Full Relocation Package as Social Worker on a 457 Visa

My advice.

Go for it knowing what you know BUT if you can apply for PR ASAP either direct entry 186 or independent 189/190 if at all possible.  Things can and do change as VS noted, and not usually for the better!

If you wait for transition and it falls through at the last minute ( seems to happen a lot if you read these and other forums) your OH will have a limited time to apply for PR also with regard to his age.  Better to get a skills assessment and apply sooner whilst the job is on the list.  In two years it may not be on the list . You could even start the process now and apply for PR alongside the 457.  Personally I would not take the risk without having a plan for PR that didn't rely on an employer, even local gov departments make sweeping cuts..............

Victoria don't charge school fees at the moment but I expect that will change, other states have changed their policy in the recent past.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read, just came across this article http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2017/08/01/australia-may-introduce-mandatory-provisional-visas-permanent-residency

It seems that the Australian Government is considering bringing in mandatory provisional Visas before anyone will qualify for PR in the future, the discussion paper is being released today, views to be submitted to DIBS by 15 September 2017 so I assume we will know more sometime after this date.

Sadly in our case, I do not think we will be able to apply for the PR before we fly out as the Relocation package with the Department of Victoria is only valid on the 457 Visa. We only have the police checks, medical and 457 Visa application left to submit now.

However if granted before March 2018, I wonder if we will still be in for some luck as there is already a 'mandatory 2 year wait' before we might be sponsored for PR with employer and whether they will make it an automatic pathway for 457 Visa holders already on it before they get scrapped...will be following this debate and outcome closely.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:42, Zatara80 said:

Thanks All for sharing your experiences and advice,

Were your partners on full relocation packages sponsored by the Department of Victoria as Social Workers when you faced difficulties with the 457 Visa?

We were planning on selling up regardless as we were looking to relocate in the Midlands from Essex (Plan B if all fails with Australia), with they idea of renting for some time before buying another house as easier, so the house sale was inevitable. The housing market in the UK is somewhat wobbly at the moment so our thought was sell up quickly before Brexit...save our deposit for the future and use the rest of our equity for our relocation and expenses until first salaries.

My husband is in a fortunate situation as a Social Worker as his job is in high demand both in the UK and overseas, getting a job as a locum Social worker (better pay) in the UK would not take long and with strong contacts in different Social Work Departments around different counties is also a positive so we are not worried in that aspect (he is currently working locum and has for the past 3 years and he keeps getting inundated with job offers on a regular basis even though he is in full time employment, in fact some Departments have fought over him in order to have him working on their teams).

I doubt we would be 'standing at the Airport with a suitcase not knowing where to go' should we ever have to leave Australia, in that sense we are fortunate to have family and friends who would gladly assist until rental accommodation could be sorted out or plan B, we also own property in another country so we would never be homeless.

Having Researched Child Protection jobs in Australia, especially in Melbourne, there is a huge gap in the market to fill and we are aware that job markets change and that might not be the situation in the future but I cannot see that CP Social Work jobs would be scarce anytime soon with so many Social Workers leaving the field. My husband has 4 years work experience and an acquaintance of his who currently work as a Social Worker in Melbourne is of the opinion that Social Work is so much easier in Australia than the UK, sure it is different but as he put it: 'you won't regret coming here as a Social Worker.'

Being employed by the Department Of Victoria is another advantage IMO, keen on providing sponsorship and generous relocation packages to then say Bye Bye wouldn't seem logical, especially as they are investing their time and finances on you. The 457 Visa isn't the greatest, I agree on that point but it gives you four years with the opportunity to reapply for another four years. Yes come March 2018 this Visa changes to TSS but your 457 Visa will still be valid for the remaining time after that date if your Visa had been issued already (Info from Australian Border Agency).

So if you have a 457 Visa with four years stay, after two years if your employer is happy with your work standards, you can have them sponsor you on a PR, which take about 1 year to process, leaving you with another year until Visa expires. You would in practice have your PR before the 457 Visa expires should they Sponsor you. My opinion only but as an Overseas Social Worker on full relocation package (or other work areas with full sponsorship and relocation packages) I feel you have a better chance to be sponsored for PR.

For any Social Workers out there...Stay Positive, realistic and do your research...enjoy the journey and life time experience this may bring to you and your family and who knows maybe we will see you Down Under...I sure will keep you updated on this thread of our journey ahead!

Good Luck All!

I don't want to be down on Australia and I know you are looking for a new start and I don't blame you but my experience is that Australia is behind the times in terms of modern day practice in many areas of public service and there is a lot of antagonism towards people coming from outside with new ideas, or at least that was mine and my wife's experience,  I'm not saying don't do it but just consider it and do a bit of research and also I would guess child protection will involve aborigine people which is a intractable problem and highly politicised issue, again I'm sure you have thought about it but a bit of knowledge now will help further down the track, check  back issues of the Sydney Morning Herald for the most left leaning of papers for their take on it in NSW,  it will give you a flavour its The Age I think for Victoria

I completely sympathise with your reason for doing it, but really consider your options before severing your ties here, have you thought about buying a specific house here to rent out to keep a way back into the housing market here if it goes wrong, if you do be carefull about managing agents, you want somebody who guarantees to do quarterly or so inspections of the property internally. 

• Like 2

Thanks BacktoDemocracy,

Are you and your wife Social Workers?

I think our mind is set for a move to Australia, I have close relatives in Sydney and husband is currently in touch with a friend of a friend who relocated to Melbourne from the UK as Social Worker two years ago and the feedback he has been getting around the Social Work role has been really positive so far. Better wages (and no pay freeze), better work/life balance than the UK. There are also better options for Social Workers to enter wider areas of work should they want to.

He has been reading up on the CP role and about the Aboriginal community and I believe he knows what to expect in terms of difficulties, he adapts really well in new surroundings and will be following the practices of the Department with regard to work ethics/practices. We are very aware that this journey isn't going to be an easy one but in the long run we feel it is the best for our family with how things are going here in the UK at the moment and how the next decades will look like - our children will have no future here and we want to give them the best.

I have been reading The Age and Herald Sun almost every day since we decided to move to Melbourne to keep up to date with the latest information and news and further I have been researching the internet and Australian Departments in general.

We are in the process of selling our house, just waiting to exchange contracts any day now and have no plans to buy another house here in the UK straight away as we are hoping to make Australia our permanent home. The House deposit is always going to be saved for a house purchase in the future whether it be Australia (after PR) or UK should all fail. We have another house in another country which we plan on renting out for secondary income and backup.

There seems to be lots of changes in Australia coming and with a new election in Australia next year who knows what will happen but I strongly believe the trade deals between Australia and the UK can only be for the better and if I had a choice between the UK or Australia after Brexit- it would be Australia every time!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatara80 said:

Thanks BacktoDemocracy,

Are you and your wife Social Workers?

I think our mind is set for a move to Australia, I have close relatives in Sydney and husband is currently in touch with a friend of a friend who relocated to Melbourne from the UK as Social Worker two years ago and the feedback he has been getting around the Social Work role has been really positive so far. Better wages (and no pay freeze), better work/life balance than the UK. There are also better options for Social Workers to enter wider areas of work should they want to.

He has been reading up on the CP role and about the Aboriginal community and I believe he knows what to expect in terms of difficulties, he adapts really well in new surroundings and will be following the practices of the Department with regard to work ethics/practices. We are very aware that this journey isn't going to be an easy one but in the long run we feel it is the best for our family with how things are going here in the UK at the moment and how the next decades will look like - our children will have no future here and we want to give them the best.

I have been reading The Age and Herald Sun almost every day since we decided to move to Melbourne to keep up to date with the latest information and news and further I have been researching the internet and Australian Departments in general.

We are in the process of selling our house, just waiting to exchange contracts any day now and have no plans to buy another house here in the UK straight away as we are hoping to make Australia our permanent home. The House deposit is always going to be saved for a house purchase in the future whether it be Australia (after PR) or UK should all fail. We have another house in another country which we plan on renting out for secondary income and backup.

There seems to be lots of changes in Australia coming and with a new election in Australia next year who knows what will happen but I strongly believe the trade deals between Australia and the UK can only be for the better and if I had a choice between the UK or Australia after Brexit- it would be Australia every time!!!

No not SW's, but both worked on edges of public service in QLD, wife ran a hospital charity and I worked for a university..

The SMH, altho NSW, was the most liberal paper I found, it seems like you  are across a lot of it, I sympathise with your dismay about brexit and we are now seriously looking at France ourselves..

Hope it works out for you both, just concentrate on the positives and it sounds like you will have a ready made circle of friends from your husbands work which is essentially to keep it all in perspective. Just consider the distance to work when choosing your location to live and try and tie down the location where your husband is to work because he will be employed by the state, I believe, and they used to be able to move people around, that may have changed tho. 

@Zatara80 I am curious that you feel Australia will offer your kids more opportunities. I guess it depends what they want to do with life. There will always be jobs in hospitality and public services but technology is changing the Australian work place significantly and personally I see this increasing. For example there are 5 TV stations. One has just gone bankrupt and the ABC is continually downsizing. Fast forward 10 years and I reckon there will only be 3 at most. People now stream from overseas. Likewise retail is consolidating as more and more people buy online. The company I worked for downsized by 25% and moved it's  finance and IT services to Asia with no negative consequences for users.

I  guess this applies to Europe as well but technology means fewer and fewer jobs  need to be based in Aus. As for Brexit the UK is likely to take a temporary hit but remember even the great depression of the 30s only lasted a decade. I am not going to predict which country will be in a better state in 10 years time, it could be either IMO.

Anyway you sound like you have thought very carefully about it so good luck with the  move

• Like 1

@BacktoDemocracy Thank you so much for sharing your experience, advice and tips.

Husband was asked what area he wanted to work on the application form as they have several offices all around Melbourne and suburbs (quite a huge recruitment drive at the moment). He was interviewed by the office he had chosen and although his base will be at an office, Social Workers tend to spend as much time out on local family visits etc...as they do in the office. Social workers do not tend to live and work in the same area for obvious reasons so commuting to work within a reasonable distance is something we have planned.

Not aware of Social Workers being moved around Departments in Australia but would have been unheard of in the UK unless you specifically applied for a new role, we will just have to see what happens once he takes up his role in Australia. Being flexible is key I think as they can be asked to attend visits hours away from their office at short notice. It comes with the territory of being a Social Worker, being able to adapt quickly to new surroundings is therefore vital.

I hope all goes well with your plans to relocate to France. Me and the kids are lucky in the sense that we hold dual citizenship (Swedish/UK) and could therefore still exercise our European Rights but the UK is heading for some tough times ahead and I prefer sitting on a beach or toboggan down some snow slopes in Australia while that happens!

@ScottieGirl Thank you for your feedback,

The Brexit is quite a sore thumb at the moment and I believe there is thread on here somewhere so won't go into it politically too much.

A decade is a decade too much if you have already felt the pinch for years under the Conservative Government and IMO the UK will take more than a decade to even recover from this mess, and we don't particularly want to be here when they start asking us to pay the Brexit fee, watch services already cut to the bone shut doors, Armageddon on the streets and watch as Billy No Mates becomes a laughing stock in this post modern world where nothing makes sense anymore.

Apart from Melbourne being voted as The Most Livable City in the World for a number of years now, with higher salaries and no pay freezes, better weather and laid back life styles, excellent education and healthcare are just some of the reasons why Australia will be better suited for our family. This link has got it spot on as to why Australia IMO would offer better opportunities for families such as mine http://dribblestoptops.com/life-with-kids-australia-vs-uk 

As for work opportunities for our kids, well that's for them to decide when they eventually enter the workforce in many years to come and if they want to make the decision to relocate to another country as adults, they have the opportunity as both European/British citizens - the world is their oyster!

• Like 2

@Zatara80 I agree the healthcare system is better, don't  know enough about schools to comment but you certainly pay for the liveability. Melbourne is also one of the  worlds most expensive cities thanks to housing costs. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Whatever the outcome it's  a great opportunity for your family to experience life elsewhere, I started off on a 457 and am very thankful for rhe experience. 

Edited by ScottieGirl

there is a lot of antagonism towards people coming from outside with new ideas, or at least that was mine and my wife's experience,   

Definitely our experience too albeit in a completely different field, Construction industry. It is known as "tall poppy syndrome" I believe!! Not something we had heard of before but it was so true.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Zatara80 said:

@BacktoDemocracy Thank you so much for sharing your experience, advice and tips.

Husband was asked what area he wanted to work on the application form as they have several offices all around Melbourne and suburbs (quite a huge recruitment drive at the moment). He was interviewed by the office he had chosen and although his base will be at an office, Social Workers tend to spend as much time out on local family visits etc...as they do in the office. Social workers do not tend to live and work in the same area for obvious reasons so commuting to work within a reasonable distance is something we have planned.

Not aware of Social Workers being moved around Departments in Atyustralia but would have been unheard of in the UK unless you specifically applied for a new role, we will just have to see what happens once he takes up his role in Australia. Being flexible is key I think as they can be asked to attend visits hours away from their office at short notice. It comes with the territory of being a Social Worker, being able to adapt quickly to new surroundings is therefore vital.

I hope all goes well with your plans to relocate to France. Me and the kids are lucky in the sense that we hold dual citizenship (Swedish/UK) and could therefore still exercise our European Rights but the UK is heading for some tough times ahead and I prefer sitting on a beach or toboggan down some snow slopes in Australia while that happens!

I was just trying to make you aware of WHAT I THINK IS THE CASE, his contract MAY be with the state govt which means the area he MAY be posted to is  state wide not just Melbourne,  I'm not sure if that is the case.

Anybody know if that is right.

• 3 weeks later...
My advice.

Go for it knowing what you know BUT if you can apply for PR ASAP either direct entry 186 or independent 189/190 if at all possible.  Things can and do change as VS noted, and not usually for the better!
If you wait for transition and it falls through at the last minute ( seems to happen a lot if you read these and other forums) your OH will have a limited time to apply for PR also with regard to his age.  Better to get a skills assessment and apply sooner whilst the job is on the list.  In two years it may not be on the list . You could even start the process now and apply for PR alongside the 457.  Personally I would not take the risk without having a plan for PR that didn't rely on an employer, even local gov departments make sweeping cuts..............

Victoria don't charge school fees at the moment but I expect that will change, other states have changed their policy in the recent past.

This[emoji115]. I am also in this position, well kind of. What I presumed was that one is allowed to apply for more than one application at a time so it is possible that you get the 457 done and then soon after apply for a 189 'off your own back'. There is no rule against this as far as I am aware. The body applying for your 457 and the relocation package have nothing to do with the PR visa you would have applied independently. I know two people doing this. This could reduce your worries in case your workplace went tits up. If this is incorrect then I stand to be corrected by someone.

minus b plus/minus the square root of b squared minus four A C all over two A.

[mention=265124]Zatara80[/mention] I am curious that you feel Australia will offer your kids more opportunities. I guess it depends what they want to do with life. There will always be jobs in hospitality and public services but technology is changing the Australian work place significantly and personally I see this increasing. For example there are 5 TV stations. One has just gone bankrupt and the ABC is continually downsizing. Fast forward 10 years and I reckon there will only be 3 at most. People now stream from overseas. Likewise retail is consolidating as more and more people buy online. The company I worked for downsized by 25% and moved it's  finance and IT services to Asia with no negative consequences for users.
 I  guess this applies to Europe as well but technology means fewer and fewer jobs  need to be based in Aus. As for Brexit the UK is likely to take a temporary hit but remember even the great depression of the 30s only lasted a decade. I am not going to predict which country will be in a better state in 10 years time, it could be either IMO.
Anyway you sound like you have thought very carefully about it so good luck with the  move

I know where my money is on the likely 'state of Britain' in 10 years post-Brexit. That is all I am going to say.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 00:38, Apollo said:

Thisemoji115.png. I am also in this position, well kind of. What I presumed was that one is allowed to apply for more than one application at a time so it is possible that you get the 457 done and then soon after apply for a 189 'off your own back'. There is no rule against this as far as I am aware. The body applying for your 457 and the relocation package have nothing to do with the PR visa you would have applied independently. I know two people doing this. This could reduce your worries in case your workplace went tits up. If this is incorrect then I stand to be corrected by someone.

Thank you Apollo, hubby and I have decided to just this after they asked him to submit Skills Assessment this week, so really we have almost everything that is required for PR. He will do the English Test to boost his points required for PR straight after we arrive in Australia on a 457 visa.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2017 at 19:15, Zatara80 said:

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

The Relocation package is sponsored by the Department of Victoria for overseas Social Workers, McArthur the recruitment agency deals with the vetting procedures etc...

He will be employed as an Advanced Child Protection Practitioner in Melbourne (hopefully Footscray office) with a salary of $89,375 Plus Superannuation, they are sadly only offering the relocation package as part of the 457 Visa. With his qualifications and experience, he could also accept the Child Protection Practice Leader vacancy with a salary of $109,969 (however, he feels that he want to get to know the CP role in Australia before taking on more responsibilities).

The Relocation Package includes:

• Full 457 Visa Sponsorship (4 years) for staff member, spouse and dependent children.
  • Relocation Assistance - $7000 (Staff member, spouse and three children).
  • One-Way economy airfare for each family member relocating in accordance with their 457 Visa.
  • Staff member may claim the cost of up to 1 months temporary accommodation upon arrival in Victoria. The department offers assistance through settlement services.
  • Removal and Shipping Costs
  • Staff member can claim the costs of an Australian working visa, accreditation for the Australian Community Workers Association and the Australian Association of Social Workers and relevant international police checks.
  • Airport pick up for staff member and their family.
  • Welcome pack - children given an Australian cuddly toy.
  • First night's accommodation provided in a central location.
  • Housing assistance - support helping staff to find suitable accommodation, visiting properties on their behalf, being a housing referee to verify salaries.
  • Assisting staff to apply for bank account and a tax file number before staff leaves their home country.
  • Linking staff to a migration agent (staff member will pay for this)
  • Linking the staff member with a buddy support group.
  • Health insurance cover information provided to the staff member.

The reason I mentioned school fees are because I came across this article: https://www.tssimmigration.com.au/migration-news/blog/457-visa-holders-to-pay-school-fees-in-south-australia-in-2017

We are not planning to live in the CBD but have been looking at Caroline Springs, Melton and we are expecting to find a house to rent up to $500/week, no council tax I understand as this is the Landlords responsibility but obviously we will have the usual utility bills. We don't mind doing some commuting as this has been the standard here in the UK. We are hoping to eventually buy a house but not until we get PR.

Fully aware that Australia is more expensive in some aspect but very grateful Aldi and Coles exist together with outdoor markets, I am also a fan of Ebay and Groupon, LOL so bargains can be had, just have to look in the right area!!!

McArthur, which deals with the main aspect of the relocation assistance are also there to help spouses settle in so although I am very grateful that they have offered to assist me in finding work through their agency, I am also realistic that I might not have the job before we relocate. Guess we just have to live frugal!

We so want to make this work as I have read some nightmare stories from Expats leaving but everyone's journey in life is different and sometimes you have to take risks or you will never know. It really is Now or Never as husband is 41 (43-44 when we eventually qualify for PR under direct stream).

Don't know how long this process will take but regardless - Here we come Melbourne!

I have also been sponsored as a Child Protection Practice Leader but applied directly to DHHS. I have been provided with the relocation details $7000 is the maximum that they will pay for relocation that includes flights, shipping, visas, housing costs, these are not in addition to the  $7000 is my understanding. DHHS will only sponsor on 457 visa for an initial period of two years, not Permanent visa and they insist on a skills assessment, the UK qualification is not enough evidence for the visa or job offer. I went with AASW this took 6 months to be processed, I think the ACW is quicker though.  My nomination has been approved and visa lodged this week so hopefully wont be too long ?

Edited by Cheryl and Wayne

2 hours ago, Cheryl and Wayne said:

I have also been sponsored as a Child Protection Practice Leader but applied directly to DHHS. I have been provided with the relocation details $7000 is the maximum that they will pay for relocation that includes flights, shipping, visas, housing costs, these are not in addition to the  $7000 is my understanding. DHHS will only sponsor on 457 visa for an initial period of two years, not Permanent visa and they insist on a skills assessment, the UK qualification is not enough evidence for the visa or job offer. I went with AASW this took 6 months to be processed, I think the ACW is quicker though.  My nomination has been approved and visa lodged this week so hopefully wont be too long ?

Thank you, yes we have also recently had confirmed that $7000 is the maximum they will pay for relocation assistance and includes the flights, shipping, visa etc...not that great when you have three kids and won't cover all our relocation costs but it is better than nothing and will really help financially.

We have however had confirmed by McArthur and read the employment package booklet, that the 457 VISA sponsorship by the Department of Victoria that we will eventually be going on will be valid for 4 years, also Social Workers are listed under the MLTSSL Occupation List so not sure why they are just sponsoring you for 2 years? Or are you saying that they are just willing to offer you two years employment on a 4 year visa with the possibility to extend??? Have you applied for a position in Victoria?

Yes sadly the 457 Visa does not lead to automatic PR but with the Skills Assessment now requested by them, we are more than half way there and will be able to apply for PR ourselves without sponsorship.

Sounds like you are well on your way to Australia, good luck and hope you don't have to wait too long as I have read that Visa's are fast tracked for Government Workers, in high demand jobs. Looks like we still have some wait but staying positive!

All the best!

Edited by Zatara80

8 hours ago, Zatara80 said:

Thank you, yes we have also recently had confirmed that $7000 is the maximum they will pay for relocation assistance and includes the flights, shipping, visa etc...not that great when you have three kids and won't cover all our relocation costs but it is better than nothing and will really help financially.

We have however had confirmed by McArthur and read the employment package booklet, that the 457 VISA sponsorship by the Department of Victoria that we will eventually be going on will be valid for 4 years, also Social Workers are listed under the MLTSSL Occupation List so not sure why they are just sponsoring you for 2 years? Or are you saying that they are just willing to offer you two years employment on a 4 year visa with the possibility to extend??? Have you applied for a position in Victoria?

Yes sadly the 457 Visa does not lead to automatic PR but with the Skills Assessment now requested by them, we are more than half way there and will be able to apply for PR ourselves without sponsorship.

Sounds like you are well on your way to Australia, good luck and hope you don't have to wait too long as I have read that Visa's are fast tracked for Government Workers, in high demand jobs. Looks like we still have some wait but staying positive!

All the best!

Hello, yes my position is in Victoria, they will only offer a temporary 2 year contract although will renew it afterwards, the visa is valid for 4 years. I have not heard that government workers are fast tracked, I hope so though, I waited so long for the skills assessment it would be good if the visa comes through quickly, the nomination was approved in 1 week so fingers crossed.

I was surprised at how low the relocation package was, you can claim more moving to another area of the UK but as you say it is something towards the cost and better than nothing ?

Good luck with the process, which skills assessment is your husband applying for? 

Cheryl x

13 hours ago, Cheryl and Wayne said:

Hello, yes my position is in Victoria, they will only offer a temporary 2 year contract although will renew it afterwards, the visa is valid for 4 years. I have not heard that government workers are fast tracked, I hope so though, I waited so long for the skills assessment it would be good if the visa comes through quickly, the nomination was approved in 1 week so fingers crossed.

I was surprised at how low the relocation package was, you can claim more moving to another area of the UK but as you say it is something towards the cost and better than nothing ?

Good luck with the process, which skills assessment is your husband applying for? 

Cheryl x

Hi Cheryl,

So pleased for you, I think if you are on the 457 Visa, they say that it will be processed within two weeks instead of the usual 12 weeks http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/skilled-visas/streamlined-pathway-to-visa-nomination-for-457-visa-holders#.WasYLK-GPvJ

Whilst searching for the processing time, I noticed that The Government of Victoria seems to have removed nominations under 457, please correct me if I am wrong??? http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/visa-nomination#.WasZfa-GPvI 

Maybe they are now prepping us for different Visa routes, not sure what is happening but we will wait and see what the Department says.

On a positive note...the two Visa options they are now nominating under do lead to PR so I guess it's worth the wait, even though it sounds these two routes will take longer to process. Not going to speculate too much but seems that The Department of Victoria are taking no chances with the new changes that will take effect in March 2018.

The agency have asked us to apply for the Skills Assessment for migration purposes, is this what you applied for?

28 minutes ago, Zatara80 said:

Hi Cheryl,

So pleased for you, I think if you are on the 457 Visa, they say that it will be processed within two weeks instead of the usual 12 weeks http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/skilled-visas/streamlined-pathway-to-visa-nomination-for-457-visa-holders#.WasYLK-GPvJ

Whilst searching for the processing time, I noticed that The Government of Victoria seems to have removed nominations under 457, please correct me if I am wrong??? http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/visa-nomination#.WasZfa-GPvI 

Maybe they are now prepping us for different Visa routes, not sure what is happening but we will wait and see what the Department says.

On a positive note...the two Visa options they are now nominating under do lead to PR so I guess it's worth the wait, even though it sounds these two routes will take longer to process. Not going to speculate too much but seems that The Department of Victoria are taking no chances with the new changes that will take effect in March 2018.

The agency have asked us to apply for the Skills Assessment for migration purposes, is this what you applied for?

I know that the DHHS are nominating prospective employees on the 457 visa, they dont offer any other visa initially but can later sponsor for PR via the direct entry scheme or the RSMS which is what I hope to achieve. The Victorian government is able to nominate for others visa's but I think that is via skillselect for invitation to apply.

Yes i applied for the skills assessment with the AASW, it is a requirement for the job offer and the visa, it took 6 months to process which was very furstrating. I think you can use the ACW which may be quicker but not specific to social work so I decided AASW was hhe better option x

Edited by Cheryl and Wayne

Thanks Cheryl,

I think am just confusing myself with all the different information I am absorbing and I think the processing link I sent was referring to pathway to PR after being on 457 rather than 457 visa processing time itself. However, where people have previously stated there is no pathway to PR on 457 visa, this seems to have changed to Streamlined Pathway to PR, which is good news!

I have seen a forum on here specifically for 457 visa processing times and there seems to be a backlog but then it seems some people have been processed very quickly so it might be luck of the straw. Hopefully not too long for you but please give us an update once you hear back so we can get an idea of waiting times.

Hubby is applying via AASW for the same reason you quoted, he is sending off the application next week so it looks as we might spend our last Christmas in the UK.

1 minute ago, Zatara80 said:

Thanks Cheryl,

I think am just confusing myself with all the different information I am absorbing and I think the processing link I sent was referring to pathway to PR after being on 457 rather than 457 visa processing time itself. However, where people have previously stated there is no pathway to PR on 457 visa, this seems to have changed to Streamlined Pathway to PR, which is good news!

I have seen a forum on here specifically for 457 visa processing times and there seems to be a backlog but then it seems some people have been processed very quickly so it might be luck of the straw. Hopefully not too long for you but please give us an update once you hear back so we can get an idea of waiting times.

Hubby is applying via AASW for the same reason you quoted, he is sending off the application next week so it looks as we might spend our last Christmas in the UK.

I know, there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to the processing time which is frustrating when you are trying to plan. The nomination was approved in less than a week so thats good. I just want to stop being in limbo now. I am not sure if AASW still has a backlog but as stated I waited 6 months. I am not sure whether i will be here or in Oz for Christmas, exciting times ?

4 minutes ago, Cheryl and Wayne said:

I know, there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to the processing time which is frustrating when you are trying to plan. The nomination was approved in less than a week so thats good. I just want to stop being in limbo now. I am not sure if AASW still has a backlog but as stated I waited 6 months. I am not sure whether i will be here or in Oz for Christmas, exciting times ?

Good Luck Cheryl and please keep us updated of your journey, would love to hear your experiences and advice, especially as you are in the same profession as hubby and taking the same route as us. I still can't remember where I read that employees of the Department of Victoria are fast tracked as they have some agreement with DIBD, hopefully this is still correct and you will soon be on your way! :) 

6 minutes ago, Zatara80 said:

Good Luck Cheryl and please keep us updated of your journey, would love to hear your experiences and advice, especially as you are in the same profession as hubby and taking the same route as us. I still can't remember where I read that employees of the Department of Victoria are fast tracked as they have some agreement with DIBD, hopefully this is still correct and you will soon be on your way! :) 

I hope so, will definitely keep you updated regarding our journey ?