Vetasses technical interview Chef

Gazobrien08

Okay my name is Gary i have a vetassess technical interview tomorrow 7th of August I have been a chef nearly 13 year's and I am nervous about what's going to happen i know i should relax and study a little bit but my mind wonders the worst anyways since I can't find any help anywhere about anyone doing a vetassess technical interview i will give an update after i finish my one so I can let chef's know what to expect when they go in any hows wish me luck i keep yous posted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so i went for technical interview it was 2 hours long from 2pm to 4 pm i got ask 57 questions about everything in cheffing my biggest weakness is pastries i am terribly i could not remember how you make certain pastry as i did about 13 years ago in college any hows i came out of the interview thinking i had failed due to not remembering about pastry so for about a week and a half i was sick as a dog with worries i got the phone call from my immigration lawyer saying i had passed my skills assessment i was delighted here's were i got annoyed so i did my test on the  7th of August i got out of the test center at 4 pm they sent the certificate on the very same day i did my test which is very strange looks like they just tick boxs if you look at the sheet i got C on everything which means competent even on pastries which I couldn't remember a thing anyways I am delighted hopefully this will help a lot of people.

2017-08-21 13.31.28.jpg

• 1 month later...

That's great news Gary!

I should point out that Vetassess take the marking very seriously, so you shouldn't be annoyed because they issued the result almost right away (Vetassess are usually accused of being too slow. They can never win can they?).

While I can't comment on your pastries, I wouldn't want people to imagine the interview is a simple box ticking exercise. That may lead to a disappointing outcome for some.

Regards,

Richard

• 9 months later...

hi Gazoberin

i want some help for vetassess as a chef

i have 3 year full time experience and i am ready to apply for vetassessment so can yu suggest me for which way i can go 

as a cook 

or as a chef

which is best for me to apply for permanent visa 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hey chefs so i just passed my first stage with vetassess thank god big stress relief had to get it reviewed due to 1 of my references not having a contact email :(

so can anybody give me an idea as to what to prepare for for stage to technical interview thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, 
I am applying for vetasses stage 2 technical interview for chef. Can anyone guide me about the type of questions they ask during interview or any recent experience of someone.
TIA
JASPREET

Before my technical interview, I was stressing so much because I couldn't find much online about the actual interview so this is the whole process in as much detail as I can remember.... This is just my experience, but I hope it helps. Remember my skills assessment was for cook. The assessment for chef might be different, but I can't really say.

1. If you look on the fact sheet on the VETASSESS website, they list all of the units that you will need to know. If you copy the code for each unit (e.g. SITXFSA001) into Google, and click on the result from training.gov.au you can find a link for a detailed description of what you will need to know for each unit.

2. For the first part, you need to send proof of your employment and qualifications (if you have them). I got a national insurance record from HMRC which shows all my employers over the last ten years and how much money I earned in each job. I got references from each employer. I sent bank statements showing the first and last pay from each employer. I also sent a CV and made sure that the responsibilities listed in each job covered each unit from the VETASSESS website. If you have contracts of employment and payslips, then send them. Any pictures of you at work are good too. Basically send all the proof you can find that you worked where you say you worked and that you did the job of a cook/chef according to the units on VETASSESS.

3. It took about two months for the first part to come back as successful.

4. About a month later I was given a date for the technical interview, and the actual interview was about another month further down the line.

5. During this time I was given a link to an online questionnaire that just covered food hygiene and cleanliness. I had to complete 11 questions in 30 minutes and you have to give proper written answers, its not just multiple choice and ticking boxes. I was asked all of these questions again in the interview.

6. The technical interview lasted about two hours. You go up to a migration agency office in London and they sit you in a room on your own with a computer and an Australian assessor asks you the questions over Skype. The questions are also shown on the computer screen in a Powerpoint style presentation.

In the technical interview, the assessor will ask you questions covering each of the units so you need to make sure you know them all. There were a couple of bits that I haven't done much of like making cakes and bread. I bought an NVQ level 2 course book and did loads of revision on the things I wasn't sure about. 

The questions will relate to your previous jobs so they will ask you things like "give me some examples of starters from your menu". They will then pick a starter and ask you to explain how you prepare it. They don't just pick a random dish and ask you to explain how you make it because you might never have made it before.

They ask lots of questions on food hygiene, cross contamination, fridge temperatures, storage, checking deliveries etc. There was also a few questions on dietary requirements and substituting ingredients for gluten free etc.

I was nervous but the assessor was really friendly and kind. I got the impression that he wanted me to pass and with a couple of things I wasn't too confident on, he kind of led me to the right answer so he could tick the box for that unit. I did know the answer, my mind just went blank a couple of times due to nerves but he helped me relax and find the right answer.

If you know your job you won't have a problem, most of the questions are really simple. On cakes, all he asked me to do was name five different types of cake and that was it. The most detailed questions were about hygiene, health and safety, all types of kitchen equipment and asking you to explain how you made dishes on your menu - examples of starters, mains, fish, meat, veggie, stocks, soups and desserts, so it is all stuff you should know as you are making them at work anyway. They don't ask for measurements of recipes etc, its more about the methods that you use. I spent way to long memorising exact quantities of ingredients for cakes and bread etc.

At the end of the interview, they don't tell you the result, but the assessor called me "chef" and said "maybe we'll cross paths in Australia one day" so that was a bit of a clue.

7. The successful result came about two weeks later.

I'm using a MARA registered migration agent, and with the first part he was a great help in checking all my evidence so that I was sure it would be enough. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend using one as it would have been much more stressful without his guidance. The guy I use doesn't post on this forum but there are some agents with good reputations who do, such as Richard Gregan who posted above.

The book that I used is called Professional Chef Level 2 (2nd edition) by Gary Hunter and Terry Tinton. It is expensive but it literally covers each unit of competency almost word for word so everything you need to know will be in there. It's good to make sure your knowledge is fresh on things you haven't done for a while.

That's pretty much all I can remember about the skills assessment. All I can say is, you can't send too much evidence so spend time making sure you submit as much as possible and spend as much time as you can thinking about everything you've done in your career and research everything you're not sure about. I could have passed the interview with much less preparation, but it's good to go in feeling as confident as you can

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 30/10/2018 at 22:25, Anjuka said:

hi ,Gazobrien...  I have booked the Assessment with  Vetassess  for Pastry Cook. As per your knowledge is there any practical test along with the Technical interview? And what kind of questions they ask?

Hi Anjuka.

I am waiting for my technical interview as a pastry cook. Could you please share your technical interview experience to me. What are the questions they asked to you?

On 13/03/2019 at 05:52, PoojaK said:

Hi Anjuka, congrats on clearing the 1st step. What questions did they ask you during pastry cook technical assessment interview??? I have it in a few days

Hi pooja.

How was your pastry cook technical interview???

Could you please share your technical interview experience to me. What are the questions they asked to you ? Because  i am waiting for  my technical interview. Please help me. 

• 1 month later...