489 Tasmania regional Visa

JD3006

Hi all 

I have seen that there is a lot of positive help on this forum so thought I would join. 

I have recently completed my skill assessment and EOI for a 489 to Tasmania with family sponsor and on the skill list. 

My score was 70/60. 

Know I know its a hard question to answer but the only info I can find regarding invitation times was back in 2012.. so a bit dated. 

Has anyone here recently applied for this visa and could shed some light on the time taken.

Many thanks 

ok so I'm getting all sorts of conflicting info from various forums and websites.. the Gov website is useless. 

I need to know what is correct. 

info : 

skill 212314 film and video editor

also have family in Tasmania

I have applied for the 489 state and territory nominated Visa

598be82310bc2_ScreenShot2017-08-10at2_56_37pm.png.c91db1d64abaf027b254466a3a9fd6f5.png

what happens now with this visa now? 

some say I need a job offer some say I don't as its a skill that the state requires and is on there list. 

see this link that I was given 

http://deltaimmigration.com.au/Film-and-Video-Editor/212314.htm

im not sure why its so difficult to get a straight forward answer from the gov website. 

and currently on hold ( 45 mins ) for immigration and boarder hotline to ask them. 

We received state sponsorship from Tasmania for a 190 visa but the process is essentially the same. We applied directly to Tasmania and lodged our EOI at the same time. After two and a half weeks we recieved confirmation of sponsorship and immediately received an invitation to apply for a 190 visa.

Re: if you go to the Tasmania immigration website you will see they require either family sponsorship, job offer, or study in Tasmania to qualify. That said, we had none of these and still got 190 sponsorship. A friend of mine also recently got 489 Tas sponsorship with none of these.

Look for the 'apply for Tasmania Sponsorship' section on the Tas immigration website for details on the process. You need to draft a motivation, indicate what funds you have etc.

Edited by KaizerG

Ok, I think the reason you are confused and we are confused is which stream of 489 you have applied for.

There are two 489 streams. Family sponsored and state sponsored. This is incredibly important as there are different rules to each. For example, a state sponsored 489 can have an occupation on the short term list or the long term list. However, family sponsored MUST have an occupation on the long term list. Which stream have you applied under?

I have applied for the skilled regional - see above screen grab on previous post for the EOI

on their website 

https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migrants/skilled_regional

when you choose this link 

598bf9c8f32b3_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_14_16pm.png.6c9111711d4f5773f5f7001fe5370ff1.png

it doesn't state which list, Long term or short?

when you open that link mine can be found in the short term. 

598bfac0d6caa_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_17_23pm.png.d93fd2813443dab63742d6caae475705.png

then when you click on the Nomination criteria

598bfafd8417a_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_19_07pm.png.4c54c93be0af13ddada860129c6f76fa.png

I can fulfil this one

598bfb4b0aa43_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_20_33pm.png.1372da7d6ecc319ed198da675efccdde.png

so you can see my confusion. 

33 minutes ago, KaizerG said:

We received state sponsorship from Tasmania for a 190 visa but the process is essentially the same. We applied directly to Tasmania and lodged our EOI at the same time. After two and a half weeks we recieved confirmation of sponsorship and immediately received an invitation to apply for a 190 visa.

Re: if you go to the Tasmania immigration website you will see they require either family sponsorship, job offer, or study in Tasmania to qualify. That said, we had none of these and still got 190 sponsorship. A friend of mine also recently got 489 Tas sponsorship with none of these.

Look for the 'apply for Tasmania Sponsorship' section on the Tas immigration website for details on the process. You need to draft a motivation, indicate what funds you have etc.

hi thanks for the reply

did you apply through the Tas website after you submitted your EOI or after an invitation from the EOI ? 

also where you living in Tasmania when you applied. Im currently in Australia but not in Tasmania 

thanks

P.S sorry to all if this is frustrating if I'm asking dumb questions. its all new to me this. 

Edited by JD3006

36 minutes ago, JD3006 said:

hi thanks for the reply

did you apply through the Tas website after you submitted your EOI or after an invitation from the EOI ? 

also where you living in Tasmania when you applied. Im currently in Australia but not in Tasmania 

thanks

P.S sorry to all if this is frustrating if I'm asking dumb questions. its all new to me this. 

Applied after we submitted our EOI. You only get an invitation after they confirm nomination.

I applied from South Africa. The Tas immigration website also has the list of occupations which they will consider for nomination.

ok thanks. 

I just tried the apply now button and filled everything out but said I was not eligible.. the only reason is I said I was in Australia but not currently living in Tasmania ?? 

I find it a bitt odd I can't apply if not living in Tas at the moment but living in Melbourne at this time ( working holiday visa )

you said - "Applied after we submitted our EOI. You only get an invitation after they confirm nomination."

so you submitted your EOI then headed over to the Apply now on task immigration website. 

or 

submitted your EOI waited for x amount of time.. got an invite THEN headed over to the Apply now on task immigration website. 

thanks for your help

Ok, it looks as if you are applying for the state sponsored route rather than the family sponsored.

So, the first thing, I am guessing you have a positive skills assessment and have completed ILETS if claiming points for English?

If you are going down the state sponsored route, then there are two sets of rules you need to follow. The first are those from the department of immigration at border.gov.au - I know the web site on this is crap! Then, you also need to comply with what ever requirements the Tasmania state immigration require.

With regard to your last post, most of the states wont allow an on shore application if you are not living in that state. The reason being that state sponsored visas have been abused in the past as states which are less popular for migrants have easier visa conditions as they want the people more, but, applicants have obtained sponsorship and not moved to the sponsoring state and the states are clamping down on this - hence why NT and Tas often wont sponsor 190 visas.

If you read this https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migrants/skilled_regional the catergories 1 and 2 apply to you as you are on shore. As you are on shore, your having family in the state wont benefit you for a state sponsored 489. That can only apply for off shore applicants. At the moment, to apply you will need to either have a job offer in Tasmania or have studied in Tasmania.

right ok.. bit daft with not being able to apply from Vic.. you would think that if I didn't go to Tas after it was granted they would cancel it and deport. 

So if I moved to Tas, I can then apply for the Visa.. will that allow me to use the family side if I am indeed in Tas. 

As the description on the migration Tas website seems to be worded in that way. 

Unfortunately, if you are on shore and applying for state sponsored 489, you must use either cat 1 or cat 2 criteria, which means either a Tas graduate or a job offer and the job must meet the criteria stated - not every job will. This applies even if living in Tas. On that link, look at the bit for nomination on the left hand side

The other option might be to apply under the family sponsored stream if your family in Tas can meet the criteria, though you will still need to move to Tas to apply.

yeah my brother lives there and has done for over a year and will be a citizen in a few months ( has been in OZ for 5+ years ) so meets the requirements.. 

can't believe I have to move over there to be able to apply with no guarantee that they will grant it.. backwards system. 

States don't have the authority to cancel visas, only DIBP can do this.  States could perhaps complain to DIBP if visa holders don't fulfill the moral obligation to live/work in the state but I suspect DIBP is too busy to have time to look into any complaints they may receive.  So instead states tighten up the criteria for who they will accept for nomination.  Perhaps a strongly worded support letter explaining your motivation to move to Tasmania if a visa was granted would help, but certainly moving there would be more likely to help.

thanks for advice. 

I have written to Migration Tasmania to ask them directly maybe with them knowing all the criterias I currently fill and the fact my brother lives there and my parents are migrating to retire there, its obvious my intensions. 

its just hard choice to make for me and my fiancé to quit work here to move over to Tas before we get a Visa. the only reason we are still hear working is to save as much money for when we get the visa to finally move so we have no financial issue whilst seeking new work. 

Hi kaiser could you, did they ask any supported documents for declaration of funds

Sent from my HTC Desire 630 dual sim using PomsinOz mobile app

On 11 August 2017 at 03:37, JD3006 said:

just had reply from migration Tas...

they said "just click yes to living in Tas and apply.." 

There is a golden rule. The rule is never ever under any circumstances take advice from the immigration department or the state migration departments. I know it sounds odd, but you would be amazed how many people do and get in a mess. We see it regularly on here and there is no point complaining later as you will get a standard response "it is your responsibility to take guidance from a registered migration agent".

On 8/12/2017 at 12:41, JonathanMRU said:

Hi kaiser could you, did they ask any supported documents for declaration of funds

Sent from my HTC Desire 630 dual sim using PomsinOz mobile app

Sorry only saw this now. They may ask for them (at least that's what it says on the website). I provided a copy of my title deeds upfront but didn't provide any bank statements etc. They approved my application without any further document requests.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 06:58, KaizerG said:

Congrats on your nomination. What was your occupation and how points did you apply with minus state sponsorship point?