Full Relocation Package as Social Worker on a 457 Visa

Hi. Can anyone give me any advice. Long story short, after years of debating and consideration me and family are 100% certain that we want to move to Australia. I am a child protection social worker with 5 years experience and my husband is a bricklayer with over 20 years ex. We have explored a number of different options so are well aware of the issues arising from temporary visa’s. However what I am looking for is the cheapest/quickest way to emigrate preferably with a relocation package and under the auspice of both temp and permanent visas and how to go about searching for such positions. 

I know there probably is no easy solution as it all seems fairly complex But thought it may be worth asking as someone may be able to share some knowledge with me! 

Thanks everyone, Laura 

3 hours ago, laura160882 said:

Hi. Can anyone give me any advice. Long story short, after years of debating and consideration me and family are 100% certain that we want to move to Australia. I am a child protection social worker with 5 years experience and my husband is a bricklayer with over 20 years ex. We have explored a number of different options so are well aware of the issues arising from temporary visa’s. However what I am looking for is the cheapest/quickest way to emigrate preferably with a relocation package and under the auspice of both temp and permanent visas and how to go about searching for such positions. 

I know there probably is no easy solution as it all seems fairly complex But thought it may be worth asking as someone may be able to share some knowledge with me! 

Thanks everyone, Laura 

I don't think there's an easy, cheap or quick solution these days.  What I would suggest is that you decide if it is you or your husband who is going to apply for the skills assessment.  My suggestion is to look at PR if you can possibly get it.  Sponsorship generally means temporary, no guarantee of PR and the rules change all the time.  Sponsorship, also ties you into an employer - if you don't like it, then you need to find someone to take on the sponsorship which isn't always easy.  If you have children and are thinking of WA, then there will be school fees to pay (on top of any subject and voluntary contributions/books etc) even at public school.  

Sometimes, any payments for relocation can be subject to being paid back if you don't stay x amount of time.

Have you worked out your points for a PR visa?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laura160882 said:

Hi. Can anyone give me any advice. Long story short, after years of debating and consideration me and family are 100% certain that we want to move to Australia. I am a child protection social worker with 5 years experience

I've already replied on your main thread, but it's worth pointing out that although this thread is about a social worker who got a good relocation package on a temp visa, that was two years ago and it was on the old "457" visa that doesn't exist any more. So I wouldn't necessarily take it as a sign of what's possible.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've already replied on your main thread, but it's worth pointing out that although this thread is about a social worker who got a good relocation package on a temp visa, that was two years ago and it was on the old "457" visa that doesn't exist any more. So I wouldn't necessarily take it as a sign of what's possible.

I agree, I think the time of really generous relocation packages has passed.

23 hours ago, laura160882 said:

Thanks everyone, Laura 

I am reading between the lines of your posts and am assuming cash is tight. We made the move back in 2008 with the same issue. We had a relocation package. We were very frugal, but even then it ended up costing a LOT of money (5 figures). Which we hadn't planned on but luckily had from house sale that we had been hoping to use to buy a place. (Couldn't as a result). 

If you can only afford to do it cheap,y, you probably can't afford to. 

For what it is worth, half - like myself end up back in the UK for various reasons. It isn't a place of dreams like shown on Wanted Down Under. It's just another first world country. No better no worse. Just different. 

• Like 1

Hi. It not that money is an issue.  I just wanted to know the cheapest route in anyone’s experience. We have a cash amount to pay for our own visas, flights and 6 months worth of accommodation and expenses I just didn’t want to spend unnecessarily if there was a less expensive alternative. Thank you for your response.