Macleay Island Russell Island Why So Cheap?

Hi everyone I have a day home from work and I have been looking at properties and daydreaming. Came across Macleay & Island Russell Island in Brisbane and the Rentals are so so cheap and what a beautiful place. Sorry to be so pessimistic but whats wrong with them there must be at that price! :wideeyed:

I don't know about these islands but a lot of people do live on the Islands around Brisbane and I have been to Coochee Mudlow Island and I loved it.

People live on Stradbroke Island too. Of course they have to rely on the ferry to get them to the mainland and then have a car there in the car park to take them where they work or want to go, so some people would find this a disincentive to living on an island

Guest earlswood
Hi everyone I have a day home from work and I have been looking at properties and daydreaming. Came across Macleay & Island Russell Island in Brisbane and the Rentals are so so cheap and what a beautiful place. Sorry to be so pessimistic but whats wrong with them there must be at that price! :wideeyed:

Have you seen the film....Deliverance.:elvis:

• 2 years later...
Guest chris955

When we were looking at coming to Brisbane maybe 11 years ago now we looked at blocks of land on Macleays Island, this is not an exaggeration but back then we could have bought a largish building block for $5000 but the best thing was that if you bought one they gave you another for free, seriously.

Guest smeggie

True. Well if there is anyone who is interested I have a block of land for sale(600 sq mtr) on Russell Island. It has planning permission to build a three level house with views of the sea.

True. Well if there is anyone who is interested I have a block of land for sale(600 sq mtr) on Russell Island. It has planning permission to build a three level house with views of the sea.

Thanks so much for that but yes this post was a long time ago, Im pleased to say that we have now settled in Perth, thanks for the interest though :wubclub:

I may be interested if your still selling:yes: could you please give any more details, price location etc cheers

Guest smeggie
I may be interested if your still selling:yes: could you please give any more details, price location etc cheers

Yes the land is definitely still for sale. I have alot of information for you. Do you have an email address I can send you the information to? I am not sure if you can PM on this site? Cheers

• 1 year later...
Guest serapis

would be interested in buying land on russell island - currently I am thinking of 15.000 as this is the real price for some bush blocks .... agents who offer 22.000 pretty fast go down to 17000 ...even via email;

serapis

Guest smeggie
would be interested in buying land on russell island - currently I am thinking of 15.000 as this is the real price for some bush blocks .... agents who offer 22.000 pretty fast go down to 17000 ...even via email;

serapis

OK- Yes there are some blocks at $15,000 true but they most likely are flood prone OR surrounded by conservation blocks which are flood prone-this could be also the case of the $22,000 to $17,000 and they know that-You have to be careful-this is why some blocks are priced higher even though they are the same size-So thats the problem there-

With Coleus Street (my block)- this is DEFINITELY NOT a flood prone block or surrounded by conservation blocks(thus surrounding you with potential flooding AND CUTTING YOU OFF! ) plus there is new housing being built on Coleus street, itself. Plus I have planning permission to build a 3/4 bedroom house, a soil test has been done and all utilities are available including electricity-

I know you would like to get the lowest price but if you pay a little more for this block and have piece of mind, Coleus is a safer investment and not to simply take a real estates word for it.

and get back to me.

Regards

Gary

Guest serapis

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your post, it definitly helps me to make a decision ;-) yep this makes sense to me ... very often it seems the best deal is the one you dont do .... generally speaking I love the idea of living on an iland, and as I am self employed and work via laptop .... I dont have to drive to bris every day .... more likley I d be in surfers paradise ... having a surf sometimes, otherwise fishing, vegetable garden, swiming and my daily yoga session / mediation ..... I guess russell island would be ideal for this

I might wait a little bit - as I would build onliy in about 1 1/2 years .... currently living near melbourne .... or just buying an existing house instead of building ...

Guest smeggie
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your post, it definitly helps me to make a decision ;-) yep this makes sense to me ... very often it seems the best deal is the one you dont do .... generally speaking I love the idea of living on an iland, and as I am self employed and work via laptop .... I dont have to drive to bris every day .... more likley I d be in surfers paradise ... having a surf sometimes, otherwise fishing, vegetable garden, swiming and my daily yoga session / mediation ..... I guess russell island would be ideal for this

I might wait a little bit - as I would build onliy in about 1 1/2 years .... currently living near melbourne .... or just buying an existing house instead of building ...

We used to live in Ringwood and Upwey!

Yes you would have that lifestyle. The weather is great in the winter around 20C and gets a breeze in the summer that keeps the island cooler than the mainland.

Well you could buy the block now and build in 1 1/2 years-You could buy an existing house and transport it onto the block. It has been done or build. Once you have bought Coleus street then you could plan for the build. That could take a while to get what you want. I could help with that as I gone into it. I have someone else interested in the land so I could hold it for you make a definite offer. I dont want you to miss out on your dream.

Regards

Gary

Guest serapis

live in tecoma very close to upwey ;-) ....

my dream is an alternative livestyle - solar energy, organic little vegetable garden, quiet livestyle ... doing my little music publishing house via laptop, otherwise daily meditations, yoga ... I am not interested in any career as biz runs well and I do everything to fly below radar - far away from every club, bar, town ... but close enough to be able to go shopping sometimes;

Will take me a while as now is christmas .... so if someone buys the property - thats ok .... might only buy middle / end of next year as I have to drive up and see myself ... prices will also come down again, next year I expect the final collapse of EU and maybe even USA .... in py opinion everybody who wants to sell ... sell now as its 50:50 what happens next year .... doesnt look to good ...

Guest smeggie
live in tecoma very close to upwey ;-) ....

my dream is an alternative livestyle - solar energy, organic little vegetable garden, quiet livestyle ... doing my little music publishing house via laptop, otherwise daily meditations, yoga ... I am not interested in any career as biz runs well and I do everything to fly below radar - far away from every club, bar, town ... but close enough to be able to go shopping sometimes;

Will take me a while as now is christmas .... so if someone buys the property - thats ok .... might only buy middle / end of next year as I have to drive up and see myself ... prices will also come down again, next year I expect the final collapse of EU and maybe even USA .... in py opinion everybody who wants to sell ... sell now as its 50:50 what happens next year .... doesnt look to good ...

Well it certainly could work thats for sure-I know Tecoma; a nice place-not sure if they will let EU fail-too much to loose-Ok tell me if you are interested-I am sure we could make this happen.

Guest serapis

yep ;-) will contact you if I plan to buy ..... well in europe - I am afraid - still people are not aware of "what" the problem really is .... not only in greece - but also in austria - where I was born - there s an army of 890.000 statesman (only 8,5 million population) .... highly paid, early retired, pensions above 8.000 euros sometimes per month ... not kompetent, unfriendly, hard to get on the phone .... extremly confusing tax rules .... germany taxed an austrian citicen "income tax" on turnover which came from USA distributor .... they made me apply for 20 companies .... for each an extra form .... I had to wait and beg for 1/2 a year till it was trough, then I had to recalculate for more than 500 artists .... and after 2 years same procedure again ..... it was an absolute nightmare .... where s the advantage of being in a EU if all these problems only accur if you deal with partnercountries???

now I pay tax in Australia - a little bit higher than in Austria but absolutly NO problems .... even with the german tax ... you only have problems if you live there, for overseas partners everything is fine ....

this will take decades if they will ever make it easier .... and that s only austria / germany .... in italy, greece and spain problems are much worse ....

Guest smeggie
yep ;-) will contact you if I plan to buy ..... well in europe - I am afraid - still people are not aware of "what" the problem really is .... not only in greece - but also in austria - where I was born - there s an army of 890.000 statesman (only 8,5 million population) .... highly paid, early retired, pensions above 8.000 euros sometimes per month ... not kompetent, unfriendly, hard to get on the phone .... extremly confusing tax rules .... germany taxed an austrian citicen "income tax" on turnover which came from USA distributor .... they made me apply for 20 companies .... for each an extra form .... I had to wait and beg for 1/2 a year till it was trough, then I had to recalculate for more than 500 artists .... and after 2 years same procedure again ..... it was an absolute nightmare .... where s the advantage of being in a EU if all these problems only accur if you deal with partnercountries???

now I pay tax in Australia - a little bit higher than in Austria but absolutly NO problems .... even with the german tax ... you only have problems if you live there, for overseas partners everything is fine ....

this will take decades if they will ever make it easier .... and that s only austria / germany .... in italy, greece and spain problems are much worse ....

Do u do music? I am an artist actually I am located in the UK now-we are hearing alot about the problems-they will have to implement reform thats the only way. There will have to be a centralised tax system and a centralized banking system-

I lived on the "mad mile" by the way and had trees fall over so it was a nightmare in upwey- much calmer here! r u a music publisher/distributor-what type of music? I have always wanted to do something with my music!! We nearly got an album cut but Mushroom lost the master tapes in those days no computer-

Guest serapis

Hello,

Yep - music publisher, just moved my whole biz to australia - we do production music libraries and digital distribution - http://www.ton.cc ;

every day I experience the european unability to move on, to create new ways; even companies, musicians, composers and producers, everything is slow, always discussions betweent hose who want to publish a song and one singer, guitarist e.g. who doesnt .... its a nightmare ... anyway a bit off topic in this forum ;-) .... will decide next months if I buy on russell island - at least my money wouldnt stay in the account of an european bank ...

Guest smeggie
Hello,

Yep - music publisher, just moved my whole biz to australia - we do production music libraries and digital distribution - www.ton.cc ;

every day I experience the european unability to move on, to create new ways; even companies, musicians, composers and producers, everything is slow, always discussions betweent hose who want to publish a song and one singer, guitarist e.g. who doesnt .... its a nightmare ... anyway a bit off topic in this forum ;-) .... will decide next months if I buy on russell island - at least my money wouldnt stay in the account of an european bank ...

OK -just let me know when u are ready-drop us a line-

• 1 month later...
Guest serapis

have been on russell island middle of feb 2012 as I was interested in buying a block of land:

I didnt have a very good impression, is there any locals who can tell be about the daily live on the island?

My impression was not so good esp when I saw a few quite weird people running around next to ferry and supermarket ...

Archived