Fit to fly?

My dog broke her leg earlier in the year. It was a horrible break which took months to heal (she is an old girl -12 in Sept). My question is, would she be considered fit to fly? She will always have a limp as that leg is now shorter. The metal plate is still in place. Does this cause any problems with airline security?!

From the x-rays the vet has said the cortical plate is very thin. Is it even sensible to consider transporting her across the globe?

Well I'm hoping Bob will see it as he will know whether a plate in a dog's leg is an automatic no-no. I don't think your average vet has much of a clue as regards the nitty gritty of animal transportation abroad. ( no offense intended to the vets reading this!). As this is Bob's bread and butter I'd rather take his advice. To be clear my dog is otherwise in good health but there would be a noticeable limp on examination and as I said there is a metal plate in her leg.

So, plates in legs are pretty common, but fun to show the guys at the airport - sometimes they spot it and worryingly sometimes they dont! But as long as there is a big sticker on the crate saying "this dog has a metal plate in their leg" then a pet can fly with a plate in their leg, back etc etc.

Being lame is not necessarily a reason for being "not fit to fly". Dogs have been flown with all sorts of things - worse than this! 

Short answer is that your dog can fly with a metal plate and a limp - and no real reason why she should not go with you even at the age of 12. if you have not got anyone in UK who will spoil her as much as you do then she will be ok to fly. If you prefer then get a vet associated with a shipping company to do the final vet checks and examination and then they (we) are used to this and know what pets can and cant fly.

Just get the rabies work started early so that it is all ready by the time you want to go.

• Like 1