Heading to Oz before grant?

Australia123go

This is just out of interest really..... 

My tourist visa is valid until until February 2018.... my application went in Middle of June and I know that most are taking quite some time until they are granted.. I know I can't work but could I go in the hope that my grant will come through within the 8 months it suggests and hope it arrives earlier?  Has anyone done this at all and it's worked out Ok?  My application has been completed by a MA and he doesn't foresee any issues it's just how long!!! 

Any positive stories would be appreciated:-) 

Edited by Australia123go

You would have to leave the country at the time of visa grant, and how long can you stay for our your visa e.g. is it up to 3 months?

May be better continuing to work and save for the ultimate move - rather than using your savings as living expenses, rent and a flight out of Aus and back in order to get the grant.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
This is just out of interest really..... 
My tourist visa is valid until until February 2018.... my application went in Middle of June and I know that most are taking quite some time until they are granted.. I know I can't work but could I go in the hope that my grant will come through within the 8 months it suggests and hope it arrives earlier?  Has anyone done this at all and it's worked out Ok?  My application has been completed by a MA and he doesn't foresee any issues it's just how long!!! 
Any positive stories would be appreciated:-) 

I am doing the same, we have a daughter so want to be together asap. Lodged visa 21st July and heading out in two weeks on a tourist visa to wait it out there, trips to Bali or NX every three months!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

25 minutes ago, KLeanne said:

I am doing the same, we have a daughter so want to be together asap. Lodged visa 21st July and heading out in two weeks on a tourist visa to wait it out there, trips to Bali or NX every three months!

That's a tad risky - see the very elderly lady from Scotland who got deported recently! There is never a guarantee that a visa will be allocated and it only takes an overzealous border guard to look at your use of a tourist visa and there's no telling what they could do. Could your OH not be with you in UK while you wait?

That's a tad risky - see the very elderly lady from Scotland who got deported recently! There is never a guarantee that a visa will be allocated and it only takes an overzealous border guard to look at your use of a tourist visa and there's no telling what they could do. Could your OH not be with you in UK while you wait?

I contacted AU immigration a while ago, before I applied for my Partner Visa and my tourist visa, and this was the advice I was given by them. They actually said it's completely fine and quite common, as long as you leave the country every three months, and it certainly beats going onshore on a tourist visa to apply, which is risky. I will not have all my worldly belongings with me, so I was advised no issues.

6 hours ago, KLeanne said:

I contacted AU immigration a while ago, before I applied for my Partner Visa and my tourist visa, and this was the advice I was given by them. They actually said it's completely fine and quite common, as long as you leave the country every three months, and it certainly beats going onshore on a tourist visa to apply, which is risky. I will not have all my worldly belongings with me, so I was advised no issues.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection state on their website "If you want advice, don't ask us, ask a migration agent"  and the experience of many people is that the staff in the DIBP call centres give out notoriously bad and incorrect advice.  Said advice, is also non-binding and useless if a border guard decides you are not a genuine visitor.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KLeanne said:

Never ever take advice from the department. The forum is littered with people who have and are now in serious difficulty and they have a legal indemnity to give protection for bad advice. When you speak to them, they are just call centre staff with little or no training. If you want advice - and you do need it - speak to a migration agent. 

• Like 2

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection state on their website "If you want advice, don't ask us, ask a migration agent"  and the experience of many people is that the staff in the DIBP call centres give out notoriously bad and incorrect advice.  Said advice, is also non-binding and useless if a border guard decides you are not a genuine visitor.

Thank you, yes I also did speak to to MAs and they also said it was fine. Many on here have also advised and done the same.

Never ever take advice from the department. The forum is littered with people who have and are now in serious difficulty and they have a legal indemnity to give protection for bad advice. When you speak to them, they are just call centre staff with little or no training. If you want advice - and you do need it - speak to a migration agent. 

Thank you, yes I did speak to two different MAs also and they told me it was fine too.

Thank you, yes I did speak to two different MAs also and they told me it was fine too.

I don't feel that I need advice on this as stated, as I am just simply going to Aus with my tourist Visa to spend time with family over there and so that my daughter can see her grandparents aunties uncles etc. so I really don't see what the problem is with that, many people do it.

13 minutes ago, KLeanne said:

I don't feel that I need advice on this as stated, as I am just simply going to Aus with my tourist Visa to spend time with family over there and so that my daughter can see her grandparents aunties uncles etc. so I really don't see what the problem is with that, many people do it.

Yes, many people do it and usually there is no problem. However, you need to be aware that if the Immigration Officer on re-entry believes that you are trying to live here on a tourist visa, rather than just visiting, they cam and will deny you entry. 

Also it is quite true that the immigration helplines are not versed in the rules, they only know the basics and cannot be held accountable for any information they give you. A registered agent on the other hand is trained in migration law and can bive you all the gen. 

It is unlikely you will be refused entry, especially if you are from a low risk country like the UK but it is possible. And these points have to be made on forums so that everyone is aware of them. 

• Like 2

Yes, many people do it and usually there is no problem. However, you need to be aware that if the Immigration Officer on re-entry believes that you are trying to live here on a tourist visa, rather than just visiting, they cam and will deny you entry. 
Also it is quite true that the immigration helplines are not versed in the rules, they only know the basics and cannot be held accountable for any information they give you. A registered agent on the other hand is trained in migration law and can bive you all the gen. 
It is unlikely you will be refused entry, especially if you are from a low risk country like the UK but it is possible. And these points have to be made on forums so that everyone is aware of them. 

Yes thanks I see your point, but we are simply going to be together for a few months as a family, and for littlen to see other family as it's been a year since, and we plan to travel Aus to see more extended family and also have trips booked to Bali an NZ, so I don't see how they could have an issue with it, it's very genuine. I did speak to a MA who said that it's fine, so hopefully should be.

Just to add water to this, I went to Oz on my tourist visa after submitting my application and it was fine. I told my MA so he could notify Immigration if needed. Not sure if they even request that but it doesn't hurt. If you have a CO you can always email and tell them.

Thank you very encouraging, and just what I thought. Yes AU house told me to just notify them before I leave on my tourist visa and I shouldn't encounter any problems. Also MA I spoke to for advice at the time said the same!

• Like 1

Just to add water to this, I went to Oz on my tourist visa after submitting my application and it was fine. I told my MA so he could notify Immigration if needed. Not sure if they even request that but it doesn't hurt. If you have a CO you can always email and tell them.

Just out of interest, Did you leave and re enter Aus every three months then?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, KLeanne said:

Just out of interest, Did you leave and re enter Aus every three months then?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I think they just went for a holiday and are now back in the UK wrapping up to leave again now visa is granted. I think also they had applied for a PMV. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, welder85 said:

Just out of interest...What are the risks of going on a tourist visa and then applying? I have been told by an MA that you would be given a bridging visa until you are either granted/denied??

Is this for a partner visa? If so then yes. And risk is of they suspect you are not genuine in your visit, you could be denied entry. 

Be aware on shore applications are running at around the 15 month mark. Which is a long time to be on a bridging visa. Many employers don't understand bridging visas and finding or securing longer term work can prove problematic. It's not ideal if you have time on your side and know in advance you want to apply. 

If able, IMHO, offshore is a much better bet in terms of processing time and then being able to head to Aus with the visa already granted. 

11 minutes ago, welder85 said:

Strange...a friend of mine was on a bridging visa for partner and COULDN'T work.

The rules were changed a few years ago so that anyone applying onshore for a 820/801, from another substantive visa, gets a Bridgng Visa A with full work rights. ts the only visa that gets those rights.

Any others -including a 189 - have to prove significant hardship if bridging from a tourist visa..

Maybe your friend was applying for a different visa or was on a different bridging visa? I saw  athread recently where someone was getting a 461 on the basis of partnership and assumed that was a partner visa, its not. Also depends how long ago.