Stopovers

nava24

Just interested to know if anyone has taken a stopover (not a layover) on the way to Oz. My husband and I are moving in Nov to Aus and just wanted to stop somewhere a few days before the 2nd leg of the trip.

????

yep, I have stopped in Singapore and Hong Kong for 2-3 days each. Very easy to do. Hong Kong has city airport check (at Central and Kowloon train stations) in so you don't need to lug your bags around if your flight is not until late in the day. Also really well connected by train.  Singapore I'm less familar with, but still pretty easy from memory. 

I like the chance to re-set and relax a bit, but also see the benefits in keeping on the move, and getting the flights over and done with! 

Edited by vickyplum
  • Like 1

yep, I have stopped in Singapore and Hong Kong for 2-3 days each. Very easy to do. Hong Kong has city airport check (at Central and Kowloon train stations) in so you don't need to lug your bags around if your flight is not until late in the day. Also really well connected by train.  Singapore I'm less familar with, but still pretty easy from memory. 
I like the chance to re-set and relax a bit, but also see the benefits in keeping on the move, and getting the flights over and done with! 

have been to HK before but I'd love to go back. Singapore i thought of too or Tokyo. Was it pricey may i ask? Thanks for the advice [emoji4]

????

Singapore is excellent and if flying Singapore Air, ask about the Singapore Stopover. It is a scheme they don't advertise much, but is an amazing deal - basically it is a highly subsidized deal for passengers to have a few days in Singapore. We did it and ended up paying £25 for a suite in the Ritz including transfers from the airport and back and attraction tickets to anything in Singapore. One of the big pluses is that you don't even need to check in again as the airline treats you as if you are still in transit.

• Like 4

Singapore is excellent and if flying Singapore Air, ask about the Singapore Stopover. It is a scheme they don't advertise much, but is an amazing deal - basically it is a highly subsidized deal for passengers to have a few days in Singapore. We did it and ended up paying £25 for a suite in the Ritz including transfers from the airport and back and attraction tickets to anything in Singapore. One of the big pluses is that you don't even need to check in again as the airline treats you as if you are still in transit.

This sounds awesome! When did you travel? I assume Singapore is a good airline too? I shall contact them then because i think as much as I'd love to go lay on a beach for a few days (flying in nov from the uk) Singapore sounds like a good idea!

????

26 minutes ago, nava24 said:

have been to HK before but I'd love to go back. Singapore i thought of too or Tokyo. Was it pricey may i ask? Thanks for the advice emoji4.png

????

Not sure on the price to be honest, but don't think it was much more than a straight through / connecting flight, in the grand scheme of things (given how much it costs in the first place to get to Aus!). 

• Like 1

Not sure on the price to be honest, but don't think it was much more than a straight through / connecting flight, in the grand scheme of things (given how much it costs in the first place to get to Aus!). 

Thanks Vicky! :)

????

Guest The Pom Queen

We stopped off in Singapore but we didn't leave the airport as we stopped in the hotel transit you can book it in hourly blocks.

Singapore is ok, my hubby and the boys loved it when we went there on holiday and stayed at Sentosa. Everything is really expensive though especially the hotels. 

Hong Kong I liked but it's funny when I was there I wouldn't say I thought much of it but once I was home I couldn't wait to visit again. They have some great markets and everything is so cheap.

We stopped off in Singapore but we didn't leave the airport as we stopped in the hotel transit you can book it in hourly blocks.
Singapore is ok, my hubby and the boys loved it when we went there on holiday and stayed at Sentosa. Everything is really expensive though especially the hotels. 
Hong Kong I liked but it's funny when I was there I wouldn't say I thought much of it but once I was home I couldn't wait to visit again. They have some great markets and everything is so cheap.

Yes i loved HK but want to explore somewhere together we both havent been. Is everything quite costly then? Even alcohol, food etc?

????

35 minutes ago, nava24 said:

Yes i loved HK but want to explore somewhere together we both havent been. Is everything quite costly then? Even alcohol, food etc?

????

No, Singapore alcohol wise is expensive. HK is cheaper. Food is cheap in HK, Singapore is cheap also when you know where to look. Overall HK is a better deal IMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nava24 said:

This sounds awesome! When did you travel? I assume Singapore is a good airline too? I shall contact them then because i think as much as I'd love to go lay on a beach for a few days (flying in nov from the uk) Singapore sounds like a good idea!

????

A few years now, but it is still going.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/plan-travel/packages/singapore-stopover-holiday/

• Like 1

Dubai can be a good stopover, particularly in Winter when the temperature is beautiful. Although I find with Dubai its a bit like Marmite/Vegemite, you either love it or hate it. 
 Singapore and Hong Kong both are excellent places for a stopover, easily could you find things to do for two days.

With Sri Lankan airlines now flying to Melbourne you can stopover in Colombo which is an awesome stopover, really beautiful, cheap and a little bit off the beaten track. 

Flying with the likes of Asiana, Korean or JAL can offer Incheon or Tokyo, probably bit pricier and could be cold in winter.

With the Chinese Airlines increasing frequency for the Kangaroo route you can find some good stopover deals there, now visa exempt for 72 hour stopovers in many cities and loads to see and do, although out of all the choices above would probably be the last one on my list. China can be challenging... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...