Wee bit of advice needed

Scottish mum

Hi there looking for a bit of advice. Myself, partner and 3 kids (16, 4 and 3) are hoping to make the move to Australia. We have been looking at the 189 visa (Oh is a bricklayer) and have been gathering all the info to cross match references with bank statements to prove he's worked 8 of the past 10 years (self employed). I started to realise that with the recession a few years ago and my oh having to stop work as a bricklayer and get employment elsewhere, I'm going to struggle with the 8 years proof. Our agent the suggested the 489 sponsored visa (I have family in Perth who have said they'll sponsor us), I know after 2 years living somewhere regional and 1 year working you can apply for permanent residency. But is a temporary visa really a responsible thing to go over with when you have a young family? I've always been the driving force of us going out to Australia, but the 489 visa has put alot of doubt in my head. We own our own home in Scotland, but would have to sell if we go to Australia. On the 189 visa that didn't bother me at all, but it worries me that we could sell our home here and then not get PR after living there 2 years.

Any advice greatly appreciated [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

7 minutes ago, Scottish mum said:

Hi there looking for a bit of advice. Myself, partner and 3 kids (16, 4 and 3) are hoping to make the move to Australia. We have been looking at the 189 visa (Oh is a bricklayer) and have been gathering all the info to cross match references with bank statements to prove he's worked 8 of the past 10 years (self employed). I started to realise that with the recession a few years ago and my oh having to stop work as a bricklayer and get employment elsewhere, I'm going to struggle with the 8 years proof. Our agent the suggested the 489 sponsored visa (I have family in Perth who have said they'll sponsor us), I know after 2 years living somewhere regional and 1 year working you can apply for permanent residency. But is a temporary visa really a responsible thing to go over with when you have a young family? I've always been the driving force of us going out to Australia, but the 489 visa has put alot of doubt in my head. We own our own home in Scotland, but would have to sell if we go to Australia. On the 189 visa that didn't bother me at all, but it worries me that we could sell our home here and then not get PR after living there 2 years.

Any advice greatly appreciated emoji4.png

Hello there, what is the 'points breakdown' for the applicant? 

B

The 489 isn't a temporary visa, it is a provisional visa and there is a big difference. A 489 can be automatically converted to a permanent visa on completion of meeting the conditions of living in a regional area for two years and working in one for one year. 

Though wether Perth is the right choice given its current economy is another and I would also say it is vital all of the family are 100% for the move or don't do it. 

• Like 1

Thank you for that verystormy the 489 was only suggested to us yesterday and I've obviously not read into it properly as I took it as temporary! We are all 100% we have spoken about it on and off for years but as we'd never been to Perth before (both been to melbourne) we wanted to go over and see what it was like for ourselves. We arrived back home 2 weeks ago from a 4 week holiday in Perth (Baldivis/Port Kennedy) and are sure it's where we want to be. One of my family members is in management within a mining company and has told my oh he would do everything he could to get him started in the mines as we're aware he would probably struggle with getting work as a bricklayer the way things ate there just now! Obviously there's no guarantee with the mining job, but my worry was thinking the 489 was only temporary and there was a possibility we wouldn't get PR and have to come home with nothing.

I would take an ability to get into mining with a fairly large pinch of salt. There are thousands of unemployed experienced miners out there at the moment. 

I myself am a miner with a fair bit of experience and a mass of contacts in WA who returned to the UK last year due to not being able to get a job after eight years in mining in WA. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't be selling your home in the UK until you decide/or can go for PR. Supposing you end up returning to UK, could you afford to start again from scratch?

WA is very up and down for employment, and I'd be wanting guarantees on work rather than just someone saying they'll do all they can. A family of 5 will need to live in the meantime so you'd need to have enough to cover a rental bond and a few months rent, living expenses including running at least one car, childcare is expensive in Australia and there would be school or college fees for your eldest unless they will be working. 

Lots of things to consider before taking the plunge. We got through $12,000 just on buying a 2nd hand car (nothing fancy), school fees, rental bond, first months rent, groceries, etc very quickly. And that was on top of £17,000 to get here (visa fees, shipping container, flights, medicals, etc). 

Just make sure the figures add up. 

And good luck! Its one helluva an adventure!!! 

Edited by Beffers