Please help a confused Primary Teacher

sammy11480

Dear all

I'm so pleased to have found this forum and I really hope someone would be kind enough to help give me some advice. I am very confused with the research I have done so far and am looking for help!

I am a Primary School teacher, 7 years experience. I have a family; a husband and two young children. I have a PGCE and am in the process of getting my skills assessment.

I understand that Primary School teachers are oversubscribed in Oz so I am looking for areas where the best job opportunities will be.

As far as I understand the areas where primary teacher are listed on the skills list are: Victoria ( but I don't have a language skill), and SA. I'm not sure if it is still on the list for the NT.

I am most interested in SA where I am looking at the 489 Visa which would give me 80 points. As this is classed as high points I think I am eligible to apply for this visa with Primary teacher only being on the supplementary list.

Please does anyone have any experience of the 489 to SA? Are there any Primary teachers out there who are making/ have recently made the move to OZ? What Visa did you get? Were you able to get employment before you made the move? How difficult was it to get a job when you arrived?

Any advice is greatly, greatly appreciated. All the best everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Primary teachers are on the list for SA still? If so I don't get why apart from they probably needing to fill the rural remote posts that very few want, not even many of the locals. 

I just wrote a post in reply to someone else on another thread. The links I provide are for SA. The index is 1-7 and there is a PDF that explains how its worked out and why. 

Honestly, you could probably find some supply work (how much is impossible to know) in Adelaide at an ok/decent school but there will be many many people applying for those same jobs and for the permanent and year contracts. Look at the schools in and around Adelaide that perhaps don't fare so well on the index? Or go rural. Although with kids I'd not go rural as it really isn't the kind of life I'd have moved to Aus for but if you wanted to, could find a decent town and could stick it for a year it could be seen as a plus point on your CV for jobs in and around the city once you've done a stint out in the country. I know of someone who has taken a job 14 hours drive from Adelaide as she could not get work in the city. So took a year contract a long way away. 

You could also look at schools an hour or so out from Adelaide's outer lying suburbs. So not really remote but still country. And you could live closer to Adelaide then but have a bit of a commute for a while is all. 

Primary teachers are on the list for SA still? If so I don't get why apart from they probably needing to fill the rural remote posts that very few want, not even many of the locals. 
I just wrote a post in reply to someone else on another thread. The links I provide are for SA. The index is 1-7 and there is a PDF that explains how its worked out and why. 
Honestly, you could probably find some supply work (how much is impossible to know) in Adelaide at an ok/decent school but there will be many many people applying for those same jobs and for the permanent and year contracts. Look at the schools in and around Adelaide that perhaps don't fare so well on the index? Or go rural. Although with kids I'd not go rural as it really isn't the kind of life I'd have moved to Aus for but if you wanted to, could find a decent town and could stick it for a year it could be seen as a plus point on your CV for jobs in and around the city once you've done a stint out in the country. I know of someone who has taken a job 14 hours drive from Adelaide as she could not get work in the city. So took a year contract a long way away. 
You could also look at schools an hour or so out from Adelaide's outer lying suburbs. So not really remote but still country. And you could live closer to Adelaide then but have a bit of a commute for a while is all. 

[/url]  

Hi Snifter

Thanks so much for getting back.

I ideally would like to have a job lined up before I arrived so this is looking a little worrying with what you are saying.

I really know nothing about the rural areas and have never visited them so it's hard to tell whether we would be happy living there. I need to do a lot of research on that. Do you have any idea of any particular remote areas that I could look into?

I would love to read your last feed but the link is not working. Which forum was that post in ?

Many thanks again.

I am not sure you could line a job up before arriving due to needing to register, take the first aid course, Aus police check (and fingerprints?)  etc. Also permanent and year contracts tend to be advertised at a certain point in the year (iirc around July or August) and the posts to start end of Jan with th new school year. Supply work would mean getting your CV round the schools before they open for the new year or if mid year then getting round them asap. 

Of course, if you are looking at rural or remote areas that have unfilled vancancies you may have luck but am not sure how it would work for overseas applicants. 

Hi Snifter

Thanks so much for getting back.

I ideally would like to have a job lined up before I arrived so this is looking a little worrying with what you are saying.

I really know nothing about the rural areas and have never visited them so it's hard to tell whether we would be happy living there. I need to do a lot of research on that. Do you have any idea of any particular remote areas that I could look into?

I would love to read your last feed but the link is not working. Which forum was that post in ?

Many thanks again.

Realistically that's not going to happen for you. It's very rare that anyone could swing a long term position from overseas unless it's secondary maths/physics somewhere out at woop woop. A primary teacher from overseas really is going to struggle to ever get anything permanent in a nice place let alone before they arrive.

Rural and remote living isn't really something you can research - just think of what your "dream of Australia" is then rural and remote will be the complete antithesis. It's nothing like living in the British countryside. It's tough, it's isolated, it's physically inhospitable, it's socially variable, it's not replete with opportunities for anyone else in the family (it's a single person's gig for the most part)

Take a career break, rent out your home and test the waters by all means if you are eligible for a visa.

Emigration as a teacher to Australia is a very tough gig

The link in my post should show up. Your quote doesn't work though for me. 
Here is a link to the thread. My post is in there somewhere on this page https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/195635-any-teachers-applying-now/?page=3

Hi
I have found it. It's really useful advice thank you. I will look further into the areas you mention and continue to pursue the 489 Visa route. Warm regards.