Returning to UK for holiday on Saturday but I have a new passport and DIBP unaware. Help :S

GetMeDownUnder

HI all,

We arrived in Australia 2.5 years ago on a 189 PR and will be flying back for a holiday in 36 hours.

I tried to check in online for your flight but my the system rejected it stating "We are unable to complete check-in for the following passenger(s): 
A valid visa is required for entry. Check that the passenger details given in the booking match with the visa details, or proceed to the airport check-in counter for travel document verification"

I suddenly realised that she now has a new passport and her surname has also changed. 

ImmiOnline only opens form 929 and I am now fairly concerned as to the repercussions involved.

The passport has yet to be used anywhere in the world, Can we leave Australia with her new passport even if it isn't yet linked to her Visa. We could then relax knowing her details will be updated during the 3 weeks that we are away.

Or do I need to rush to a DIBP building and ask them to update her passport details tomorrow? (And presumably they may want her there too - she will be at work).

I will call them first thing but I am hoping that somebody may have some understanding in the interim.

Thanks

Can she not carry the old passport also and show that to verify the visa? I've read of people doing this in the past. And then the update the visa attached to new passport asap. 

5 hours ago, GetMeDownUnder said:

HI all,

We arrived in Australia 2.5 years ago on a 189 PR and will be flying back for a holiday in 36 hours.

I tried to check in online for your flight but my the system rejected it stating "We are unable to complete check-in for the following passenger(s): 
A valid visa is required for entry. Check that the passenger details given in the booking match with the visa details, or proceed to the airport check-in counter for travel document verification"

I suddenly realised that she now has a new passport and her surname has also changed. 

ImmiOnline only opens form 929 and I am now fairly concerned as to the repercussions involved.

The passport has yet to be used anywhere in the world, Can we leave Australia with her new passport even if it isn't yet linked to her Visa. We could then relax knowing her details will be updated during the 3 weeks that we are away.

Or do I need to rush to a DIBP building and ask them to update her passport details tomorrow? (And presumably they may want her there too - she will be at work).

I will call them first thing but I am hoping that somebody may have some understanding in the interim.

Thanks

Fill in 929 and lodge it online if you can asap. Then ring them to advise them you have done it.

Then carry both passports, and allow extra time for check in - if necessary the airline staff can contact DIBP to verify the details, but you need to allow time in case they have to do that. 

• Like 1

It may be you have to download, fill out and send in the mail. Or did you have an immi account? If so see if you can update via that. The immigration info on the updating details explains the options. 

Thanks for your help :)

I tried the immiaccount last night but it didn't let me update. In any case, a surname change automatically stops you from doing it online.

I received my callback and the guy told me that I need an RRV even though I am 2.5 years into my PR. I was very confused.

He sent me an email which confirms that RRV is only required after 5 years of PR so I don't trust anything that I was told.

I think that I will just go down to the local Sydney office and stick it out in a queue and hope they can resolve it for me.

14 hours ago, GetMeDownUnder said:

Thanks for your help :)

I tried the immiaccount last night but it didn't let me update. In any case, a surname change automatically stops you from doing it online.

I received my callback and the guy told me that I need an RRV even though I am 2.5 years into my PR. I was very confused.

He sent me an email which confirms that RRV is only required after 5 years of PR so I don't trust anything that I was told.

I think that I will just go down to the local Sydney office and stick it out in a queue and hope they can resolve it for me.

Fill in 929 and lodge it online if you can asap. If you can't,then send it by fax or email.

Then ring them to advise them you have done it.

Then carry both passports, and allow extra time for check in - if necessary the airline staff can contact DIBP to verify the details, but you need to allow time in case they have to do that. 

Unless it is more than 5 years since your PR was granted, you do not need a RRV.