would the same Skills Assessment be valid for the 186 and 190?

Jellica

Hi,

me and my partner are trying to move our little family to Oz ... preferably permanently and we have family in Melbourne so are looking that way.

The only way we can land in Melbourne is via the 186(DE) visa and this is the box I checked on the skills assessment when I submitted it to Vetassess.

However I have just been reading how ACT (Canberra) might possibly sponsor and that it would be a faster route and still reasonably close to Melbourne so now I'm looking at the 190 Visa a bit more closely.

So my question is ... Would the Skills Assessment thats currently processing be valid for both? or only the 186 as it asked which visa we were applying for ... surely the skills assessment is the same?

I have searched the tinterweb but am finding nothing so if anyone can shed any light it would be great, failing that I shall email Vetasses directly.

Thanks for reading

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

Hi, Thanks for the replies, relieved we dont need to pay for another skills assessment.

Stormy, we dont have a sponsor yet, but we have been talking about emigrating for a few years and my fella is a well qualified cardiac technician with over 10 years experience and he has a few contacts so we'll see if they come through for us now we have decided to push forward with the move. Im a little skeptical ... hence the interest in the 190, which seems like a simpler and faster visa to go for.

any thoughts would be gratefully received ... I'm thinking if we dont find a sponsoring employer in the 12 weeks the skills assessment takes then we should concentrate on the 190 instead :)

Well, the first thing is that you cant start an application for a 186 until you have a sponsor - they start the process. Also, they normally opt for a 457 rather than a 186 due to time - a 186 can take many months.

The occupation is closed on the ACT list which means sponsorship from ACT is not available http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/workspace/uploads/documents/act-occupation-list-july-17.pdf

Tasmania and South Australia are sponsoring, but only with certain requirements including a job offer.

Hi, yeah that's why I'm giving it the 12 weeks to find a sponsor whilst the skills assessment is processed. Cardiac tech jobs are often advertised with 457 sponsorship available so, I'm hoping they might go that bit further if we push and with my partners experience & Qualifications ... plus the 457 is a bit of a gray area right now. You never know, these contacts might just pull through for us after all [emoji6]

ACT will consider applications on closed occupations if you have a job offer etc. SA wont sponsor for the 190 if you are applying from overseas, only the 489 so that ones a no for us and we're not sure about Tas.

With all these changes, PR just seems like the thing to aim for, so we dont get shipped back ?

Different occupation, but sounds like you're facing a similar challenge to me.

In the process of talking to potential employers about the 186, with the plan being to head out on a 457 with the 186 application in the background.

Still trying to get clarity on the impact of the March 2018 changes if I secure a 186 nomination for an STSOL occupation that hasn't been processed by that time.