should get 10 p?

thank you again ! :)

A

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:29, Richard Gregan said:

No problem. Golden rule with EOIs is only to enter what you can back up with evidence *now*. Don't lodge EOIs with anticipated qualifications, IELTS results or skills results. This may sound obvious but it happens!

Regards,

Richard

Thanks for this! My partner already did IELTS (got superior so 20 points), 30 points for age, skills assessment was done by down under and got AQF Certificate III in Joinery so 10 p  for the assessed qualifications, and for work experience we are planning claim 5 points (4 y of experience)

He did full time apprenticeship:

NVQ L1 – Sep 2004 – June 2005

NVQ L2  - Sep 2005 – June 2006  

And worked full time as a part of the apprenticeship

Company 1 – Oct 2004 – May 2005 (7m) – ( Not relevant, not claiming points to account for training)

Company 2 – Oct 2005 – Dec 2008 ( 39 m) - ( Not relevant, not claiming points to account for training)

All together leaving out 4 y for training  (just to be on a safe side)

Company 2 (same company as above but going to split it)– Jan 2009 –June 2011 (30 m) – claiming points for experience

Company 3 – Jan 2016 – June 2017 (18 m) - claiming points for experience

All together claiming 4 y for experience so 5 points. All together this gives us 65 points. I think we could go for 70 but a bit worried not to over claim due to those first few years being taken for training. does that seem tight then ?

thanks! A

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:29, Richard Gregan said:

No problem. Golden rule with EOIs is only to enter what you can back up with evidence *now*. Don't lodge EOIs with anticipated qualifications, IELTS results or skills results. This may sound obvious but it happens!

Regards,

Richard

Thank you for this! Can I just check one more thing please ? To make sure we filled in the EOI correctly ? Just want to make sure we listed all things in the right way before we submit!

My partner already did IELTS (got superior so 20 points), 30 points for age, skills assessment was done by down under and got AQF Certificate III in Joinery so 10 p  for the assessed qualifications, and for work experience we are planning claim 5 points (4 y of experience)

He did full time apprenticeship:

NVQ L1 – Sep 2004 – June 2005

NVQ L2  - Sep 2005 – June 2006  

And worked full time as a part of the apprenticeship

Company 1 – Oct 2004 – May 2005 (7m) – ( Not relevant, not claiming points to account for training)

Company 2 – Oct 2005 – Dec 2008 ( 39 m) - ( Not relevant, not claiming points to account for training)

All together leaving out 4 y for training  (just to be on a safe side)

Company 2 (same company as above but going to split it)– Jan 2009 –June 2011 (30 m) – claiming points for experience

Company 3 – Jan 2016 – June 2017 (18 m) - claiming points for experience

All together claiming 4 y for experience so 5 points. All together this gives us 65 points. I think we could go for 70 but a bit worried not to over claim due to those first few years being taken off for training. does that seem tight then ?

Thanks or your help!!  A

Yes that seems sound. As you say, immigration will deduct the first three years, leaving all other employment in the last 10 years available for points (providing you can evidence it).

The NVQs have no bearing on the application as they are below the required level, but you would be correct to include them as they still indicate his training and background in the trade.

Regards,

Richard

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:21, Richard Gregan said:

Yes that seems sound. As you say, immigration will deduct the first three years, leaving all other employment in the last 10 years available for points (providing you can evidence it).

The NVQs have no bearing on the application as they are below the required level, but you would be correct to include them as they still indicate his training and background in the trade.

Regards,

Richard

thanks for this! so we have added  NVQs L2 in the education bit  under -Other qualification or award recognized by the assessing authority  - as he got a Certificate III in Joinery - so this will get us 10 p, this is correct isn't it?

Thanks

A

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:15, Richard Gregan said:

But were the NVQ2s 'recognised by the assessing authority'? I don't think they were.

It's the Cert 3 in Joinery which will get you the 10 points.

my partner submitted NVQ2 documents and skilled employment evidence for 7 y , so he got a positive skills assessment and Cert 3 in joinery.

That's why we thought we need to select in the education bit - An award or qualification recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation - which  will give us 10 points.

Or are we to add this under AQF in the drop down menu?

• 2 weeks later...

But why would they deduct inital three years... If your husband is having valid trade education..
As per my understanding initial years are deducted if candidate doesn't not have any education certificate to support the visa application...

No experience will be deducted wherein candidates having valid education related to trade...

Pls revert if you have some suggestion on this...

1 hour ago, jagzz said:

But why would they deduct inital three years... If your husband is having valid trade education..
As per my understanding initial years are deducted if candidate doesn't not have any education certificate to support the visa application...

No experience will be deducted wherein candidates having valid education related to trade...

Pls revert if you have some suggestion on this...

I think this is a s he does not have NVQ3 and only NVQ2, so they kind of tread first 3 years as training and only after that count the employment for points. We were told this by down under center and Richard said so as well :)

A

Yes, that's correct. At the visa stage, immigration will deduct the first three years of referenced experience and count this as an informal training period, *unless* the applicant has a relevant qualification at the required (AQF 3) level. If the applicant does have a relevant NVQ 3, Advanced City & Guilds etc, then immigration will award points for all referenced experience from the date of the qualification as long as that experience is within the last 10 years.

Edited by Richard Gregan

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

This thread hasn't been active for a while but i thought i would try anyway!

Hoping someone can help with my query. I am applying for a 489 Skilled Visa for Health Promotion in Queensland. As some of you will be aware VETASSESS deducts a year for training to the appropriate skill level. Therefore, although i have been in the same job for 3.1 years (at time of assessment), i was only deemed skilled for 2.1 years. When i originally filled out my EOI I only put down the time frame deemed 'skilled' by VETASSESS for my relevant work experience in the role i was assessed for. I also included other jobs i've held (part time/during university etc) but marked them all 'not relevant'  So, i have a year missing from my work history (the year not deemed skilled in current role). I've realised that i should have included that 'non relevant' year but at the time, i wasn't sure how to include it (i.e. how can I include the same job title at same company twice).  Now i have an invitation and so cannot edit or change this. I haven't been allocated any points for my work experience at all (as its less than 3 years) and i am therefore not overclaiming any points. However, if i include this 'not relevant' work experience in my visa application will this be an issue? Does anyone have any experience of this? I know its up to me at the end of the day if i submit or not but would be good to know others experience.

Any help appreciated.