Ticket is bought!

Mhags

Hi, I thought I'd write here and say in a big , out loud voice that I've just booked my ticket and it's one way! 

Weve been in Melbourne for almost 7 years ( arriving on ironically the same date I'm leaving!) , my husband ( who some may remember as a prolific poms in Oz poster Suzuki Scottie) died in March and has left a huge Scott shaped gap in all our lives. 

A few things recently all just kind of fell in to place and a big decision to return made but it feels a very positive decision. I own my house back home, which had been up for sale but tenants seem to have left it in a mess and no one wanted to buy it. So it's off the market and I will give it some TLC. Our landlords here have decided not to renew the lease in October and want to move in themselves. I just have a part time job ( following Scott's death) and even working full time I would never ever be on the same level of earning capacity he had here. 

We live in a house here with about twice the floor space as back home so have a lot of downsizing to do in next 2 months. Have started selling on FB and we are planning our first ever garage sale! My aim is notbtontake crap back ...we were going through bides at the weekend that have been in the garage for almost 7 years! 

We are taking our doggy home and I'm a bit anxious about that but realise I probably over-humanise him and he is just a dog! 

The dog and I will travel home first and kids will follow just over a month later as they have exams / studies to finish. This will be hard but they are all young adults and seasoned travellers and it means I can go and get a home ready for them. 2 will stay in Scotland and 1 coming back to finish Uni. 

So my flight is booked and the dog's deposit paid and will get his flight booked by end of week. I need to get shippers in for quotes at start of next week and get that sorted out. It just all feels very right and we are looking forward to seeing ( most) family and good friends who have found it hard not being able to support us on a practical level when Scott was ill for 5 years and then we he died. 

I know it's not going to be necessarily an easy transition but I'm looking forward to a cold Christmas, no nasty spiders lurking, no fear of snakes ( though to be fair I've never encountered one yet) , time with friends , cheap bananas , rolls and sliced sausage and Marks and Spencer's everything! 

• Like 17

Very best wishes to you and your family Mhags! :)

I was just thinking the other day about a post of Scott's when he thought of moving to Tasmania.  Scotland would be the only place I'd think of moving back to if it came to the crunch.

• Like 1

Tasmania was where I had intended to move to but I was there a few weeks ago and it just did not seem the right move at this time. I did much soul searching whilst looking out to sea. Scott and I had went in January for this purpose but it's not for now. 

I'm calling this my 'gap year' and will see where life takes me at the end of that year. It may very well be a permanent move back but who knows? We all have citizenship so can go between the two.

wherever I go is without Scott so that's hard but at least at home there is familiarity, friends and a house that's been paid for!  

• Like 1

So one week on ... Discovering the delights ( not) of Facebook selling! NIL! NIL! Waaaaaah! But as someone picked up my butchers block she remarked she liked the plants on the back door steps...sold for $30! 

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what a 20' container will likely cost? All our expenses were paid by Scott's company when we moved here and they were very generous! Now it's my purse that's paying! 

Anyone recommend particular Shippers? We used Britannia leaving UK who are Chess Wilson out here, I don't want to feel ripped off but if I had a rough idea beforehand might numb the shock! 

We have so much 'stuff' and I'm determined I'm not taking any crap back and trying hard not to be over emotional about things.

have managed to chuck out my 40th birthday cards (8 years ago) and last year's Christmas cards...wondering why I'd ever kept them.

onwards...10 weeks and counting down! 

@Mhags I got quotes from Crown, Chess and Pickfords. Crown was 25% more expensive than the other 2. I went for a shared 20 ft container which is half the cost but takes longer. It cost $3500 and I fitted the contents of a 1 to 2 bed house in that.  Insurance is extra. Stuff arrives in 2 weeks and will have to go into storage as I am staying with family whilst I buy somewhere, a tediously slow process, you get used to not having stuff after a while.

Use Gumtree or EBAY for selling stuff you will get more responses.

We had some success using Gumtree to sell things. Sold the car on there and a couple of other bits. The best results we had was from the old fashioned way - a poster in IGA. I sold probably half of it from that and then a lot from putting an advert on Perth Poms - a lot of members got some serious bargains!

Had a garage sale for a lot of the little stuff which went really well, though it was a bit mad as I was still selling stuff an hour before I was off to the airport.

On 08/08/2017 at 07:22, Mhags said:

So one week on ... Discovering the delights ( not) of Facebook selling! NIL! NIL! Waaaaaah! But as someone picked up my butchers block she remarked she liked the plants on the back door steps...sold for $30! 

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what a 20' container will likely cost? All our expenses were paid by Scott's company when we moved here and they were very generous! Now it's my purse that's paying! 

Anyone recommend particular Shippers? We used Britannia leaving UK who are Chess Wilson out here, I don't want to feel ripped off but if I had a rough idea beforehand might numb the shock! 

We have so much 'stuff' and I'm determined I'm not taking any crap back and trying hard not to be over emotional about things.

have managed to chuck out my 40th birthday cards (8 years ago) and last year's Christmas cards...wondering why I'd ever kept them.

We used Chess who in turn used Britannia at this end. 20 ft container cost us just under $8k including a motorbike crate. They originally quoted us a bit more but I did a bit of haggling! Very happy with them. Used Letton Percival for insurance.

Good luck for the move and our condolences on your sad loss.?

From reading your story, this sure seems the right thing to do and at the end of the day, you have to do what is right for you and your family. We wish you all the very best with the move and are you are moving back to family and friends, we are confident it will be the right one. However, if in a few years you feel different, like you say you all have the passports so you can come and go as you want. Then you would officially join the “Ping-Pong Poms” group.

Scotland does seem to be getting more and more popular these days. Have read a few posts on here where people are returning back to the UK and have decided to go to Scotland. Sure know what you mean about a cold Christmas though. We have spent only one Christmas here in 6 years and have our flights booked back in December, to spend Christmas in the UK. Sitting at the table sweating is not Christmas for us. The one thing that we are looking forward to being able to get (when we want) is proper sausages and sausage rolls. Dare we say it, when we are back we always go and get some from Greggs. Strange what you crave when you cannot get it.

Know exactly what you mean about sorting things out and not taking back anything that is no longer needed. When we came out here it was a mad last minute rush, as Phil had a job offre out of the blue. So we did not have chance to sort much out and we brought everything. As a result we have boxes in our garage with items in them that we have not used since we have been out here. For sure we will be having a big clean out. One thing we have said before is that we will ‘help’ the packers with their job. What we mean by that is grouping things together and helping more things go in the boxes. When the guys were packing in the UK we saw them just placing things in the boxes without a care for space saving. One example was a box contained 15 wooden coat hangers that had just been thrown in. If they were cable ties in groups of 5 we could of got more in the boxes. Eventually cutting down on the amount of boxes we shipped. We will be a bit smarter and hopefully not so rushed this time around.

When we came over we used Pickford’s. They were ok but they did scratch the front of the car we brought over. We have heard a few times on there that Chess are a good company and quite reasonable with their prices.

We have our house in the UK that is being rented out. Last year we took our son back to start high school. This worked out well as our tenants had just moved out and it needed a bit of work before the new tenants moved in. With nothing being in the house, it was easy to do the work it needed and to give it a bit of tlc. When you move back you will not have your things yet, so you can move around the house freely and do the work needed. You will be surprised at how fast you can make an impact when there are not things there to get in your way.

Hope that the move goes well and at the end of the day now that the flights are booked you have a light at the end of the tunnel, something to look forward to and work towards. We are planning on moving back late next year, but will be keeping our place here and renting it out. Before then we need to get some jobs done around the place and things with strata do not move fast so we may have to delay our plans. At least you have not got that worry :-)

Edited by Phil & Vikki
  • Like 1

Hi,

I remember Suzuki Scottie, so sorry to hear of your loss.
Don't get me started on the joys of Facebook and Gumtree selling in Oz.... We were also shifting stuff before the move back and the amount of time wasters is flabbergasting. Even when you're giving stuff away people just don't turn up and can't be bothered to let you know. We had one guy really interested in the car, he asked loads of questions, made arrangements to come see it and then..... Nothing. DW sent him a polite message ta ask if he was still interested and instead of replying or even making up some BS, he just blocked her!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi, well it's the night before I leave to head back to Scotland. 

So much organisation,. So much downsizing , so many farewell meals and catch ups and not once have I thought what the hell are you doing Mhags? It's still feel very right and I do think I've made the right decision...which is just as well really. 

Our dog boy has started his journey and I've just had an email and a photo from Jetpets as to what he's done today. 

Him and I are the advance party and the kids follow in 6 weeks after exams are over. 

Our house has been getting decorated by a crack team of friends and I had an email from shippers to day my container will arrive in Uk next week so that's all worked out quite well and I won't have to camp in the house for too long and can look forward to making it our home again. I no doubt will have brought too much back even after carefully whittling lists down! 

Looking forward  to catching up with friends and family but will ask them to give me and dog a few days space. I'm making my big announcement tomorrow , lots of people don't know...only those that need to know know! 

So au revoir Australia , you've been amazing . I love you but need to go and be Scottish for a while. 

See you on the other side! 

• Like 5

Best of luck Mhags,  and safe travels!  We moved to Scotland seven weeks ago, and so far, so good!  Our container arrives next week too (I wonder if they're on the same ship?), we've been camping out sleeping on mattresses on the floor, so it'll be nice to have our things.  We brought our cats back with us, and they've taken to it like ducks to water!  Lots of radiators to sleep next to! 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Well I've been back for almost 5 weeks now and settled in, still in a bit of a guddle with boxes ( as in another 50 in the garage to be dealt with!) but most rooms look identifiable as to what they are supposed to be. 

Weather: whilst not a lover of the heat and my kids ( home in 2 weeks) have been moaning about the heat in Melbourne , the wet has taken a bit of getting used to again. First 5 days it just rained solidly.  But there have been a few bright though cold days. Have discovered the joy of putting your heel through an iced up puddle again! I live on the wet and windy west coast and grew up with wind and rain but I think I'd forgotten ! 

Dog: he settled after a few days. Was passing fresh blood in his poo when I picked him up at airport. This was rather alarming but settled within 24 hours. Then he had a bug about 14 days in and had to go to vets. I have never been so obsessed by dog poo in my life! He was distressed when I picked him up but after a couple of days was fine. He loves all the new smells and places to walk. Not used to as many dogs as there are here so that's been a challenge for him. Had his routine annual inoculations at vets last week. We lived on a big corner plot with a huge fenced in garden so it's been a challenge with our open front garden ( no fences allowed in this estate) and the blooming postie cuts across my front grass , literally right in front of window which is alarming for me never mind the dog! 

Food: after eating my own body weight in all the things I couldn't get in Australia for first week or so! Loving M&S but missing the village feel of independent shops in our wee town back in Oz. Where I went to the bakers for a loaf of bread or the green grocers for bananas. My local shop is tesco! I think prices here are not as cheap as I remember them to be which shocked me as have thought of Australia as being very expensive. 

Friends & Family: it's been lovely reconnecting with them. Most people just pop in which is nice. It's been nice having friends over for tea. It's been a bit overwhelming though as everyone wants to say they are sorry about Scott dying and I've found that hard , as I did that all about 7-8 months ago and also people who I meet randomly , like today in tesco at till , oh what made you come back here? Well, my husband died ...it's a conversation stopper for sure! Then I have to do the whole 'it's okay, you didn't know' thing. But to not say it isn't  right for me either. 

Leaving kids for weeks: they just winge on the phone about each other ...it's as if I'm still there! As long as I can speak to at least one of them every day I'm okay. Eldest fell whilst rock climbing and split his chin and had to go to hospital, middle had a recurring infection and needed antibiotics and youngest has had a terrible time with tonsillitis and needed to go to ED and had IV antibiotics and fluids. But good friends kept an eye on things. No one has starved yet. I will be glad to have them here though. I like being a hands on mum.

House: our tenants had left it a mess and I have a huge snagging list to work my way through. However I have concentrated on getting kids rooms painted and ready for them. We've went from slime green, dark brown and rancid red to white. Just white! Have started on main bathroom now , glutton for punishment! Much needs to be done in the garden but all I've done is plant my spring bulbs and move my garden furniture removers just plonked down in garden. 

Removals: I used Chess Wilson in Melbourne and Britannia at this end. The service was okay. Late arriving here by almost 2 hours. Container was outside and all I wanted was my stuff! Guys turned up and whilst full of funny Glaswegian banter were not apologetic! Everything has been wrapped in 5 sheets of poster sized paper , great to unwrap and find a balloon and a straw! Such a pain to recycle. 

I miss my big blue sky but not the heat. I miss my loud noisy birds but enjoy the gentle tweets of birds here and my wee garden robin. I miss my trees though have found a eucalyptus tree on my dog walk. I miss the bright spring flowers that I left but caught the tail end of Autumn colours here and have planted bulbs for Spring here. 

Is there anyone I'm supposed to contact officially to say I'm back? I'm back on electoral roll, have paid council tax, had a ToR number that said when I was re-entering the country, came back in on my British passport. Anyone else? 

So far, so good! 

• Like 7