Insuring removals

Fisher1

Hi all

We have chosen a removal firm and are now wondering what to do about insurance. I seem to remember reading on this forum that its not a good idea to insure through your removal firm who may bump up the charges, better to insure separately.

I have been quoted £288 by my removers and much less by an insurance company for the insurance of a part load. However, on reading all the information from my removers today, I feel quite intimidated by all the paperwork.

Can anyone offer advice on making a choice?

Thanks in advance

Having been on the forums a while every time someone has damage and has to claim from insurance through the removal company they have had a nightmare with the claim whereas everyone that has insured through Letton Percival or Insure you Move has found the process easy.  You will have to list what you are insuring if you go through a seperate company (not sure if the removal company does this for you) but it's not that hard to do really.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NicF said:

Having been on the forums a while every time someone has damage and has to claim from insurance through the removal company they have had a nightmare with the claim whereas everyone that has insured through Letton Percival or Insure you Move has found the process easy.  You will have to list what you are insuring if you go through a seperate company (not sure if the removal company does this for you) but it's not that hard to do really.

Thank you. I had a quote from Letton Percival based on approximate value of the load and it was half what my removal firm were asking. I thought maybe that meant the removal firm would provide a better service, but from what you are saying this isn't necessarily the case. My removal firm has sent me a form to sign - in case of insuring elsewhere- to say that I understand the implications of not insuring through them. I assumed they were trying to frighten people into insuring through them ... Problem is it is having just that effect on me ... 

Read some of the stories of people trying to make a claim from their shippers and those that insured with an independent like LP and hopefully your faith in LP will be restored. I know mine would be (having read so many horror stories of people trying to make claims from their shippers and the shippers insurance being really difficult). 

Honestly, having read peoples experiences over the years I'd say you have far less cause for concern using LP than you would your shipping companies insurance. 

The letter is standard to cover both parties I'd expect. I'd not fret about it.

1 hour ago, snifter said:

Read some of the stories of people trying to make a claim from their shippers and those that insured with an independent like LP and hopefully your faith in LP will be restored. I know mine would be (having read so many horror stories of people trying to make claims from their shippers and the shippers insurance being really difficult). 

Honestly, having read peoples experiences over the years I'd say you have far less cause for concern using LP than you would your shipping companies insurance. 

The letter is standard to cover both parties I'd expect. I'd not fret about it.

Thanks a lot for that, it's great to get feedback. I think I'll go with LP

Guest alifaz

If it's any help I'm going with LP rather than shippers insurance. Shippers charge minimum of 3% of value whereas LP are 1.3%....less than half..!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

4 hours ago, alifaz said:

If it's any help I'm going with LP rather than shippers insurance. Shippers charge minimum of 3% of value whereas LP are 1.3%....less than half..!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Thanks alias. I had a quote from LP this morning that was exactly half the quote of the removers, so we're going to go with them. More paperwork coming up I think :-) 

Just now, Fisher1 said:

Thanks alias. I had a quote from LP this morning that was exactly half the quote of the removers, so we're going to go with them. More paperwork coming up I think :-) 

Sorry Alifaz - predictive texting strikes again.

Hi again everyone. Hoping someone can advise me.  I've contacted my removers to tell them we intend insuring with Letton Percival and they have asked me to sign this form and return it to them.

Maybe I'm just stressed but it seems as though I'm waiving any right to expect any comeback on the removers, no matter what they do. What does anyone else make of it?

"we refer to your international household removal to NSW. We understand that you have decided not to take advantage of he Shipment protection cover specifically designed for our clients.

Our shipment protection is in our opinion the best value cove available on the market and ha been specifically negotiated by us based on over thirty years experience with marine transportation, as stated on your valuation form with *** cover not only do you not incur the additional charge of IPT tax and you are not subject to a excess payment. (Only a nominal contribution fee applies to claims as stated)

we are aware that there are cheap covers available vie the Internet with high excess payment and that these can sometimes look attractive. However we believe that some of these may not offer the same level of cover.

*** use professional export wrapping materials on all international removals and arrange secure world wide transportation via recognise carriers, in the event that you should need to make a claim for loss or damage, regretfully we will not be able to assist you.

this document has evolved because of the experiences of others who have declined the recommended cover I favour of a cheaper alternative. We regretfully need to get this for signed to demonstrate that you fully understand the implications of refusing the recommended cover and understand that *** are only liable under limited liability as specified in the terms and conditions of the contract you have undertaken with us.

our shipment protection cover is backed by insurance arranged with *** corporate solutions assurance and is based on the conditions recommended by the British Association of Removers to cover every aspect of your removal from the moment we commence packing in your UK home to the completed delivery at your new destination. By refusing our cover it is your responsibility to ensure that your cover includes all aspects of a door to door removal.

Please sign the following statement and return the original letter to us.

.I confirm that I have declined the shipment protection to cover the handling, packing, removal, loading, transport shipment, unloading and delivery of my household and personal effects from myhomein the UK to my new home overseas. 

I understand that I cannot hold *** removals and/or its agents responsible for any delay, damage, loss or anything else resulting from the full door to door removal and shipment of my household effects. I accept that all business transacted is subject to the standard trading conditions as printed on my removal acceptance form and I accept that *** removals are only liable under limited liability conditions,"

Thanks for reading this far (if you have) but I'm really worried about signing this so all opinions welcome!

Edited by Fisher1

Guest The Pom Queen

I think that's fine. I know when Crown damaged a large number of our items they didn't care one bit but we dealt direct with the third party and had no problems.

As i said, I think that's their pretty standard disclaimer to cover themselves. If you have a 3rd party insurance you wouldn't deal with the shippers anyways. It would go via your insurer. 

There are many threads on this forum re claims via shipping company being a nightmare, slow and fighting to get a decent payout. I've yet to read one where LP were anything other than professional and prompt. 

Who are you shipping with? Why not ask LP if that letter is a normal protocol shippers take and see if they can put your mind at rest. Tbh I'd only ever use an independent insurance to ship. Never a shipping companies own. 

7 hours ago, snifter said:

As i said, I think that's their pretty standard disclaimer to cover themselves. If you have a 3rd party insurance you wouldn't deal with the shippers anyways. It would go via your insurer. 

There are many threads on this forum re claims via shipping company being a nightmare, slow and fighting to get a decent payout. I've yet to read one where LP were anything other than professional and prompt. 

Who are you shipping with? Why not ask LP if that letter is a normal protocol shippers take and see if they can put your mind at rest. Tbh I'd only ever use an independent insurance to ship. Never a shipping companies own. 

Thanks Snifter.

i dont normally worry about stuff like this but I thought that letter was quite intimidating. My husband has just reminded me that we aren't taking all that much and that - while it would be inconvenient and expensive - it wouldn't be the end of the world if it all ended up at the bottom of the sea. So we're going with LP.  

This is what I love about this site ... It's like having a bunch of knowledgable mates next door and being able to nip round for a bit of advice. brilliant.