You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

restfamily

What do yo think of Australian Child / day care?

What do people think of long day care centres compared to UK nurseries? I particularly concerned with the staffing levels. In the UK for under 2s the adult to child ratio is 1:3 and in Australia it is 1:5.

Also I seem to be having real difficultly finding a place anytime in the next year!

Thanks

Guest Dave53

My daughter is a qualified Early Childcare Teacher in NSW . She confirms your ratios as correct , in addition for 2+ year kiddies the ratio is 1:11 !!! .

Where is your planned destination ? . I may be able to help with some suggestions if around the Sydney area .

Best of luck ,

Dave

Guest Pasty

My daughter is in preschool (long day) and she loves it, seems to get enough attention, etc. We live in Sydney and my daughter goes to ABC they seem to be the biggest available.

Jackie

Thanks. We are off to Canberra and I have contacted every ABC centre for a place and still no joy, they said I will literally have to wait to the month I want her to start to know if I have a place!

Any other suggestions grateful.

Stephen Biddhpu wrote a book on the psychological impact of daycare on the under three's especially boys, which I have.

It's got to be really high quality in my opinion, luckily because I have so many a nanny works out in my favour. I would not be happy with a 1:5 ratio, you know yourself a 1:2 ratio can be almost impossible at times and your the mother that loves them.

A nanny share might be more affordable.

You could look into Family Day Care http://www.familydaycarecc.com.au/ or maybe an au pair if you are really struggling to find something. We used FDC for our daughter when we still lived in Aus and loved it, the trick is finding a carer you are comfortable with though. Also, if you can't get as many days as you want initially, it's often beneficial to take whatever they can offer (eg. 1 day/week) and you will quite often find that once you have your foot in the door, you get offered more days.

This thread is over five years old.

The OP's kids have long grown out of the need for day care :wink:

and ABC went into recievership and closed down !!!

ratio are now 1:4 for under 3's big shake up in childcare and ratio's are one of the benefits

Please check out Family Day Care as an option and try to look around a good many different services to give yourself the best chance of finding somewhere great for your child.

Visa - MODL 136 Childcare Coordinator

1st TRA application, Nov 06, as a Childcare Coordinator came back positive as Hairdresser so...........

TRA ack 20/03/ app 27/04/07

Visa lodged 14/05/07

PC back 10/07/07

visa ack 14/08/07

C O 26/09/07 (11/09/07)

meds arrived 22/10/07

VISAs granted 14/12/07:biglaugh:

and ABC went into recievership and closed down !!!

ratio are now 1:4 for under 3's big shake up in childcare and ratio's are one of the benefits

Please check out Family Day Care as an option and try to look around a good many different services to give yourself the best chance of finding somewhere great for your child.

What a relief lol