Sign in to follow this  
Bound4Tassie

So how much do you think you spent shipping your dog over?

Bound4Tassie    686

Just wondering how much it's changed over the years and how much different types/sizes cost ship?

So all up including rabies vacc, all permits, kennelling, shipping fees, quaratine, onward domestc travel etc how much?

What type of dog? What year?

• Like 1

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Patphillips47    330

We shipped our Shar Pei in 2016

It cost us £2105 GBP for his flight ,picking him up from up North and kennels for a few days

£175 GBP for rabies blood test

£163 GBP for blood tests ( that was the test the vets lost lol )

Around £400 GBP for vaccinations Rabies etc. worming and defleaing (not that he had any)

Quarantine was $1461 AUD

Import permit was $485 AUD

flying him to Adelaide from quarantine $260 AUD

All in all not a cheap exercise but !

• Like 1

OZnewbie    10

I just brought my dog over , 12 year old small lab, cost in total gbp 5,500 including all vet bills, quarantine, transport to Melbourne and then from Melbourne to Sydney.

Sent from my SM-G928F using PomsinOz mobile app

• Like 1

Hi,

I got numerous quotes from Pet Removal companies and found their quotes to be nothing short of exploitation. I understand that you would want your precious fur babies to be in the best hands possible but the mark up from the pet removal companies averages around £1,200.

I spoke with one removal company and asked them about what their actual process is and what they do and they mentioned that they use Emirates Skycargo. So I contacted Emirates Skycargo directly (who are great btw) and they quoted me roughly £500 for the flight based on weight (from Manchester to Melbourne) and this will be no different to the flight your pet would be on if using a pet transport company and a further £100 for export fees at the airport and another £100 roughly for handling fees at Dubai airport.

I asked Emirates Skycargo why people use pet transport companies instead of doing it themselves and it comes down to the fact that you would have to take your pet to the airport 5 hours before take off to fill out the exportation docs and go through the necessary checks and apparently that is not convenient for people so they pay a £1.2k premium to not do that. He also mentioned that sometimes the crate needs to be sealed by a vet when going to certain countries so that is where the pet transport companies can be handy.

Breakdown of fees for my 1 year old Cockerpoo

So her flight, export fee, handling fee at Dubai Airport and crate together will be roughly £800

Her Pet Passport and Rabies Blood Tests - £215 so far

£1000 for the quarantine fees

£280 for the import fee

$424 to transport her from Mickleham to Newcastle Airport

I estimate further vets fees to be roughly £200 for the next round of blood tests and final tick and flea treatments that need to be signed off by a vet.

TBH if you cant be arsed sorting everything out yourself use a pet transport company but check what they actually charge for because you may have a shock when you realise that they usually only cover the flight, crate and travel to and from the airports and a bit of hand holding.

I would do a lot of research before committing to a Pet Transport company and try to get the Rabies tests and Import cert sorted before anything else as it will help massively when it comes to booking the quarantine and subsequently the flights as Melbourne Airport wont confirm acceptance of your pet on the incoming flight unless they have confirmation that it is booked in at Mickleham in a confirmed and paid for booking.

Also, don't be pressured to get a wooden crate made. There are a lot of IATA approved crates out there and the only reason the pet transport companies make you use the ones they make is to increase their margin.

Hope this helps. There are a lot of companies that are making a huge profit from people in our situation who are emigrating and I think its always best to try to cut out the middle man if possible.

Lucy :)

Edited by Englishwifeinoz

ScottieGirl    858
10 minutes ago, Englishwifeinoz said:

TBH if you cant be arsed sorting everything out yourself use a pet transport company but check what they actually charge for because you may have a shock when you realise that they usually only cover the flight, crate and travel to and from the airports and a bit of hand holding

I have shipped my dogs both ways and when it comes to getting animals into Australia animal transport companies do a damn site more than hand holding IMO. The paperwork for each dog was 23 pages long, one minor error and they could be made to spend 6 months in quarantine which will cost you far more. You could not use any vet either as AQIS required extra certification,  use the wrong vet and they will reject the paperwork. This was a few years ago and the regs may have changed by now but that's  another reason for using an animal transport company as they should be up to date.

VERYSTORMY    2,426

We shipped the other way. Our dog from Perth to London was $3000, including rabies jab and vets fees and even the crate.

Very glad we did, as we could have had all sorts of issues. Literally hours before he was due to fly, we were notified the airline had put a total ban on animal flights. But, dogatiners sorted it out. We would otherwise have had to cancel my wifes flight and pay for another one and put her and the dog up in a hotel in Perth.

Then, when we landed in Heathrow, the people are the ARC were great, but VERY strict on the paperwork, to the extent there was a family waiting for a cat who were in tears after been told it was being refused entry because of a tiny mistake on the paperwork - the vets stamp was a couple of mm over the line of where it should have been. They were being asked for thousands up front in fees or the option of paying to fly it back or having it put to sleep. Not a good position to be in.

Then of course there are regulation changes that can and do happen mid process. We have seen this on the forum before which has caught people out.

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

I have shipped my dogs both ways and when it comes to getting animals into Australia animal transport companies do a damn site more than hand holding IMO. The paperwork for each dog was 23 pages long, one minor error and they could be made to spend 6 months in quarantine which will cost you far more. You could not use any vet either as AQIS required extra certification,  use the wrong vet and they will reject the paperwork. This was a few years ago and the regs may have changed by now but that's  another reason for using an animal transport company as they should be up to date.

Is this the export certification for the pet leaving the airport that you are referencing?

Because with the quarantine everything is done online and then the airline liaises on your behalf with Melbourne airport and Mickleham to arrange for your pet to be picked up according to the scheduled flight and the same with the handling at Dubai Airport. My experience is current as I have only just booked all of this myself without any issues and no 23 page documents - although the Export docs are roughly 5 pages long and not particularly arduous looking. Also, my vet is a government appointed vet luckily so that saved a lot of hassle too.

I genuinely did not find that the Pet Transport companies did anything that I couldn't do myself. I suppose not everyone can be as officious with paperwork as I may be or in the position to sort everything out at the airport themselves.

ScottieGirl    858

The documentation may well have been submitted online, I didn't  do it, I was provided with copies by the vet. The paper work going to the UK was considerably less than the other way.

You make a good point about being able to sort things out, I flew out before my dogs. There was an issue with the dogs flight, a delay on the first leg resulted in a change to the second flight, that I would not have been able to sort out, the transport company took care of it whilst I was in the air.

I paid $2200 per dog in April. That covered kennel fees, transport costs to the airport, flights, export documentation,  vet certification fee prior to flying, (separate to the export certification the dogs have to be cleared fit for travel 24 hrs prior) customs fees and the animal transport company fees. No quarantine fees as I was going to the UK. Vaccinations were extra and I already had the sky kennels from before. Who on earth uses wooden crates???

I know Jetpets got a huge discount on the kennel fees as I have used the same kennels. Looks like they got a good deal on the flights too.

Edited by ScottieGirl

2 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

The documentation may well have been submitted online, I didn't  do it, I was provided with copies by the vet. The paper work going to the UK was considerably less than the other way.

You make a good point about being able to sort things out, I flew out before my dogs. There was an issue with the dogs flight, a delay on the first leg resulted in a change to the second flight, that I would not have been able to sort out, the transport company took care of it whilst I was in the air.

I paid $2200 per dog in April. That covered kennel fees, transport costs to the airport, flights, export documentation,  vet certification fee prior to flying, (separate to the export certification the dogs have to be cleared fit for travel 24 hrs prior) customs fees and the animal transport company fees. No quarantine fees as I was going to the UK. Vaccinations were extra and I already had the sky kennels from before. Who on earth uses wooden crates???

I know Jetpets got a huge discount on the kennel fees as I have used the same kennels. Looks like they got a good deal on the flights too.

I know, I'm aghast as to who would even think of commissioning wooden crates to be built too! They cut them down to be minutely within the guidelines so your animal only just has room to move and they up their margin as the crate weighs less and takes up less space. 

I am using Jetpets in Australia because they actually quoted a decent price and it worked out cheaper than us driving down to Melbourne from Newcastle and back! Also they had been so recommended and I had seen them on a show about A380 Airbus in the UK and they seemed good with the updates they provided the owners when picking the animal up from quarantine. I just feel the English pet carriers have put their margins so high that I wouldn't trust them to provide a premium service in return. 

Taff    43

Ongoing:

2 x Jack Russell x Fox Terriers.

Bill so far;

Rabies shots $410

Shipping $4950 (deposit paid.)

Edited by Taff

Patphillips47    330
On 08/08/2017 at 23:14, ScottieGirl said:

I agree Scottie I am no sloth when it comes to paperwork but the paperwork for Oz plus requirements are quite formidable I printed everything off for my vet and thought i had every aspect covered as they were a UK government vet as required 

Luckily I shipped with a pet shipper who took our boy to their kennels prior to him being flown out We left a few days before him as we needed to back in Oz on a certain date 

We were in Singapore when my vet rang me to say they had just realised they had not got the last lot of blood results back - i had taken him a few days before he went away and the results were supposed to be emailed to me and the company shipping him

The company shipping him were brilliant -rang i think it is  Weybridge -the lab that does the tests to be told his samples had not been sent there ! They rushed him to their vets couriered his bloods to the lab and got him out as scheduled =phew !

Had i been the one doing it i would not have known where to start with the emergency tests etc consequences could have been we would probably have had to cancel our flights and reschedule too as things went so pear shaped 

• Like 1

Patphillips47    330
On 08/08/2017 at 22:46, Englishwifeinoz said:

Hi,

I got numerous quotes from Pet Removal companies and found their quotes to be nothing short of exploitation. I understand that you would want your precious fur babies to be in the best hands possible but the mark up from the pet removal companies averages around £1,200.

I spoke with one removal company and asked them about what their actual process is and what they do and they mentioned that they use Emirates Skycargo. So I contacted Emirates Skycargo directly (who are great btw) and they quoted me roughly £500 for the flight based on weight (from Manchester to Melbourne) and this will be no different to the flight your pet would be on if using a pet transport company and a further £100 for export fees at the airport and another £100 roughly for handling fees at Dubai airport.

I asked Emirates Skycargo why people use pet transport companies instead of doing it themselves and it comes down to the fact that you would have to take your pet to the airport 5 hours before take off to fill out the exportation docs and go through the necessary checks and apparently that is not convenient for people so they pay a £1.2k premium to not do that. He also mentioned that sometimes the crate needs to be sealed by a vet when going to certain countries so that is where the pet transport companies can be handy.

Breakdown of fees for my 1 year old Cockerpoo

So her flight, export fee, handling fee at Dubai Airport and crate together will be roughly £800

Her Pet Passport and Rabies Blood Tests - £215 so far

£1000 for the quarantine fees

£280 for the import fee

$424 to transport her from Mickleham to Newcastle Airport

I estimate further vets fees to be roughly £200 for the next round of blood tests and final tick and flea treatments that need to be signed off by a vet.

TBH if you cant be arsed sorting everything out yourself use a pet transport company but check what they actually charge for because you may have a shock when you realise that they usually only cover the flight, crate and travel to and from the airports and a bit of hand holding.

I would do a lot of research before committing to a Pet Transport company and try to get the Rabies tests and Import cert sorted before anything else as it will help massively when it comes to booking the quarantine and subsequently the flights as Melbourne Airport wont confirm acceptance of your pet on the incoming flight unless they have confirmation that it is booked in at Mickleham in a confirmed and paid for booking.

Also, don't be pressured to get a wooden crate made. There are a lot of IATA approved crates out there and the only reason the pet transport companies make you use the ones they make is to increase their margin.

Hope this helps. There are a lot of companies that are making a huge profit from people in our situation who are emigrating and I think its always best to try to cut out the middle man if possible.

Lucy :)

The company i used make their own wooden crates which I was more than happy about My Shar Pei has quite long claws and i felt a wooden floor would be better for him - plus because he is a Brachylyptic breed they made the crate a bit bigger for him Some airlines will only fly Brachylyptic dogs in their winter months I never felt pressured at all about the crate as it came with the price quoted Plus i felt the company I used genuinely cared for the pets they transport