We are home!

Pixie77

We arrived home end of July to stay with my parents. The children. 18 months old & 3 now 4 are loving it, the 3 year old had the best family birthday she could have imagined. & we all feel it's been the best move. We've slotted in & are enjoying so much- playgroups that run through the summer- made friends already! The variety of cheap food, the weather, music, festivals. Etc we feel alive again. Best of all- babysitters!!!  Hubby e moving down south for job in few weeks so things will change but so far it's great. 

Oh by the way we arrived using kids Oz passports &  now getting UK ones- no dramas entering or registering for Dr. Etc. Easy. Preschool starts September as we deferred school place. 

No regrets at all, enjoyed Oz & now enjoying UK both have their strengths 

• Like 12

Hi Pixie and 'welcome home'!! So glad things are going well. The weather will always be unpredictable, the economy will peak and trough and politicians will always promise the earth until they get elected....but to lots of people (me included) it is home. All the best for the coming weeks and months as you continue to find your feet. T x

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 12:13, Pixie77 said:

We arrived home end of July to stay with my parents. The children. 18 months old & 3 now 4 are loving it, the 3 year old had the best family birthday she could have imagined. & we all feel it's been the best move. We've slotted in & are enjoying so much- playgroups that run through the summer- made friends already! The variety of cheap food, the weather, music, festivals. Etc we feel alive again. Best of all- babysitters!!!  Hubby e moving down south for job in few weeks so things will change but so far it's great. 

Oh by the way we arrived using kids Oz passports &  now getting UK ones- no dramas entering or registering for Dr. Etc. Easy. Preschool starts September as we deferred school place. 

No regrets at all, enjoyed Oz & now enjoying UK both have their strengths 

I can just relate to this so much, we went out last night for a little drive to a couple of pubs, sat outside with a drink and soaked up the atmosphere. There is just so much to see and do here. I'm sure you will love it just as much as we are, it sounds as though you are already ?

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:13, Pixie77 said:

we all feel it's been the best move. We've slotted in & are enjoying so much- playgroups that run through the summer- made friends already! The variety of cheap food, the weather, music, festivals. Etc we feel alive again. 

That's great to hear. Down there in Perth we felt like we were 10 years behind the rest of the world and so cut off from everything.    I totally get the bit about feeling free as well. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:56, bristolman said:

I can just relate to this so much, we went out last night for a little drive to a couple of pubs, sat outside with a drink and soaked up the atmosphere. There is just so much to see and do here. I'm sure you will love it just as much as we are, it sounds as though you are already ?

I can relate to that ...stopped in a village just inside Germany on Sunday , and I thought " where is everybody " ....boring ....dead

quite pretty and clean ...but bloody hell ...BORING

nothing like our villages and towns ,anywhere in Europe

Even Strasbourg was very quiet....

I can just relate to this so much, we went out last night for a little drive to a couple of pubs, sat outside with a drink and soaked up the atmosphere. There is just so much to see and do here. I'm sure you will love it just as much as we are, it sounds as though you are already [emoji16]

That's wonderful... Just doing research ourselves and trying to decide which area to move back to. Which area of the U.K have you moved back to?

I am struggling to decide.. We are from the SE but property is so expensive and I am concerned about schools as our son will be going back in time to start his GCSE's.. He also has ADHD so needs guidance staying on task (is well behaved, so no issues regarding behaviour). He is at a private school here and they just don't care. In the process of considering legal action based on the disability discrimination act. According to one of his teachers who is from the UK, he would get a lot more help at home. I have done some research and i am not sure if the UK system is any better..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MelT said:

That's wonderful... Just doing research ourselves and trying to decide which area to move back to. Which area of the U.K have you moved back to?

I am struggling to decide.. We are from the SE but property is so expensive and I am concerned about schools as our son will be going back in time to start his GCSE's.. He also has ADHD so needs guidance staying on task (is well behaved, so no issues regarding behaviour). He is at a private school here and they just don't care. In the process of considering legal action based on the disability discrimination act. According to one of his teachers who is from the UK, he would get a lot more help at home. I have done some research and i am not sure if the UK system is any better..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. We moved to Herefordshire and absolutely love it, affordable  housing, low population density, very little traffic, very friendly people. Our 2 boys have just been accepted into a 6th Form college in Hereford which has been rated Outstanding and won best 6th Form College. As ghey say, life is good. Our personal opinion is that the education system here is better. 

• Like 1

I think I could happily retire in Herefordshire or just across in Powys for all the reasons you stated.  

We are up in Scotland working just now and the SNP have whacked up the council taxes to insane levels with more increases on the horizon. 

The personal taxes of those who pay into the 40% bracket are next on her hit list for an increase. 

I can see the SNP scrapping the 40% rate and upping it to  50% rate and at the same time lowering the threshold back down to £32k.

No smoke without fire with this lot.  

While I love the UK, I do not like the SNP. 

Edited by Home and Happy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Home and Happy said:

I think I could happily retire in Herefordshire or just across in Powys for all the reasons you stated.  

We are up in Scotland working just now and the SNP have whacked up the council taxes to insane levels with more increases on the horizon. 

The personal taxes of those who pay into the 40% bracket are next on her hit list for an increase. 

I can see the SNP scrapping the 40% rate and upping it to  50% rate and at the same time lowering the threshold back down to £32k.

Herefordshire is lovely, we had friends up from Wiltshire yesterday for a BBQ and they were again amazed at the amount of open countryside and lack of traffic.

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 03:20, bunbury61 said:

I can relate to that ...stopped in a village just inside Germany on Sunday , and I thought " where is everybody " ....boring ....dead

quite pretty and clean ...but bloody hell ...BORING

nothing like our villages and towns ,anywhere in Europe

Even Strasbourg was very quiet....

You must have been given wrong instructions to follow.  Smaller towns in Germany can have a wonderful ambiance, as in much of Europe, with folk enjoying a beer or coffee on a terrace outside a café as life revolves around them.

Besides that German towns and cities are not inflicted by the anti social elements found in larger towns in UK. German localities are generally safe to walk after dark. Safe for women and not prone to the weekend getting totally 'rat assed' , all to commonly  found within  British and Aussie drinking culture.

8 hours ago, Parley said:

It can't be that good.

The only reason there would be a lack of traffic is because not many people want to live there.

Melbourne has the opposite problem. Everyone wants to live here so the traffic is really bad.

Yes, it can be that good and in fact it is. Sorry to disappoint you lol

By your ridiculous logic Beijing must be one of the most popular places in the world to live, the traffic proves it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

Yes, it can be that good and in fact it is. Sorry to disappoint you lol

By your ridiculous logic Beijing must be one of the most popular places in the world to live, the traffic proves it. 

Yes agree.

Or maybe there is less traffic because people actually walk or cycle or use public transport, rather than just hopping in the car to go 2 mins down the road and back again. 

:ph34r:

So we have this thread detracted off from the topic and it's still only the first page. 

Do you stop to check the forum the thread is in or the subject matter and the OP? Or do some simply want to shout loudest and longest in any thread possible regardless. 

A thread may head naturally into a slightly different direction, as when someone mentioned about thinking of moving back, but then to derail things after that.... some people seem keen, without let up to start bickering in just about any thread they can possibly squeeze it in to, including this one. Enough with it, be respectful to the OP and that this is not CTF. Arguing over which is better and why as you are, you have been here time and again and it's old. Move on. 

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:03, bristolman said:

Thank you. We moved to Herefordshire and absolutely love it, affordable  housing, low population density, very little traffic, very friendly people. Our 2 boys have just been accepted into a 6th Form college in Hereford which has been rated Outstanding and won best 6th Form College. As ghey say, life is good. Our personal opinion is that the education system here is better. 

I can validate your post for you Bristol ....parts of Herefordshire and Northumbria have some of the lowest population density in England ...if you don't like city life then herefordhire would be a good choice .

when you are in the sticks in Herefordshire - Shropshire - or the welsh border areas , you are in the sticks .

I have sat drinking tea with clients looking out at their bird feeders , looking at birds I thought only existed in books ?

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 07:38, Home and Happy said:

the snp would be a good barometer for a corbyn government

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 04:40, Pura Vida said:

You must have been given wrong instructions to follow.  Smaller towns in Germany can have a wonderful ambiance, as in much of Europe, with folk enjoying a beer or coffee on a terrace outside a café as life revolves around them.

Besides that German towns and cities are not inflicted by the anti social elements found in larger towns in UK. German localities are generally safe to walk after dark. Safe for women and not prone to the weekend getting totally 'rat assed' , all to commonly  found within  British and Aussie drinking culture.

i just said it was boring ...nothing else .

I have travelled to quite a few of these German and French villages .

some of them are quite pretty , but they haven't got the same vibe as their British counterparts .

I can wax lyrical about Europe in general , I love it , but I call it as I see it .