Healthcare cover for Brit with one year working visa

gillyml

My young friend is going out to Aus soon on a year long 417 working visa. I'd appreciate any advice on what sort of health cover he should be looking to buy. Also, what level of cover would he have on Medicaid? Is it the same as residents of Aus, or less? Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

47 minutes ago, gillyml said:

My young friend is going out to Aus soon on a year long 417 working visa. I'd appreciate any advice on what sort of health cover he should be looking to buy. Also, what level of cover would he have on Medicaid? Is it the same as residents of Aus, or less? Thanks .

He would be entitled to reciprocal (largely emergency) Medicare coverage only. 

No idea about Medicaid, they are a private insurer o you'd need to check their website. 

Sorry I meant Medicare ( predictive text came up with Medicaid !) Yes I know he would get emergency cover with Medicare but wondered what people do to 'top up' their cover when they go over for a year.

I thought there were travel insurance options for WHV holders -he should get travel insurance for his time away, it covers things like lost belongings and repatriation in case of catastrophe as well as medical costs over what might be covered by a Medicare.