Any suggestions as to how to send rolex watches?

Badgrammars

Afternoon all

My wife and I have just been granted our 189 visa. We shall be moving to Adelaide in January 2018.

On route, we are planning 1 month each in Thailand and Vietnam. Alongside this, we are sending our goods via ship as we leave the UK.

My parents gifted us very expensive rolexes a year or so ago. We do not want to take these through SE Asia. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them to Australia? There are 2 man considerations: Insurance and tax. We are also air freighting an emergency package to some local friends.

Any help greatly appreciated... we are stuck.

Thanks

This is very much a tongue in cheek reply - no offence intended!  I wear my Rolex when in SE Asia.  There are so many fake ones around in that area that nobody could really tell fake from real.  Can you tell the fake one from the real one in this picture?

Rolex.jpg

• Like 1

This is very much a tongue in cheek reply - no offence intended!  I wear my Rolex when in SE Asia.  There are so many fake ones around in that area that nobody could really tell fake from real.  Can you tell the fake one from the real one in this picture?

Rolex.thumb.jpg.0a3fd3186548b30aad64d436748eb58d.jpg

I have to agree, there are some very good fakes there. Sweeping hand on the Rolex (rather than ticking), you'd never know without examining it.

Yep.  Rolex has made all sorts of styles including ticking hands, and even battery models.  I have one that dates from the early 80s which has some of the features that you're told to look for as fakes: rolled steel in the wrist band and a small cyclops window are the two most notable.  It's just how they made them 30 years ago and has been assessed as genuine by a dealer as I had my doubts.

But anyway, to get back to the question by the OP.  If you were to get it sent by post, you'd have to prove that it was owned by you and not just bought recently as Customs would hold on to it until you payed the assessed GST.  I'd just wear it.