Fed Government Job with PR

can1983

Hi,

Has anyone successfully managed to secure a federal government job without pr.

I applied for a job which said non-citizens only considered if no suitable applications are received from citizens.

I've been offered the job as i was the best candidate but now they have to get approval to employ a non-citizen which is holding things up and making me nervous

The government site seems quite clear it needs justification to be approved but otherwise it seems straight forward no more scary than uk employment law.

So should i be worried? any experiences greatly appreciated.

They have to get exemption from their own rules. I enquired after a Fed Got job recently in Vic. I'm a PR and was advised they have to prove beyond contestation that no other applicant can a) either do the job, or b) could be trained into that job. The recruiting agent said the second part is really hard to prove and they weren't prepared to push for this on my behalf (it was a contract/temp post). It's probably different for a permanent job!

4 hours ago, Beffers said:

They have to get exemption from their own rules. I enquired after a Fed Got job recently in Vic. I'm a PR and was advised they have to prove beyond contestation that no other applicant can a) either do the job, or b) could be trained into that job. The recruiting agent said the second part is really hard to prove and they weren't prepared to push for this on my behalf (it was a contract/temp post). It's probably different for a permanent job!

Even harder for a permanent job. At least on a temp/contract the person has an end date. On a permanent contract the government is saying they are happy to employ that person even if they never become a citizen. Can cause all sorts of issues with things like security clearance. 

• Like 1