You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Zoot

Passports and Citizenship query

This is one for the migration agents.  On my local community noticeboard a lady posted that they had attempted to get passports for the family (previous passports having expired many years before) but they were advised that their now adult children would need to obtain a citizenship certificate in their own right before they could apply for a passport this despite having an Australian birth certificate and an Australian passport as children.  Apparently this is a new ruling. Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Sounds strange.

If they had existing Australian passports, they don't need a citizenship certificate for a renewal AFAIK.  I renewed mine in late 2016 and only had to show the old passport so unless something has changed since then.

Depends how long since the old passports expired. You can only renew an Australian passport if it's less than three years since the old one expired.

Any longer than three years since expiry, then it's a new passport application with all the associated identification requirements - like citizenship certificates etc. 

• Like 2

Yeah seemed a bit odd to me too.  Even if old passport had long expired I understood that a child of PR parents or citizenship parents automatically got PR.  Would have Oz birth certificate etc.  This sounded so strange and if it is indeed a change that could affect many other people in that their kids would need to apply for citizenship when they became adults.

Getting a citizenship certificate is not the same as applying for citizenship. It's just getting proof of the citizenship you already have.

Having an Australian birth certificate proves nothing - it certainly doesn't prove you're a citizen nowadays.

7 hours ago, Zoot said:

Yeah seemed a bit odd to me too.  Even if old passport had long expired I understood that a child of PR parents or citizenship parents automatically got PR.  Would have Oz birth certificate etc.  This sounded so strange and if it is indeed a change that could affect many other people in that their kids would need to apply for citizenship when they became adults.

If you are born there as the child of a tourist you get an ozzie birth certificate. Doesn't make you a citizen. 

It is a recent requirement to provide a certificate of citizenship.  So they will need to apply for one before they can apply for new passports.  

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: