Returning to Blighty after nearly 8 years in Queensland!!

Lady Tottington

Its been one hell of a journey, after my partner was working in the FIFO industry for 5 years, 4 cycles of IVF, 2 live births, a miscarriage, never feeling so lonely, and so emotional,our (partners) parents health deterating we have decided to go HOME, we are so excited but it does come with its complications. Our daughter was 13 when we arrived here and is now studying at Uni, has got her circle of friends and is pretty content. Me and OH on the other hand are miserable, homesick, skint (yes we both work), we argue alot due to our circumstances and want to chuck in the towel for our life back in Yorkshire.

One of the inlaws had a heart attack last year and was on deaths door and I see my mother is deteriorating with some form of dementia, my little boys hardly know their grandparents, nor their uncles, aunts and cousins. The guilt we feel for not being there for the oldies is huge, we feel so helpless and this is when you realise just how far away Australia is.

We believed that moving to Australia would be a dream come true, and honestly it was for the first 2-3 years, we had our ups and downs but on a hole it was good, gorgeous house, pool, good jobs, daughter went to fantastic private school, two beautiful babies which we never thought we would have. The sun shines most of the time, but even that becomes a burden and limitation. Its a very lovely (lonely) part of the world BUT its not home, it just doesn't feel right, I feel trapped, lonely and teary, i started having anxiety, I miss my old life so much, moving here wasn't a mistake or anything. Infact I certainly don't regret doing it, its been an experience (an expensive experience) but its part of us now.

We are planning on leaving for rainier shores in the New Year, I would go home tomorrow if I could, we are very fortunate we only sold one of our houses and still have one to go back to (when the tenent leaves). We are trying to line up tradies to get it renovated before our return. Our son is due to start (UK) school this Sept this year but I've contacted the UK education authority and he can start Sept 2018 as his birthday is end of June, so that works really well, I'm able to get a job as soon as im ready, thats not a problem, straight back into the NHS, so the main obstacle is my OH to get a job which he is trying to do prior to leaving Australia. Then its the heartbreak of leaving our daughter here. Leaving her has made me so sick to my stomach, but she is 21 soon and totally independent, she has her own life, she keeps saying when she finishes her course and gains her experience, she will return to be with us. (Approx 3years) I guess thats what I have to hold onto. Although she is a grown woman, I feel she is still my little girl!!

We are not telling our family or friends that we are returning as too many people would believe us to be bonkers to return, yet I believe until you have made this journey you would never know how it feels. I am so looking forward to being able to pop round to family and friends for a cuppa, proper pubs, cheaper shopping, a mini mortgage, decent TV, home comforts, curry, cheap holidays in the south/west country and Europe and cant wait to drive the M62 [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] (compared to the M1 it will be bliss)

If anyone could recommend shippers that would be awesome, we used Crown to come over, but we need quotes and timing of container to get to the other side. So we can plan well in advance!

Thanks

Lady Tottington

Sent from my SM-T580 using PomsinOz mobile app

• Like 4

I can relate to a lot of what you have written.

With shippers, I personally think all of the big ones are pretty much the same, so just see who comes out better on price.

If you have any pets that you are bringing then get that sorted at an early stage as although there is no quarantine now, there are a lot of regulations.

What does your husband do?

Hi
Can really understand the heartache of leaving your daughter here we are faced with similar situation and are leaving out boys here similar ages eldest plans to leave early next year but after 10 years and it's time to go home
I'm keen to go asap have had some great experiences here but can't wait to walk in the woods care free cold dark Christmas and the felling of being home

Have you thought about self pack shippers works out around half the cost but requires a little work
Hope alll goes well

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 3

Hi
Can really understand the heartache of leaving your daughter here we are faced with similar situation and are leaving out boys here similar ages eldest plans to leave early next year but after 10 years and it's time to go home
I'm keen to go asap have had some great experiences here but can't wait to walk in the woods care free cold dark Christmas and the felling of being home

Have you thought about self pack shippers works out around half the cost but requires a little work
Hope alll goes well

I actually went home for Xmas 2016 and that was the best Christmas I've had in 7 years, it was awesome [emoji5] I cried all the way to Manchester airport for the departure, so didn't want to leave.
No ive never heard of the self moving, when we came out, crown said that they had to pack everything because they did a kind of intinary for every single Item, so everything we had started packing the opened and repacked. I will look into it though, thank you [emoji16]

• Like 1

Lady T - you will love it! Just back from 16 months in the UK - I would have stayed if I could - but due to family pressures I have had to return. One month back, and iI am missing the UK already - not just friends, company, stuff to do, job opportunities - but even the weather! Counting the years down when I hope to retire back there - Your husband will have a pretty easy time finding work - there are a lot of jobs for skilled people. Good Luck and enjoy!

• Like 3

On 7/29/2017 at 01:52, Lady Tottington said:

I actually went home for Xmas 2016 and that was the best Christmas I've had in 7 years, it was awesome emoji5.png I cried all the way to Manchester airport for the departure, so didn't want to leave.
No ive never heard of the self moving, when we came out, crown said that they had to pack everything because they did a kind of intinary for every single Item, so everything we had started packing the opened and repacked. I will look into it though, thank you emoji16.png

You can pack the stuff yourself but the shippers then mark it as packed by owner so they are not liable if there are any customs issues. Customers are more likely to check self packed consignments.

There was no way physically I could self pack my furniture so it was all done for me. The two packers turned up with a 2 metre industrial sized roll of bubble wrap and used way more than I would have. Don't  forget to factor in the cost of materials if you do it all yourself.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 05:56, Lady Tottington said:

Its been one hell of a journey, after my partner was working in the FIFO industry for 5 years, 4 cycles of IVF, 2 live births, a miscarriage, never feeling so lonely, and so emotional,our (partners) parents health deterating we have decided to go HOME, we are so excited but it does come with its complications. Our daughter was 13 when we arrived here and is now studying at Uni, has got her circle of friends and is pretty content. Me and OH on the other hand are miserable, homesick, skint (yes we both work), we argue alot due to our circumstances and want to chuck in the towel for our life back in Yorkshire.

One of the inlaws had a heart attack last year and was on deaths door and I see my mother is deteriorating with some form of dementia, my little boys hardly know their grandparents, nor their uncles, aunts and cousins. The guilt we feel for not being there for the oldies is huge, we feel so helpless and this is when you realise just how far away Australia is.

We believed that moving to Australia would be a dream come true, and honestly it was for the first 2-3 years, we had our ups and downs but on a hole it was good, gorgeous house, pool, good jobs, daughter went to fantastic private school, two beautiful babies which we never thought we would have. The sun shines most of the time, but even that becomes a burden and limitation. Its a very lovely (lonely) part of the world BUT its not home, it just doesn't feel right, I feel trapped, lonely and teary, i started having anxiety, I miss my old life so much, moving here wasn't a mistake or anything. Infact I certainly don't regret doing it, its been an experience (an expensive experience) but its part of us now.

We are planning on leaving for rainier shores in the New Year, I would go home tomorrow if I could, we are very fortunate we only sold one of our houses and still have one to go back to (when the tenent leaves). We are trying to line up tradies to get it renovated before our return. Our son is due to start (UK) school this Sept this year but I've contacted the UK education authority and he can start Sept 2018 as his birthday is end of June, so that works really well, I'm able to get a job as soon as im ready, thats not a problem, straight back into the NHS, so the main obstacle is my OH to get a job which he is trying to do prior to leaving Australia. Then its the heartbreak of leaving our daughter here. Leaving her has made me so sick to my stomach, but she is 21 soon and totally independent, she has her own life, she keeps saying when she finishes her course and gains her experience, she will return to be with us. (Approx 3years) I guess thats what I have to hold onto. Although she is a grown woman, I feel she is still my little girl!!

We are not telling our family or friends that we are returning as too many people would believe us to be bonkers to return, yet I believe until you have made this journey you would never know how it feels. I am so looking forward to being able to pop round to family and friends for a cuppa, proper pubs, cheaper shopping, a mini mortgage, decent TV, home comforts, curry, cheap holidays in the south/west country and Europe and cant wait to drive the M62 emoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.png (compared to the M1 it will be bliss)

If anyone could recommend shippers that would be awesome, we used Crown to come over, but we need quotes and timing of container to get to the other side. So we can plan well in advance!

Thanks

Lady Tottington

I understand your position lady t ...yorkshire has its shiholes and also its areas of great beauty .

MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE WHERE YOU LIVE ...WISELY !

In Britain you can be working inner city ,thinking bloody hell , this is bad ....and an hour later , be in a different world in some rurl village with enviable scenery , housing and lifestyle ....as I say ...CHOOSE WISELY

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

I understand your position lady t ...yorkshire has its shiholes and also its areas of great beauty .

In Britain you can be working inner city ,thinking bloody hell , this is bad ....and an hour later , be in a different world in some rurl village with enviable scenery , housing and lifestyle ....as I say ...CHOOSE WISELY

oh and good luck and choose wisely , there is so much choice ?

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:46, tb said:

Hi

Hope alll goes well

cold ,dark Xmas ..are you mad ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MelT said:

There is a trade off though... Lovely long, light and balmy evenings in the summer.. Can't wait...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sadly Mel , it hasn't been warm and balmy ..a few stinking hot days and then rain ..very unbritish ..more tropical

• Like 1

We still own a house over there which is in quite a rural location, yet only 15 mins to local town and 40 mins to good old Trafford. Great links for M62. This wont be our forever home but it will be a great start. Our intention is a maximum 5 year plan there then move, somewhere still rural but down Shropshire/ Mid Wales way. [emoji5]

You can pack the stuff yourself but the shippers then mark it as packed by owner so they are not liable if there are any customs issues. Customers are more likely to check self packed consignments.
 There was no way physically I could self pack my furniture so it was all done for me. The two packers turned up with a 2 metre industrial sized roll of bubble wrap and used way more than I would have. Don't  forget to factor in the cost of materials if you do it all yourself.

Thanks Scottiegirl, hmmmm we was thinking how much was all the packaging going to cost? After looking into it we are going to pay someone else to do the stress (and packing), this whole process is going to be stressfull enough with no the added pressure, thanks for your advice though [emoji3]

2 hours ago, MelT said:

Depends where you live.. We are hoping to move back to Sussex.

Sussex is where my house is. I came back in June after 16 months and hardly needed to use my brolly or raincoat in that time. The only time the weather got on my nerves was when I was packing to come back during the heatwave  - and that was because I wanted to be out on the bike. As for a dark Christmas - how lovely and cosy - I spent a lot of time last winter in front of roaring fires in friendly pubs with close friends. I'd choose that over sheltering from the heat any day!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, MelT said:

There is a trade off though... Lovely long, light and balmy evenings in the summer.. Can't wait...

Depends where you live here.  We have far longer light evenings here in Tassie.

• Like 1

I'm interested reading your post as, after 2 years in NZ we've decided to move 'home' to Scotland. I don't miss the weather, or the houses, or the job market. But I do miss (most elements of!) family and friends. I often feel lonely, but mainly feel guilt. It's this which lures/drags us home. My sister has just had her 2nd baby last week and my dad is fighting a losing battle with Parkinson's. I figure that down the line, I'd regret not making the most of time with people, so it's decided. Almost. We just had an amazing holiday in the Gold Coast, and in the one day we visited, I fell in love with  Brisbane. It has made me wonder if, rather than wanting to be in the UK, I just don't want to be in NZ. I know for sure I don't want to be in NZ! But the thought of another big move, taking dog, house contents and 2 unwilling kids and starting all over again.Oh dear...I'm worried we will end up being Ping Pong Poms. 

21 hours ago, Lady Tottington said:

We still own a house over there which is in quite a rural location, yet only 15 mins to local town and 40 mins to good old Trafford. Great links for M62. This wont be our forever home but it will be a great start. Our intention is a maximum 5 year plan there then move, somewhere still rural but down Shropshire/ Mid Wales way. emoji5.png

for me ..Warwickshire...worcestershire...herefordshire.....shropshire....some lovely spots

we caught the train from Solihull to Worcester recently ...urban ...very urban ..then out into the country ...beautiful

Worcester is decent

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

for me ..Warwickshire...worcestershire...herefordshire.....shropshire....some lovely spots

we caught the train from Solihull to Worcester recently ...urban ...very urban ..then out into the country ...beautiful

Worcester is decent

WP_20170624_12_40_35_Pro.jpg

• Like 3