189 visa processing times increased

From what I understand from reading everything and anything, 355 people have been made redundant from the visa processing depts, as they are the areas most suited to automation. And with regards to the processing times on the border website, they are not expected times, they are based on the average times that visas granted in the previous month (ie June for these latest figures) actually took to process. So if you have a bottleneck of applications, the end of the tax year and a few complex applications then it makes those averages increase. The figures will change again monthly, so they could vary quite a lot from month to month...crossing everything for some improvement, as the thought of staying another year when we feel ready to go is depressing!!

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

• Like 1

Just to give you a heads up we submitted our 189 application on 19th May and today the CO has requested form 80's and medical so things are moving despite the increased processing times. I'd given up hearing something until at December at the earliest ?? 

• Like 3

Just to give you a heads up we submitted our 189 application on 19th May and today the CO has requested form 80's and medical so things are moving despite the increased processing times. I'd given up hearing something until at December at the earliest ?? 

That sounds promising. How many points and occupation are you applying under?
Form 80's is that the character ref's for defective r'ship or something different?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I also think it depends on the complexity of the application and occupation too. 

I've seen many office based occupations take an age even before the update of average processing times. It's seems to me that trades go through slightly quicker?!?...

Also if person A is claiming 10 years work experience with an occupation which has a low ceiling and person B is claiming 0 years experience with a high ceiling, surely person B will have their application dealt with quicker on the basis that there isn't a lot to check before a decision is made??

• Like 2

As much as we try to understand I don't think there's any rhyme or reason or there certainly doesn't seem to be. Our application certainly wasn't a run of the mill straight forward one so I'm surprised it's being dealt with as quick as it has been. Maybe that's a bad sign ? I'm just crossing all fingers and checking emails daily ?? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joeh99 said:

I am a 30 y/o single applicant, secondary school teacher with a clean police record and passed the medical fine. I thought my application would have been finalised quickly...i've been waiting since 20th March...

Are you claiming for "x" amount of years work experience?  This can slow things down

I lodged my 189 visa application on 30th December 2016, CO contact on 23rd January 2017 for PCC, which was submitted on 24th January 2017, since then the application status is at "Assessment in Progress". Can some help me with what to expect, it is over 7 months since submission the SLAs have been updated at least 3 times.

8 hours ago, gertyax1978 said:

Are you claiming for "x" amount of years work experience?  This can slow things down

I am claiming no points for work experience either. My case couldn't be any simplier. I have visited/worked in Australia previously on a WHV; however, that is it.

I think the biggest problem is that life literally goes on hold. Nothing major can be planned! I have just met a girl and after 3-4 dates, things are going well. However, without knowing about the visa, I am unsure what to do! Its so frustrating...

43 minutes ago, joeh99 said:

I think the biggest problem is that life literally goes on hold. Nothing major can be planned! I have just met a girl and after 3-4 dates, things are going well. However, without knowing about the visa, I am unsure what to do! Its so frustrating...

Get on with your life. See how it goes. Even when the visa is granted you have 5 years to make the move.

• Like 3

Woke up today and as usual first thing i checked was my emails- and here it was - emails from immi account. 189 granted.... this s*** is real now... there's so much to do and I'm getting palpitations...
Applied on 8th June and got it on 9th August.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Woke up today and as usual first thing i checked was my emails- and here it was - emails from immi account. 189 granted.... this s*** is real now... there's so much to do and I'm getting palpitations...

Wow congrats!!
Can't remember if you've said already but what was your occupation?

So when are you looking at making the big love?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

1 hour ago, pm79 said:

Great news! V pleased but also v jealous!  Hubby spent hours last night checking out the immi website seeing how long certain ones were taking to be granted. Thanks for the feedback - it's good to hear some positive stories!  Would be good to know what your occupation is :-)

Thanks all. Joeh99 is correct. I'm a GP. Had 80 points. Got my medicals done in feb. But applied for police check after submission on 8th June. Submitted form 80 also after few days. Didnt have any contact from CO.
Thinking of moving in sept sometime. Lots to think about and do now!

• Like 2