Academic vs general IELTS

Hi guys, my partner's applied for a 189 with 60 points but is looking to get an extra 10 from attaining the full 20 from the IELTS.

So far she's had 3 attempts at the genereal and has just missed out on the 8 on reading and writing, so she was wondering if given how the academic will be more focused on her scientific knowledge (she's a biomedical engineer), she might end up doing better.

She's had her qualifications assessed and accredited and they body has stated she doesn't actually need the academic IELTS. Does this mean she can choose either of them, or has to do the general?

Many thanks for anyone who can shed some light.

Cheers.

Urgent help how? 

She has submitted and expression of interest for both the 189 and the 489 with 60 and 65 points respectively, 10 of thos epoints from her IELTS results. I mis-spoke when I said she has applied as that could suggest we have received an invitation to apply.

We still are waiting on on invitation to apply for both visas.

3 hours ago, Judge Dredd said:

Urgent help how? 

She has submitted and expression of interest for both the 189 and the 489 with 60 and 65 points respectively, 10 of thos epoints from her IELTS results. I mis-spoke when I said she has applied as that could suggest we have received an invitation to apply.

We still are waiting on on invitation to apply for both visas.

If she has submitted an EOI and claimed points for ILETS, then she needs to have already have completed ILETS. On submitting an EOI you must have all of the points being claimed already evidenced. If she hasn't and you apply on being invited then she runs a serious risk of refusal which would mean loss of the fee and a potential multi year ban on applying again.

34 minutes ago, Judge Dredd said:

She ha claimed points for IELTS which she has received. 

If she resits the IELTS and gets more points on it, can she not just update the EOI with those extra points and the IELTS reference?

Does it need to be a brand new EOI?

It would be worth checking with an agent, but I believe yes, she would need to do a new eoi

The Pearson PTE Academic exam is equally acceptable. I have a degree in Biotechnology and found that it did make the academic style test very straight forward as the presentation style is exactly what you'd expect from New Scientist articles for example. I got the full 20 points and it simply required a lot of practise with the exam format, with time management being key. From what I've heard of comparisons between PTE an IELTS, PTE seems to be a better bet for getting the superior english score as some people never attain that with IELTS.