Renting property

sunshinedawn

If we rent a property in Melbourne a 3 bedroom around $400per week. Can anyone give a rough idea of what price bills i.e gas, electric, water etc we would have to pay. Do we have to pay for house insurance. We just need to make sure that we can budget for everything on my husband's wage.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

I live in a 2 bedroom around North Melbourne. Gas + Electricity + Water is approx $300 / month. Not got house insurance.

What areas are you looking at? Renting a 3 bed for that amount may mean going away from the city a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I was paying $1000/year for gas and electric, so @2k/y. 2 bed detached unit, 1 person WFH, Had to pay for water, but for some reason or another I did not get billed. Odd.

Utility prices are soaring now in AU(scarily so), so try to look around for the best deals/discounts.

Body Corp fees taken care by the landlord.

We were paying $200 a month for electricity,gas and water. I take it your $400 a week is for a house 20km out of Melbourne ? We looked at house contents in case of being robbed but we couldn't afford it it was $700 a year and that didn't even include being robbed. That was just in case of fire. I think ins depends on where you live, if your in a high fire risk area. Council tax is included in your rent. No tv licence to pay, but I'd rather pay that than watch the drivel on Aussie tv! If your looking at living in Melbourne I would look for a house with a log burner as heating the house cost us $100 a month to heat. And we seldom used it as it was so expensive . If you have thick duvets and electric blankets and throws bring them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Parley said:

You should get House Contents insurance in case you are robbed.

This covers your belongings, not the building.

Never mind being robbed, there are also events like fires which destroy everything you own - house firesas well as bushfires. Never heard of contents insurance that didn't cover burglary and theft, and fire.

Personally I would never be without some level of contents insurance, 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Never mind being robbed, there are also events like fires which destroy everything you own - house firesas well as bushfires. Never heard of contents insurance that didn't cover burglary and theft, and fire.

Personally I would never be without some level of contents insurance, 

Agreed.  We were flooded with sewage nearly 2 years ago and lost over $22k worth of contents.  Unless you can afford to replace everything if the worst happens then you can't afford not to have home insurance really.  

• Like 1