Returning to Blighty after nearly 8 years in Queensland!!

Lady Tottington

Hi ya thanks for your reply sounds like we're doing a swop lol I'm a financial controller. Live in Essex, no ties so was thinking if I move it would be cheaper living (rent a room in shared via Gumtree etc) until I'm established and look for temporary work, part time. So a career backwards step but that's the price of lifestyle choice I guess. Plus I reckon work ain't so plentiful until you get your foot in the door and not being native probably doesn't help. BUT the otherside side of the coin is in settled in a good job, secure etc so why risk it?! You tried it for 13yrs!! Dual citizenship now? Yet STILL coming home to UK? That concerns me. Though you're not the only one.
Best of luck though. Hey perhaps do a job swop lol

Hi ya thanks for your reply sounds like we're doing a swop lol I'm a financial controller. Live in Essex, no ties so was thinking if I move it would be cheaper living (rent a room in shared via Gumtree etc) until I'm established and look for temporary work, part time. So a career backwards step but that's the price of lifestyle choice I guess. Plus I reckon work ain't so plentiful until you get your foot in the door and not being native probably doesn't help. BUT the otherside side of the coin is in settled in a good job, secure etc so why risk it?! You tried it for 13yrs!! Dual citizenship now? Yet STILL coming home to UK? That concerns me. Though you're not the only one.

Yes I job swap would be good lol! Be careful the cost of living here in Australia has increased significantly in the last 10 years. Also, medical expenses are high as Medicare does not cover all medical costs we have spent thousands of dollars on medical expenses just in the last 12 months.. (no cover if a temp resident - best check this) one I have also found that Australian company's prefer to employee Australians, even though I am a dual citizen.

Australia has never felt like home to us and we do not want to die here. If we don't do it now our son will have to finish school & uni etc.. then it will be more difficult for us to get work. It has been tough as my parents are in Qld too but have decided to stay here. Even though we have offered to organise everything with the move. Consequently my parents have cut off contact wth us.. Oh the joys of family....
  • Like 2

Jes! In alot of ways in glad I don't have family (grew up in Care) keep in touch and best of British!

Thank you :) any questions you have re moving to Australia will be happy to help... This forum is wonderful for providing support and guidance...

7 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

NO ONE TELLS YOU ITS DARK BY 7PM!!! That amazes me! 

Because it's not true of Australia.    It can be true of some parts of the country - depending on the distance from the equator and whether there is daylight saving (which some states don't have).   

Darwin June 7 am - 6.30

32 minutes ago, Skani said:

Because it's not true of Australia. 

I'm having trouble editing and posting  this morning so I couldn't finish the above post.  I was going to say:

It varies according to

1    season
2    distance from equator (Oz north to south is equivalent to the distance from North Africa to Norway)
3.    whether there is daylight savings (some states do, some states don't).

Here in Hobart, in midsummer, sunset is 8.45 and it doesn't get dark for an hour after that.

On the upside, nowhere in Oz has the short daylight hours of a UK winter.  

For Brisbane, look here:
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/brisbane
Brisbane (Queensland) doesn't have daylight saving.

3 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

And I think there was a table for most of the major Oz cities which didn't seem much different.

Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide get dark between 8 and 9 pm in midsummer:  not only further south than Brisbane but have daylight saving.

Ooh the

8 hours ago, MelT said:

Yes I job swap would be good lol! Be careful the cost of living here in Australia has increased significantly in the last 10 years. Also, medical expenses are high as Medicare does not cover all medical costs we have spent thousands of dollars on medical expenses just in the last 12 months.. (no cover if a temp resident - best check this) one I have also found that Australian company's prefer to employee Australians, even though I am a dual citizen.

Australia has never felt like home to us and we do not want to die here. If we don't do it now our son will have to finish school & uni etc.. then it will be more difficult for us to get work. It has been tough as my parents are in Qld too but have decided to stay here. Even though we have offered to organise everything with the move. Consequently my parents have cut off contact wth us.. Oh the joys h of family....

oh the joys of family ???...not ???

8 hours ago, MelT said:

Australia has never felt like home to us and we do not want to die here. If we don't do it now our son will have to finish school & uni etc.. then it will be more difficult for us to get work. It has been tough as my parents are in Qld too but have decided to stay here. Even though we have offered to organise everything with the move. Consequently my parents have cut off contact wth us.. Oh the joys of family....

Picking you up on your statement about no Medicare as a temporary resident? Depends which country you come from as some eg UK have reciprocal health agreements. We are on the self funded 410 retirement visa and this is about the only one that I know of that has no Medicare cover, even though we come from UK, we have to have health insurance.

Sorry you are out of pocket on medical expenses, I've had a rough year, but luckily not only covered by insurance, but actually well ahead of my annual cost against amount claimed.

Also sorry about your parents, 

49 minutes ago, ramot said:

Picking you up on your statement about no Medicare as a temporary resident? Depends which country you come from as some eg UK have reciprocal health agreements. We are on the self funded 410 retirement visa and this is about the only one that I know of that has no Medicare cover, even though we come from UK, we have to have health insurance.

Sorry you are out of pocket on medical expenses, I've had a rough year, but luckily not only covered by insurance, but actually well ahead of my annual cost against amount claimed.

Also sorry about your parents, 

Out of interest were your parents already in QLD or did they move with you or come to join you?  Perhaps they have uprooted once already or just very happy in QLD? We don't know the circumstances.

I ask because when we retired having worked in Brunei for 10 years we had to decide whether to go, back to U.K.? if so where should we go? The choices were back to our old village, yes friends there but all 3 of ours lived at least 2/3 hours away all in different directions.

The obvious choice was to move near our married son and grandchildren in Bristol where we knew no one else, but then 6 months or so later he might have got a new job and off to pastures new, leaving us living somewhere we didn't want to be and feeling very annoyed!

So we decided to do what we wanted to do and came on our own to Oz, we weren't ready to go back to UK so decided to experience somewhere new. I dare say ours were a bit unhappy to start with but accepted and respected our decision. 2 of ours ended up following us to Oz, they intend to stay here, as we do, but no one knows the future.

Parents don't have to do what their children want them to do. It's sad and I think wrong that yours aren't talking to you, perhaps you have to be the grown ups and sort it out, but try to look at from their point of view as well if possible. 

Out of interest were your parents already in QLD or did they move with you or come to join you?  Perhaps they have uprooted once already or just very happy in QLD? We don't know the circumstances.
I ask because when we retired having worked in Brunei for 10 years we had to decide whether to go, back to U.K.? if so where should we go? The choices were back to our old village, yes friends there but all 3 of ours lived at least 2/3 hours away all in different directions.
The obvious choice was to move near our married son and grandchildren in Bristol where we knew no one else, but then 6 months or so later he might have got a new job and off to pastures new, leaving us living somewhere we didn't want to be and feeling very annoyed!
So we decided to do what we wanted to do and came on our own to Oz, we weren't ready to go back to UK so decided to experience somewhere new. I dare say ours were a bit unhappy to start with but accepted and respected our decision. 2 of ours ended up following us to Oz, they intend to stay here, as we do, but no one knows the future.
Parents don't have to do what their children want them to do. It's sad and I think wrong that yours aren't talking to you, perhaps you have to be the grown ups and sort it out, but try to look at from their point of view as well if possible. 

It's a long story.. My parents came to Australia with us and we all moved to Victoria. Then out of the blue (after 4yrs) my parents decided to move to Qld. They told us a week before they moved. We were quite happy to stay in Vic, but I was always put under pressure to move to Qld with them. My husband was offered a promotion to move to Qld (still 4 hrs from my parents but much closer). It was as close as we could get, as work where my parents lived was few and far between. That was 7 years ago. My husband and I always said if Qld did not work out we would not move again here but go back home. Both of my parents have health issues so 2 years ago decided to downsize and move closer to us. In the meantime we have other issues which re-I force our decision to go back home, which initially my parents wanted too. We have been very open and honest with them. Once we made the decision last year they changed their minds. That is the v short version of events sorry... I am an only child and all my close friends are in the Uk, and all my husbands family are in the uk too.. It's a tough one..
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah the dreaded only child situation! Me too, and it really mucks you about. We decided to care for my parents thinking “it can’t be long” - that was 6 years ago and now we are waiting for my 94 yr old dad to pop off - he won’t entertain the thought of a care home and while he’s got us 24/7 why would he? My olds were 87 when we didn’t go back to Aus from holiday and neither was totally tip top. If they were in their 60s or even 70s I wouldn’t have done what we did and even now I’m thinking we did the wrong thing but duty calls!!!

I’m inclined to think that selfishness is a pretty good trait to have at this stage of my life!

• Like 3

Even though I am an only child I have my own health issues and cannot care for my parents in a practical sense. My thoughts are I could die first, they might be here for another 20 years.. I have my own family to look after too, we have one child high school age who needs additional support.. Will get more help in the Uk (already has a place to start school in September). Plus many other reasons for returning home.

• Like 3

On 04/02/2018 at 21:47, Jay2016 said:

It shouldn't concern you to be honest, for as long people have been migrating some have been returning to their home country. We are talking about people moving between 2 First world countries, not from 3rd world. There's little to choose between the 2 countries in any measurable way, kids still have the same opportunities, most people don't live in poverty, there is practically equal rates of home ownership, broadly similar rates of unemployment etc etc. The number of people returning home does appear to have increased and that seems to be due to Australia becoming a much more expensive country. 

• Like 4

On 2/11/2018 at 01:21, bristolman said:

It shouldn't concern you to be honest, for as long people have been migrating some have been returning to their home country. We are talking about people moving between 2 First world countries, not from 3rd world. There's little to choose between the 2 countries in any measurable way, kids still have the same opportunities, most people don't live in poverty, there is practically equal rates of home ownership, broadly similar rates of unemployment etc etc. The number of people returning home does appear to have increased and that seems to be due to Australia becoming a much more expensive country. 

I'm not sure it's because of cost.  I think it's for the reason you already stated - there's not much to choose between the two countries any more.   If you migrate to Australia and find yourself on the same treadmill as you were on the UK, but miles from family and friends, then it's a no-brainer to go home, really.  

The other reason is, of course, that people move for the wrong reasons.  I cringe every time I see someone talk about it being "their dream" to move to Australia.  I feel like saying, "if it's a dream, honey, it's fantasy not reality!"  When I came to Australia over 30 years ago, I had three job offers in a week and could easily afford a lovely flat in a beachside suburb.  I think too many people in the UK have uncles or aunties or friends' parents who had the same experience, and they think it's still the same - which it isn't. Plus of course, there's a whole generation of adults in the UK who grew up on Home & Away and think we all live like that.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure it's because of cost.  I think it's for the reason you already stated - there's not much to choose between the two countries any more.   If you migrate to Australia and find yourself on the same treadmill as you were on the UK, but miles from family and friends, then it's a no-brainer to go home, really.  

The other reason is, of course, that people move for the wrong reasons.  I cringe every time I see someone talk about it being "their dream" to move to Australia.  I feel like saying, "if it's a dream, honey, it's fantasy not reality!"  When I came to Australia over 30 years ago, I had three job offers in a week and could easily afford a lovely flat in a beachside suburb.  I think too many people in the UK have uncles or aunties or friends' parents who had the same experience, and they think it's still the same - which it isn't. Plus of course, there's a whole generation of adults in the UK who grew up on Home & Away and think we all live like that.  

Yes I agree with all that. My comment about cost was tied into there being little difference between the 2 countries, when you take higher costs into consideration it can be the straw that breaks the camel's bacķ. In the winter here people say to me oh I bet you are missing the weather back in Oz, I just smile :)

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:35, MelT said:

Interesting, I have just come back from a planning visit to the uk (January)I was able to be more active (go for walks etc) more than I ever do here. Where it is too hot and too dangerous with the extreme UV's (already given me skin cancer). I look forward to the long light evenings in the uk in the summer which we never get here in SE Qld. We have also had days of unrelenting rain here in Qld last week (& storms) so Australia's weather is far from perfect and is very extreme and harsh and an unforgiving climate. The U.K. Is far more temperate.

Nothing worse than being stuck in a single glazed concrete sweatbox with your air con fighting a losing battle...and dreaming about being back home filling your lungs full of nice fresh crisp winter air.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:51, Home and Happy said:

Nothing worse than being stuck in a single glazed concrete sweatbox with your air con fighting a losing battle...and dreaming about being back home filling your lungs full of nice fresh crisp winter air.

but not in Birmingham ???

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

but not in Birmingham ???

in saying that , myself and my wife watch a lot of these " 2nd home away from the u.k in the winter " programmes .....spain etc

and not once have I thought wow !!!!!...that will do me , lets do it .??

if I could do it ...it would probably be w.a or Florida for the u.k winter ....

44 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

in saying that , myself and my wife watch a lot of these " 2nd home away from the u.k in the winter " programmes .....spain etc

and not once have I thought wow !!!!!...that will do me , lets do it .??

if I could do it ...it would probably be w.a or Florida for the u.k winter ....

Florida would be the last place I would go, actually no WA but very close lol. 

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:30, Toots said:

I'd go for the WA coast south of Perth any time.   Truly, of all the places in the US, Florida would be the last place I'd want to go to.

marbella on the costa del sol SOUNDS good in the winter ...but the weather is only 5-10c warmer than here ....no good ?

• Like 1