457 to 186 AGE LIMIT change. Is anyone in the same boat?

3 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Sorry, but there was never a true path from a 457 to PR. You had to apply for - and be eligible - for a totally new visa. All the 457 allowed was that a person applying via company sponsored PR would need a skills assessment if they worked for two years for an employer. 

I doubt they will raise the age ceilings again, in fact if anything it looks like more restrictions are coming in including a possible age ceiling for 457 visas of 45. 

3 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Sorry, but there was never a true path from a 457 to PR. You had to apply for - and be eligible - for a totally new visa. All the 457 allowed was that a person applying via company sponsored PR would need a skills assessment if they worked for two years for an employer. 

I doubt they will raise the age ceilings again, in fact if anything it looks like more restrictions are coming in including a possible age ceiling for 457 visas of 45. 

This is not true. There is a true pathway to PR without a skills assessment and that is why we came here, on the understanding we could do this. They have changed the goalposts on this age limit recently and that is what we are disputing.

On 9/16/2017 at 23:48, VERYSTORMY said:

I do feel for you and your family, but as someone that was on a 457 can't sympathise.  The 457 has a big clue in the title. Temporary. Even without these changes there are many reasons that could have prevented you from gaining PR such as the occupation being removed. If you look through the forum the overwhelming advice has always been to 457 holders to assume you will return at the end of the visa and not seek homes. 

With all due respect we were well aware before we made the move that 457s were temporary. Yes we knew there was a chance we wouldnt get PR from a 457 and it was NOT a decision we took lightly. We made an informed choice to move down under, as my husband has a permanent job contract and many people before us have successfully converted a 457 to PR after the obligatory 2 years. 

May I ask what is your situation now, having been on a 457 visa, am I right to assume you are now a permanent resident?

3 hours ago, Starrynight said:

Hi,

Thanks for the message. I know... it is just awful. Certain people on here keep preaching it's a temporary visa and disregarding the fact it had a route attached to it!! It makes me so angry that these people continue to comment (not helpful), when it is obvious we had a genuine pathway that has been changed mid way through. If the job came off the list then maybe I would accept and understand, but changing the age limit is something different. We were, and still are, sure this will resolve itself, so stay positive and think of this as a glitch that will come to light and be honoured before it passes through parliament!!! Keep in touch.

Hi Starry night,

I understand completely. We came over 4 months before the changes and are 9 months short on the temporary residence transition stream. I think this pathway is what most people convert to PR from a 457 (direct entry wasnt an option for us before July anyway) not on the assumption of PR, but on the realistic chance of PR!!

Existing 457 visa holders should have grandfathering rights, surely?? I hope you are right that this is resolved!!

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You dont need a skills assessment for the 2 year temporary residence transition stream, just direct entry.

18 hours ago, SJB123 said:

With all due respect we were well aware before we made the move that 457s were temporary. Yes we knew there was a chance we wouldnt get PR from a 457 and it was NOT a decision we took lightly. We made an informed choice to move down under, as my husband has a permanent job contract and many people before us have successfully converted a 457 to PR after the obligatory 2 years. 

May I ask what is your situation now, having been on a 457 visa, am I right to assume you are now a permanent resident?

Hi Starry night,

I understand completely. We came over 4 months before the changes and are 9 months short on the temporary residence transition stream. I think this pathway is what most people convert to PR from a 457 (direct entry wasnt an option for us before July anyway) not on the assumption of PR, but on the realistic chance of PR!!

Existing 457 visa holders should have grandfathering rights, surely?? I hope you are right that this is resolved!!

You dont need a skills assessment for the 2 year temporary residence transition stream, just direct entry.

Hi SJB123,

I hope so too. I just wonder how and when we will find out!? At least the company has no worries, so we are going to try to stay positive.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:31, SJB123 said:

Hi Starry night,

incorrect. If you do not have two years experience within Australia you need a skills assessment unless an exemption under Australian study.

12 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

incorrect. If you do not have two years experience within Australia you need a skills assessment unless an exemption under Australian study.

Hi Verystormy,

SJB123 is not saying that. We know you need a skills assessment for the direct entry route. We both know it is 2 years for the other route...and we were eligible to apply after 2 years under that route, before the age limit was changed.

Just now, Starrynight said:

Hi Verystormy,

SJB123 is not saying that. We know you need a skills assessment for the direct entry route. We both know it is 2 years for the other route...and we were eligible to apply after 2 years under that route, before the age limit was changed.

Youre right Starry night. I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that....the only route available for us would have been the 2 year trt anyway, which doesnt need a skills assessment....I am hoping that we are still able to follow that route next December

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJB123 said:

Youre right Starry night. I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that....the only route available for us would have been the 2 year trt anyway, which doesnt need a skills assessment....I am hoping that we are still able to follow that route next December

Yes I know :) Good luck with it. It will be August next year for us hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Starrynight said:

Yes I know :) Good luck with it. It will be August next year for us hopefully.

Thanks, you too. I'm terrified at the prospect of going back to the UK and really hope they see sense for us, we are human after all..

Sorry to keep endlessly plugging our petition, but if theres any chance you could forward it to your family, friends, as many people as you can think of and ask them to sign it I would be really grateful, if it makes a difference/grants us so called "old duffers" an exemption it'll be worth it and I'm willing to try anything to stay in the country I now call home :) 

https://www.change.org/p/peter-dutton-give-me-the-chance-to-apply-for-pr-from-a-457-visa-granted-before-age-limit-dropped-to-45 

45 minutes ago, SJB123 said:

Thanks, you too. I'm terrified at the prospect of going back to the UK and really hope they see sense for us, we are human after all..

Sorry to keep endlessly plugging our petition, but if theres any chance you could forward it to your family, friends, as many people as you can think of and ask them to sign it I would be really grateful, if it makes a difference/grants us so called "old duffers" an exemption it'll be worth it and I'm willing to try anything to stay in the country I now call home :) 

https://www.change.org/p/peter-dutton-give-me-the-chance-to-apply-for-pr-from-a-457-visa-granted-before-age-limit-dropped-to-45 

Me too.  Don't want to go back. I've signed the petition. Is there a way to forward to all fb friends in one click?

1 minute ago, Starrynight said:

Me too.  Don't want to go back. I've signed the petition. Is there a way to forward to all fb friends in one click?

Thanks so much for your support Starrynight!! I'm not sure about the facebook thing, maybe try posting the link on your facebook wall, make it public if you can?? No clue with technology o.O

• 1 month later...

HOT OFF THE PRESS. News from DIBP. Grandfathering for 457 visa holders as at 18th April 2017, you will STILL be eligible for temporary transitional pathway to permanent residency after 2 years (not 3) with your current employer.

This includes the above 45's....announced at a migration conference by DIBP, supposedly being published next week..........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SJB123 said:

HOT OFF THE PRESS. News from DIBP. Grandfathering for 457 visa holders as at 18th April 2017, you will STILL be eligible for temporary transitional pathway to permanent residency after 2 years (not 3) with your current employer. 

This includes the above 45's....announced at a migration conference by DIBP, supposedly being published next week..........

Sounds great but the link doesn't work :( 

Edited by VERYSTORMY
Forum Rules