Setting up a bank account in OZ

JR1988

Has anyone got any tips for setting up a bank account in oz and transfering money from my UK account to the oz account? Just been to see someone in my bank and they didnt have a clue how i can transfer money from one to the other

I get charged if i pull the money out the ATM using my UK account and would be a limit on doing this so whats the easiest and cheapest way? Looking to transfer a few £1000 to a oz account

Thanks

Guest John from Moneycorp

Happy to have a chat on transferring money - feel free to private message or email me - john.kinghorn@moneycorp.com

Thanks

John 

Im not with HSBC but might be worth opening an account while im here if its free to transfer

Ive read that most of the banks in oz charge a "account keeping fee" of a few $ a month, are there any that dont charge?

Ive come across Transferwise which looks like a decent way of transfering money and has some good reviews, anyone here used them?

https://transferwise.com/gb/send-money/send-money-to-australia

Edited by JR1988

1 minute ago, JR1988 said:

Im not with HSBC but might be worth opening an account while im here if its free to transfer

Ive read that most of the banks in oz charge a "account keeping fee" of a few $ a month, are there any that dont charge?

Ive come across Transferwise which looks like a decent way of transfering money and has some good reviews, anyone here used them?

https://transferwise.com/gb/send-money/send-money-to-australia

First Direct is free too, but that's probably because they are part of HSBC.

Guest John from Moneycorp

Always worth checking out the exchange rate you are actually getting - then compare it - some banks offer a fee free service, however it is also important that you receive a competitive exchange rate.

Thanks

John