Customs clearance times

Gareth 666

I did the customs clearance myself as I have never seen the point in paying someone to do something I can do. A lovely lady at HMRC talked me through what I had to do and the whole process took perhaps a week once it was landed here. If you have a broker do it possibly a bit longer. A couple of weeks maximum I would say. 

• Like 1

My stuff cleared customs last week, much quicker than I expected  I had been told it would take 1 to 2 weeks as it was a shared container but it took 2 days assuming the ship docked on the day they said it would. My stuff was packed by the shippers not me, apparently self packed consignments more likely to be checked.

It actually took longer for the Uk company to arrange delivery but to be fair I didn't push them as it is going into storage until I get a house

• Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 05:45, Phil & Vikki said:

We have not moved back yet, but from what we hear we are counting on a few months on the boat and a few weeks to be cleared.

You shouldn't be a few months on the boat, unless you ask for a delayed shipment. Our shipment left Perth on the 6th March and arrived on the 5th of April. Cleared customs by the 11th, which included a weekend.

3 minutes ago, Martinbjulieb said:

You shouldn't be a few months on the boat, unless you ask for a delayed shipment. Our shipment left Perth on the 6th March and arrived on the 5th of April. Cleared customs by the 11th, which included a weekend.

Shared containers take longer, my shipment was stored for  8 weeks before being shipped and the ship took about 7 weeks from Sydney.

On 15/08/2017 at 19:12, Martinbjulieb said:

Yep same as ScottieGirl, so can take longer. it sounds like you were lucky :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, namron1 said:

At the receiving end does all the items in the container get offloaded for the customs check?

Do they items then get loaded back into the container or do they get moved to a warehouse ready for transporting to the house?

Offloaded and moved to warehouse, irrespective of whether customs inspect.  The containers are reused for other shipments.

Hi Gareth that is 8 days from the boat docked until delivery, a very long time for shipment to be at the docks, did u get any explanation as to why it took so long?

The ship is due in 24th August. The delivery of our furniture etc to our house is booked for September 1st. Yes, that's eight days but that's eight days for unloading, customs clearance, re-packing into a van and delivery to home. I don't think that's too bad?

• 2 years later...

I apologize for bumping...just my 2cents.

Had an experience hiring a customs broker.

Was easier for them to clear my goods because they knew what they're doing already.

Was really tough to start a new life since there is a pandemic going on right now. It took them more than 2 weeks now.

I use ACC Fremantle customs brokers to help me and I apologize, guys, I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future.