Age restrictions on 457 visa

sunshinedawn

Hi my husband is being sponsored by his employer in Australia to work there. We have just finished our application for this and sent everything off to the migration agent and now waiting for an answer.

My question is, with all the new rules and regulations that have come in will my husband's visa be rejected due to his age he is 45 now or will they allow it through for the 2yrs we will be coming in on. We are just a bit concerned that after paying for police checks etc that it will be all for nothing.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

They can do another two year extension, but that is it and he has no path to pr.

You should make sure you know what a 457 is. It is a visa with a lot of issues including:

It is tied to the employer and if he loses his job for any reason, you have 60 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country.

Many states will charge for education for your child. I think the average is about $4k a year.

The partners of 457 holders can find it difficult to find work.

You are not entitled to any state benefits.

Option for credit are more limited.

• Like 1

They can do another two year extension, but that is it and he has no path to pr.
You should make sure you know what a 457 is. It is a visa with a lot of issues including:
It is tied to the employer and if he loses his job for any reason, you have 60 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country.
Many states will charge for education for your child. I think the average is about $4k a year.
The partners of 457 holders can find it difficult to find work.
You are not entitled to any state benefits.
Option for credit are more limited.

Ok thank you for this information. So I may have problems looking for work then. I will just have to wait and see how it goes or just have a 2yr holiday[emoji1] [emoji1]

Ok thank you for this information. So I may have problems looking for work then. I will just have to wait and see how it goes or just have a 2yr holiday[emoji1] [emoji1]

As VS has said, watch out for school fees - that really depends on the state you are planning on going to but range from $4k-$10kpa.

Yes you may well struggle to find work - temporary visa dependents aren't attractive to employers as they could be off with 2 months notice and they might get more bang for their buck with a young home grown option. If you have a professional skill in high demand then once you've got through any registration process you might score locum type work. School hours work is highly sought after by Aussie mums and you would get no assistance with after school care.

Find out what the school cost are if any and negotiate them as part of your husbands salary package. It is a perfectly reasonable request for an employee who is relocating on a temporary basis, if you were permanent you wouldn't have to pay it and you don't have to pay in the UK.  If you don't ask you don't get ?

• Like 1

Find out what the school cost are if any and negotiate them as part of your husbands salary package. It is a perfectly reasonable request for an employee who is relocating on a temporary basis, if you were permanent you wouldn't have to pay it and you don't have to pay in the UK.  If you don't ask you don't get [emoji16]

We're going to Melbourne, I was under the impression that we didn't pay any fees there

As VS has said, watch out for school fees - that really depends on the state you are planning on going to but range from $4k-$10kpa.

Yes you may well struggle to find work - temporary visa dependents aren't attractive to employers as they could be off with 2 months notice and they might get more bang for their buck with a young home grown option. If you have a professional skill in high demand then once you've got through any registration process you might score locum type work. School hours work is highly sought after by Aussie mums and you would get no assistance with after school care.

Would it be worth my while registering with temping agencies, would they try and look for work for me or are they more likely to put an Australian person first as well

Dependng what you do and where you end up living consider doing short term contracts such as mat leave backfills. Mat leave is not mandatory  in Aus but many large companies, particularly affiliates of global corporates offer it anyway. They tend to  be based in Sydney and Melbourne.

3 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

We're going to Melbourne, I was under the impression that we didn't pay any fees there

Correct, you didn't say which state but at the moment Vic doesn't charge but the recent states that have joined ACT and NSW in charging have done it very suddenly and caught people on the hop. There will be the regular fees that everyone pays - " "voluntary" contributions, excursions, uniforms, stationery, fund raisers, visiting teachers, special programs etc so it is by no means cost-less!

Correct, you didn't say which state but at the moment Vic doesn't charge but the recent states that have joined ACT and NSW in charging have done it very suddenly and caught people on the hop. There will be the regular fees that everyone pays - " "voluntary" contributions, excursions, uniforms, stationery, fund raisers, visiting teachers, special programs etc so it is by no means cost-less!

It's similar to what we pay here for my son's school, except we don't pay to see the teacher!

Hi Sunshinedawn,

We are also moving to Melbourne on a Sponsored 457 Visa (4 years) and I have been doing some research trying to best prepare ourselves for the relocation.

As clarified by the migration agent, there is no age restriction to apply for the 457 visa, however as I understand, the 457 visa will be scrapped in March 2018 and replaced by a TSS Visa. Your 457 visa will continue to be valid after March 2018 for its entire validity and then TSS takes over but you will need to apply for this once the 457 expires. The Skilled Migration job list changes every year I think so need to make sure you qualify under the skills list should you want to reapply for a new temporary visa. Not sure what new TSS (March 2018) criteria's are yet as not much information about it has been revealed.

Should you want to apply for Permanent Residency under the 457 Visa, your husband would need to approach his employer after two years and ask for sponsorship but yet again, there is no guarantee and automatic pathway for PR under the 457 visa and the Australian Government are getting tougher on issuing PR (currently there are talks about having a mandatory residence period before anyone will be issued a PR so keep updated about the latest migration news etc...).

The age criteria for PR has been lowered to 45, however, read somewhere that if you can prove that your skills and experience are an asset to Australia then individuals over the age of 45 will also be considered.

Sadly most of us on a 457 Visa will now have to pay school fees (this was announced and came into force in Jan 2017), if I remember right (and this applies to Melbourne too) it is $5100 AUD per child for primary school children and older one's charged something like $6100 AUD, siblings get discount. However, it is also income assessed so if you have a joint income below the threshold you will be exempt from paying school fees. School fees can be paid in installments. Faith Schools are private, really good education and I've been informed their fees are even less then the suggested Government fees...worth looking into!

From feedback I have been getting on the forum, spouses/partners of 457 Visa holders can have difficulty getting jobs as some employers might be reluctant to employ someone if they know it is just temporary but it's not completely lost and it might just take longer or be harder to find employment.

Do an expenditure list budget to see if you can live on your partners income until you find work and factor in things like Medical insurance, rent, utility bills etc...it will give you an idea!

Hope that helps, all the best and Good Luck in your journey!

Edited by Zatara80

Hi Sunshinedawn,
We are also moving to Melbourne on a Sponsored 457 Visa (4 years) and I have been doing some research trying to best prepare ourselves for the relocation.
As clarified by the migration agent, there is no age restriction to apply for the 457 visa, however as I understand, the 457 visa will be scrapped in March 2018 and replaced by a TSS Visa. Your 457 visa will continue to be valid after March 2018 for its entire validity and then TSS takes over but you will need to apply for this once the 457 expires. The Skilled Migration job list changes every year I think so need to make sure you qualify under the skills list should you want to reapply for a new temporary visa. Not sure what new TSS (March 2018) criteria's are yet as not much information about it has been revealed.
Should you want to apply for Permanent Residency under the 457 Visa, your husband would need to approach his employer after two years and ask for sponsorship but yet again, there is no guarantee and automatic pathway for PR under the 457 visa and the Australian Government are getting tougher on issuing PR (currently there are talks about having a mandatory residence period before anyone will be issued a PR so keep updated about the latest migration news etc...).
The age criteria for PR has been lowered to 45, however, read somewhere that if you can prove that your skills and experience are an asset to Australia then individuals over the age of 45 will also be considered.
Sadly most of us on a 457 Visa will now have to pay school fees (this was announced and came into force in Jan 2017), if I remember right (and this applies to Melbourne too) it is $5100 AUD per child for primary school children and older one's charged something like $6100 AUD, siblings get discount. However, it is also income assessed so if you have a joint income below the threshold you will be exempt from paying school fees. School fees can be paid in installments. Faith Schools are private, really good education and I've been informed their fees are even less then the suggested Government fees...worth looking into!
From feedback I have been getting on the forum, spouses/partners of 457 Visa holders can have difficulty getting jobs as some employers might be reluctant to employ someone if they know it is just temporary but it's not completely lost and it might just take longer or be harder to find employment.
Do an expenditure list budget to see if you can live on your partners income until you find work and factor in things like Medical insurance, rent, utility bills etc...it will give you an idea!
Hope that helps, all the best and Good Luck in your journey!

Zatara80 thanks for this info, I didn't realise that it was that much for school fees. Hopefully we should be able to get by until I have found a job even if it's on a tilll in a shop I'm not fussy. The first 3 months rent will be paid by my husband's company so we will try and save as much as we can for when we have to pay for utilities ourselves.

2 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:

Zatara80 thanks for this info, I didn't realise that it was that much for school fees. Hopefully we should be able to get by until I have found a job even if it's on a tilll in a shop I'm not fussy. The first 3 months rent will be paid by my husband's company so we will try and save as much as we can for when we have to pay for utilities ourselves.

You are welcome,

Make sure your husband confirms with his employer if they are paying your rent up front.

Husband is on a sponsored visa and gets relocation assistance, however we have to pay for everything upfront first and need to save all the receipts, he then has to claim  back all the costs via his employer (Department of Victoria) within 6 months of employment.

It's all adding up financially.  Make sure you research everything and read the good, the bad and the ugly about Australia (Australian Newspapers online, Government and Migration news, look at housing costs - domain.au or realestate.com.au, also this Forum gives you really good advice but check that statements are current facts). There are also family blogs from Expats online which will give you a better picture.

All the best!

• Like 1

You are welcome,
Make sure your husband confirms with his employer if they are paying your rent up front.
Husband is on a sponsored visa and gets relocation assistance, however we have to pay for everything upfront first and need to save all the receipts, he then has to claim  back all the costs via his employer (Department of Victoria) within 6 months of employment.
It's all adding up financially.  Make sure you research everything and read the good, the bad and the ugly about Australia (Australian Newspapers online, Government and Migration news, look at housing costs - domain.au or realestate.com.au, also this Forum gives you really good advice but check that statements are current facts). There are also family blogs from Expats online which will give you a better picture.
All the best!

We have a feeling that we will be paying up front as well, but until we get our visas confirmed were not asking questions just yet, we don't want to be presumptuous .

Zatara80 from what i have heard/read the pathway from 457 to pr is/ has been scrapped. No longer an option. At least that's what i understood was happening.

15 hours ago, Nemesis said:

That's the first I've seen of any mention for other states - Queensland and Victoria haven't announced it anywhere else have they?

I have read this on a numerous articles and my understanding is that from January 2018 All States will adopt school fees for 457 Visa holders...

I would personally write to the Department of Education in Victoria and clarify what their current and future guidelines are...it might be that they themselves are waiting for instructions and with the immigration system facing so many changes in the coming months, including the scrapping of 457 visas, they might have put this on hold! 

I think I will write to them myself as this will affect my family personally when we relocate, will post the answer here if I hear back.